Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 18th, 2014 22:00

N5110 Audio Driver Issue

I have a Dell Inspiron 15R N5110 (mid 2011) that runs Windows 8.1.1

Recently, after performing a refresh, I downloaded the drivers again to install them. The audio driver on the N5110 page (arrived at with or without my service tag) says upon extraction that it is only compatible with  m5040 , n5040,  m4040 models. Please provide the correct drivers for the correct model.

When downloaded, the driver works for 2 minutes and then gives a message that "the hardware is not recognized by this IDT package" . In Event Viewer it says PnpDriverImportError for a file called "stwrt64.inf".

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 19th, 2014 05:00

Dell Inspiron 15R N5110 (mid 2011) that runs Windows 8.1.1

Hello. Dell does not support Win 8.1 on the 15R N5110 model. To see what I mean, go to the Inspiron 15R support page, click on the Operating System drop down box and you will see that only Windows 7 and 8 are supported.

I also checked on Dell's ftp server and confirmed that there is no 8.1 IDT audio driver available for your model.

You can find the IDT driver in your laptop's Device Manager in the Sound...Controllers category, right click on it, click Properties, click on the "driver" tab, and select "Rollback driver" to try to get back the previous driver you were using.

Or install the Windows 8 IDT audio driver for your model using compatibility mode.

Or just don't try to use an IDT driver. Windows has its own generic native audio driver that will run the audio when there is no vendor (IDT) driver.

8 Posts

October 6th, 2014 11:00

I found the problem myself but it must be solved by a Dell technician. The certificate of the driver installation executable expired 8/29/2014. For that reason alone the driver will not install because the OS is rejecting the expired certificate, as it should. 

TO DELL TECHNICIANS: Make sure that, besides changing some text to show N5110 on the list of supported devices in the driver unpacking utility, you also change or update the CERTIFICATE. I can't believe you only changed the text in a window to try and alleviate the issue. I guess Dell should have some layoffs as well, since I was more qualified than Dell tech support in finding the problem.

TO PEOPLE THAT HAVE THE SAME ISSUE: The easiest way to bypass the certificate verification is to set your clock back to make it appear as the certificate is still valid. DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. Hopefully Dell technicians will just do their job and update certificates. 

8 Posts

September 19th, 2014 11:00

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately for me, I'm knowledgeable enough and have tried a lot of things. I should mention this was not a problem in the past, using the exact same OS version. The driver on the website was the same version when Update 1 came out and I used it successfully back then. Windows 7 versions of the audio driver on the website are fine, but their control panel asks for .Net v2.0. be installed as a prerequisite. If you run the auto-extract utility of the W7 driver, it states explicitly that it is N5110 compatible. It is not the case with the W8 one, which can only mean Dell employees tasked with the content on the support website need to look into getting back the correct driver for N5110, which I personally tested with Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Update 1 without issues. I love Dell products, but support could use some improvement.w

8 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 02:00

Can you please tell Dell Support to match the driver with the model? There are quite a few people that talk about IDT drivers being incompatible with the same machines that were perfectly compatible not long ago. Now I know you're not associated with Dell, but if you happen to have contact with one of their support techies, try to relay the problem to their eyes and ears, if possible. Thank you again for responding faster than actual Dell employees.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 23rd, 2014 07:00

Okay, I will notify some people. I am inserting here a screen shot to show what you are talking about, that the Windows 8 audio driver for the Inspiron N5110 says it is not compatible with that model. It makes no difference whether the driver is obtained from the N5110 support page or the ftp site.

Windows 8 IDT driver 92HD87B1 (v. 6.10.0.6241, A00) for the Inspiron 15R N5110

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 25th, 2014 06:00

I have not heard back from anyone at Dell, but I did get a reply from natakuc4 who is the forum's most knowledgeable person when it comes to unsupported drivers. He says that it is the correct Windows 8 audio driver for the N5110 model. He wrote:

"It doesn't matter about the models it lists as compatible on that screen. That system has the IDT 92HD87B1 audio as stated with the Windows 7 driver (where I have seen very few problems with). In addition its not been updated since last year.

Mentioned on the thread is the .Net Framework dependency on the Windows 7 driver. The Windows 8.0 driver shouldn't have such a dependency however there is an easy way to install the .Net Framework in Windows 8.1:

Its possible that doing this might help.

Theres also this driver IDT 92HD93 which might (or might not) contain the audio drivers for the N5110."

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 25th, 2014 07:00

You might try the windows catalog.  There is no such thing as windows 8.1.1

You have to enable legacy Items Like Net 2.0 to 3.5 in control panel.

If you use the Programs and Features to install it, it will use WU

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:Z:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2734782

64 BIT versions of windows REQUIRE WHQL certified drivers or they dont work.

IDT 92HD87B1 driver was released March 2012.

Version 6.10.0.6365, A03

Compatibility

Systems

• Inspiron 15R N5110

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER00347361M/3/Audio_IDT_W7_A03_Setup-8H18M_ZPE.exe

8 Posts

September 25th, 2014 10:00

Thank you for your answer. I was referring to Windows 8.1 Update 1, sorry for creating confusion. As to the solution you proposed, I've already applied it before coming to this forum. However, back to the real problem, I've successfully used the driver from the same link at least 2 times on the same Windows 8.1 Update 1. This month, I had to do a Refresh, so I did. This would mean reinstalling drivers, and desktop apps. When installing the IDT audio driver, it said that it doesn't recognize the hardware. I tried a few things to make it work, and after a few more failures, I reinstalled Windows 8.1 Update, as a clean install. this also didn't help - and I repeat - it worked perfectly fine with the same audio driver from the same link as before.

One more thing: I know it hasn't been updated since 2012, but I know for sure it mentioned compatibility with N5110 in the extraction utility window, since I used it at least a couple times on Windows 8.1 U1., not to mention the times I used it on Windows 8.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 26th, 2014 06:00

One more thing: I know it hasn't been updated since 2012....

On the driver's page it says last update 12 Dec 2013, or about 10 months ago. Even so if it were the wrong driver for a N5110 with Windows 8 then I would think there would have been a lot more complaints about it not installing.

...but I know for sure it mentioned compatibility with N5110 in the extraction utility window, since I used it at least a couple times on Windows 8.1 U1., not to mention the times I used it on Windows 8.

I don't doubt you. I reported this to the moderator of this board, Terry B but have not received a reply. Hopefully Terry has passed it up the line. You can contact any of the Dell people who post in this forum -- they all have "Dell" in their screen names. Click on the screen name to go to their profile page, then click the link to send a personal message.

There used to be a link at the bottom of each page to report problems on the page, such as incorrect links, but that seems to be gone now.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 28th, 2014 18:00

A couple questions. Do you get any audio natively in Windows 8.1 Update 1 with the Windows 8.1 inbuilt drivers?

What are you seeing in the device manager in particular any unknown (?) or exclamation (!) devices under Sound, Video and Audio Controllers? Please provide the hardware IDs:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/downloading-drivers-checking-hardware-ids-and-downloading-and-installing-dell-system-drivers-in-the-correct-order/checking-hardware-ids-in-the-device-manager/

Does an install via the device manager work or yield the same error message?

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/downloading-drivers-checking-hardware-ids-and-downloading-and-installing-dell-system-drivers-in-the-correct-order/driver-installation-via-the-device-manager/

8 Posts

September 29th, 2014 01:00

Windows 8.1 U1 built-in drivers work fine, but they're not ideal. Device Manager shows that everything's running fine. I've tried installing via Device Manger before I came to this forum. As I already mentioned in a previous post, I've exhausted the traditional fixes that would solve minor issues. This is a case of incompatible drivers published on Dell's FTP site. Anyways, thanks for taking the time to help. Dell should also hire you and jimco and fire those idling support engineers. I can understand that problems are solved with respect to priorities and volume of complaints, but this may be just another case of a big company ignoring everyone that doesn't buy the latest product to keep the money weel spinning.

1 Message

November 11th, 2014 11:00

Hi,

I have exactly same issue - the audio doesn't work after OS reinstall.

The system is Windows 8.1 update 1, 64-bit, Dell Inspiron N5110.

I already tried all available solutions (even changing the system date backwards to overcome the expired certificate issue) - but nothing helps.

The only strange thing that I discovered - is that the "non-working" audio device is detected with the following hardware ID string:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C20&SUBSYS_04B01028&REV_05

Which leads to "Intel High Definition Audio Codec" and not to IDT.

After all these experiences, I really regret that I bought this laptop. While I could live with a weak cooling system - loss of audio was the last drop (yeah, why support old devices - let's force people to buy new ones).

To anyone reading this - DO NOT BUY DELL! or you will really regret it.

8 Posts

November 11th, 2014 15:00

Hi Artiom, sorry to hear you're also experiencing this issue. Maybe try and also run as Administrator. If that doesn't work, install net framework 3.5 and the Windows 7 drivers. A more difficult but possibly more effective solution would be to go to safe mode and disble checking drivers for signature. You can find tons of tutorials on the net on how to do this. If you have trouble, you can send me messges and I'll try to get to you when I have time.

1 Message

November 17th, 2014 14:00

This one worked for me, thank you!

It's maybe worth mentioning that SRS is a little weird especially the Bass management.
For this you should set the following options on the playback device (at least for me it worked like this).

8 Posts

November 17th, 2014 14:00

I'm glad it helped you too. I don't use SRS, since it really doesn't improve sound quality on my 15 dollar in-ear headphones. That being said, if you need good postprocessing, Foobar2k has a good quality selection of filters and a truly mad EQ. I no longer use it since I no longer listen to mp3 or m4a songs. I keep backups in flac now, and they sound fine. I read and did a lot of ABX testing and there really isn't much to these bloatware utilities besides "cool" names and confirmation bias.

No Events found!