2 Bronze

Re: N5110 keyboard - some keys NOT working

Jump to solution

visual keyboard did not work either.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I have not tried creating a new User Account.

I can not keep copy and paste these letters..this is ridiculous

as I said before..  I am not a computer wiz,  just an average user.

I can't, just close these instructions and do procedures.. I am so frustrated with this.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

i can not do this procedure. my password contains a letter that wont  work... I tried.  

0 Kudos
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

Hi Delee40,

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. If the system is under warranty please share the system's Service Tag and Owner's Name via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation), so that I can make arrangements for the repairs. If the system is out of warranty, please take assistance of a local technician in reseating the keyboard and if the issue still persist, you may consider replacing the keyboard.

You may contact Dell's Out of Warranty team at 1-800-288-4410 (applicable for US customers) if the system is out of warranty for system repairs.

If you are in a different region, go to http://dell.to/18NmI2D select the country/region from the top, scroll down and click on 'Contact Dell Sales' to get the contact information. You may purchase the part from them and install it your self or contact a local technician for assistance.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

SO, the keys have spontaneously started working again as of yesterday,

So what is the likelihood as to the problem?

New keyboard?? Or Windows???

As for the warrantee , it just expired as of April, being this close to the expiration and a problem like this I feel DELL should extend the coverage and do something for this. I have been trying to do all this tech stuff for 2 weeks (or longer now).

0 Kudos
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

In case the problem turns up again try this:
download "Rufus" and create a bootable DOS USBstick (any USBstick will do - try it right away,so you see how it works)
http://rufus.akeo.ie/
http://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/rufus_v1.3.2.exe
reboot the system and boot from it (F12 at powerup - select USB device)
At the DOS prompt try using your faulty keys.If the keys don't respond the problem is hardware related:
> try re-seating the ribbon cable that connects the keyboard to the mainboard
> replace keyboard if re-seating the cable doesn't fix the problem
> the last step would be replacing the mainboard (less likely)

=======================================
Even though your keyboard is fine right now make yourself familiar with "Rufus" - you don't need to know anything
about DOS and you don't need to be an expert just run Rufus and follow the instructions below.

Note: "Rufus" is a portable program - nothing will be installed or changed on your harddrive

Under device select your USB stick  - that's all you need to do - then click "Start"

Restart the system and boot from USB and when you see the screen below select Europe or US keyboard

at "c:\>" prompt type something

0 Kudos
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

Hi Delee40,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused. I am glad that the keys have started responding.

It appears that it was most likely to be an issue with the Windows and not hardware related. Unfortunately, extending the warranty is not an available option. Do reach out to us if you face any issue, I'll be happy to assist.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
0 Kudos
Not applicable

RE: N5110 keyboard - some keys NOT working

Jump to solution

I have a problem with a missing keyboard mine: i and k doesn't work, i have tried the method you have provided and the on-screen keys works, i have removed the keyboard and placed it back, i have even bought a new keyboard and it still has the same problem, i have updated the drivers too. It still does not work, What shall i do?