Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 11th, 2013 06:00

N5110 keyboard - some keys NOT working

I have an Inspiron N5110 laptop.

There are certain keys that have suddenly stopped working. The "T, Y, BACKSPACE  and SHIFT keys.

There have been no spills or any damage to the laptop. No changes or additions added. I have called Dell and they had me remove the battery and power cord & hold the power button for 30 seconds..... After that they worked for about an hour, but have stopped again. I did the "solution" again but it did not help this time. He mentioned something about a download?? But to be honest I couldn't understand what he said. I am not a computer wiz,  just an average user. Any help here is greatly appreciated!!
In the system info for keyboard it lists : Standard PS/2 keyboard
and I am running windows 7

1.5K Posts

May 11th, 2013 07:00

Hi Delee40,

You may perform try below mentioned steps to further isolate if the issue is software related or with hardware. Check if you face the same issue while using the onscreen keyboard. Here are the steps to access onscreen keyboard:

• Click Start→Control Panel→Ease of Access→Ease of Access Center.

• Click the Start On-Screen Keyboard button. A keyboard appears, floating in the middle of your screen.

• Test out the on-screen keyboard input in any application where you can enter text. Open Microsoft Word or a similar application and give it a go.
  • Click the Close button on the On-Screen Keyboard when you’re finished using it.

If the issue replicate with the onscreen keyboard then it is a error with any software or Windows. If not then you may try reseating the keyboard. Here is the service manual that you can refer to for installing the hardware components. Please follow the safety instructions.

If the keys are still not responding, you may consider replacing the keyboard.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

119 Posts

May 11th, 2013 07:00

Hi,

Please try what is in this link

en.community.dell.com/.../19280661.aspx

Hope helps you.

1.5K Posts

May 11th, 2013 08:00

Hi Delee40,

Please follow the instructions provided in the Service Manual that I shared with you for removing and installing the hardware component, as the link shared in another post for parts dis-assembly is for Dell Inspiron 1525 - 1526 systems. The procedure of parts dis-assembly varies from system to system.

Please reply if you have any questions.

119 Posts

May 11th, 2013 08:00

A agree with you Mr DELL-Sahars K

if the visual leyboard work fine so the issue is caused by hardware problem so please try the link that i gave to you above.

If the problem persists replace the keyboard

Hope helps you.

10 Posts

May 13th, 2013 14:00

I did this and it did NOT print the letters using the onscreen keyboard, so I assume where it says

"If the issue replicate with the onscreen keyboard then it is a error with any software or Windows"

So what does this mean for my next step?.

10 Posts

May 13th, 2013 15:00

The problem was the same with the onscreen keyboard. I am not familiar with software/hardware..  I haven't a clue as to what this all means.

1.5K Posts

May 14th, 2013 08:00

Hi Delee40,

Thank you sharing the results.

Try booting the system to Safe Mode and check keyboard functionality there. Here are the steps:

• Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F8' key to enter the 'Advanced Boot Options' menu.
  • Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking and press ENTER.
  • Try using the keyboard and check if the keys respond.

Check language settings are selected to USA English. Here are the steps:

• Click Start, type intl.cpl in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
  • On the Keyboards and Language tab, click Change keyboards.
  • Click Add. Expand the language that you want.
  • In the Options, click View Layout to compare the layout with the actual keyboard.

Try creating a new User Account and check keyboard functionality by logging in new User Account. You may refer to the link http://bit.ly/VNSBTb for steps.

Hope this helps, please reply back with the results.

10 Posts

May 15th, 2013 05:00

This did not help. The letters T, Y, and the shift & backspace did not work in safe mode.

1.5K Posts

May 15th, 2013 07:00

Hi Delee40,

Thank you for sharing the results. Also, please share if you tried creating a new User Account or not.

Try using the keyboard in System Recovery environment. Here are the steps:

• Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F8' key to enter the 'Advanced Boot Options' menu.
  • Select Repair your computer and press Enter.
  • Select your keyboard language preferences and click on Next. (See screeshot below).

• Select your user name and type in the password, and then click on OK.

• Select the system recovery option you want to do. (See screenshot below)
    • Startup Repair
    • System Restore
    • System Image Recovery
    • Windows Memory Diagnostic
    • Command Prompt

• Select the Command Prompt option, a command prompt window will now open.
  • Check keyboard keys functionality here.

If the issue still persist, we may need to reinstall the Windows. Please reply with the information.

10 Posts

May 18th, 2013 13:00

visual keyboard did not work either.

10 Posts

May 18th, 2013 13:00

I have not tried creating a new User Account.

I can not keep copy and paste these letters..this is ridiculous

as I said before..  I am not a computer wiz,  just an average user.

I can't, just close these instructions and do procedures.. I am so frustrated with this.

10 Posts

May 18th, 2013 17:00

i can not do this procedure. my password contains a letter that wont  work... I tried.  

1.5K Posts

May 21st, 2013 06:00

Hi Delee40,

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. If the system is under warranty please share the system's Service Tag and Owner's Name via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation), so that I can make arrangements for the repairs. If the system is out of warranty, please take assistance of a local technician in reseating the keyboard and if the issue still persist, you may consider replacing the keyboard.

You may contact Dell's Out of Warranty team at 1-800-288-4410 (applicable for US customers) if the system is out of warranty for system repairs.

If you are in a different region, go to http://dell.to/18NmI2D select the country/region from the top, scroll down and click on 'Contact Dell Sales' to get the contact information. You may purchase the part from them and install it your self or contact a local technician for assistance.

10 Posts

May 25th, 2013 06:00

SO, the keys have spontaneously started working again as of yesterday,

So what is the likelihood as to the problem?

New keyboard?? Or Windows???

As for the warrantee , it just expired as of April, being this close to the expiration and a problem like this I feel DELL should extend the coverage and do something for this. I have been trying to do all this tech stuff for 2 weeks (or longer now).

934 Posts

May 25th, 2013 09:00

In case the problem turns up again try this:
download "Rufus" and create a bootable DOS USBstick (any USBstick will do - try it right away,so you see how it works)
http://rufus.akeo.ie/
http://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/rufus_v1.3.2.exe
reboot the system and boot from it (F12 at powerup - select USB device)
At the DOS prompt try using your faulty keys.If the keys don't respond the problem is hardware related:
> try re-seating the ribbon cable that connects the keyboard to the mainboard
> replace keyboard if re-seating the cable doesn't fix the problem
> the last step would be replacing the mainboard (less likely)

=======================================
Even though your keyboard is fine right now make yourself familiar with "Rufus" - you don't need to know anything
about DOS and you don't need to be an expert just run Rufus and follow the instructions below.

Note: "Rufus" is a portable program - nothing will be installed or changed on your harddrive

Under device select your USB stick  - that's all you need to do - then click "Start"

Restart the system and boot from USB and when you see the screen below select Europe or US keyboard

at "c:\>" prompt type something

No Events found!