Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2013 18:00

N5110 black screen

Hello,

I am having the following problem with my 1.5 years old N5110 (with an i3 and a 525M): 

It was working great when it just shut down. Upon starting it up i do not get and visual indication from the LCD (the LCD backlight turns on but i get no dell logo, no way to enter boot menu.

I tried the following:

• Power into diagnostics (PSA, Fn+pwr) directly: works, but with no display, except for the BIST test (only hear the sounds and beeps of the checks)
  • Booting into BIST(D+pwr): works, everything is displayed well, but after it automatically restarts still no Dell logo, so no boot up.
  • Booting with no AC/battery, pushing the power button to remove residual power
I will also mention that all drivers are up to date (including BIOS) and am running windows 8.
Thanks for the help, as it is urgently needed.

2 Posts

January 2nd, 2013 19:00

Thanks for the fast answer;

The problem I am facing is a more complicated one. I cannot get to the BIOS settings or the windows boot menu.

Basically, once the computer starts the screen is blank, and remains blank (i cannot even see the dell logo). Even if i spam F8, it does not help me.

If i try to boot into Diagnostics (Fn and then Power), i again get no feedback from the screen for ~ 2 minutes the screen starts flashing colors(Same as the BIST LCD test) and series of 3 beeps are heard (repeated 3 times), but as I said the LCD is still not displaying anything so i cannot see the error code.

I have also tried connected an external monitor using the VGA connection, but it gets no signal.

3.3K Posts

January 2nd, 2013 19:00

Hi psyderman,

Let me first  appreciate the fact that you have tried the steps to resolve the issue .

Step 1: Below are the steps for last good configuration.

• Boot to the Last Known-Good Configuration
  • Power on the system.
  • Press when the message For troubleshooting and advanced startup options for Windows, press F8 appears.
  • Choose Last Known-Good Configuration.

Step 2: Safe mode:

• Restart the computer and hit F8 on Dell logo and select safe mode.Check if the computer boots into safe mode.

Step 3: Use System Restore to Revert to a Previous State.

• Restart the computer.
  • Tap during startup until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears.
  • Press until Repair Your Computer is highlighted, and then press .
  • In the System Recovery Options window, click to select your language, and then click Next.
  • From the Choose a recovery tool menu, click System Restore.
  • In the System Restore window, click Next.
  • Click the Show restore points older than 5 days checkbox for a complete listing of restore points.
  • Click to select a restore point.
  • Click Next and then click Finish.
  • Click Yes in the confirmation window.
  • Click Restart after system restore successfully completes.
  • If you encounter any error messages during the restore process, follow the on-screen instructions to correct the error.

Step 4: Run the Dell Diagnostics.

Turn off the computer and then hold down the FN key and the Power button and please check if you get any error messages.Let the diagnostics comoplete.

Awaiting your response!

No Events found!