Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 17th, 2015 12:00

N5110 - Fresh HDD fails diagnostic test with status 5

The hard drive on my Inspiron N5110 had gone bad so I replaced it with a Seagate 750 GB, 7200 RPM ST9750422AS. When I tried to recover the factory image on it, I got a success message but nothing was written to the hard disk. I then changed the SATA operation mode from AHCI to ATA in BIOS settings. Trying to recover the factory image showed an error. No luck with installing Ubuntu either. Ubuntu installer complained that a file system could not be mounted. 

Running a diagnostic showed DST failed with error code 2000-0142 and status 5. Is my hard drive dead? Are there any options I could try?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1.8K Posts

October 21st, 2015 13:00

Hi,

A new hard drive failing is pretty frustrating.  You may want to check out this article on HDD error codes.  With the 0142 error code it has some troubleshooting steps you may want to try to see if you can find out what is happening with that drive.  Hopefully it's something that you can resolve and then use the drive.

Let us know what you find out and if anything specific helps.

Todd

October 21st, 2015 16:00

Thanks for the response Todd. I had already looked at the options provided on that page specific to my problem. Also, some steps in the link you provided, talk about using a different cable, which I believe applies to desktops. Anyway, I've returned the hard drive to the vendor and hopefully the replacement will work without any issues.

No Events found!