Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 23rd, 2015 10:00

N5110 no audio through HDMI

I can get video output through my HDMI port on my N5110 but not audio. A very thorough online search discovered that others have had this problem, but I saw no real solution for my situation. Some have suggested going to Hardware and Sound > Playback and selecting an entry that says Digital Audio (HDMI). That’s quite reasonable but unfortunately such an entry does not appear. I right-clicked in that tab and both “Show Disabled Devices” and “Show Disconnected Devices” are checked.

I have a Dell 15R N5110 with an Intel HD Graphics 3000 display adapter integrated in the i3-2350 CPU chip. Under “Sound, video and game controllers” it shows IDT High Definition Audio CODEC and Intel Display Audio. I updated the driver for the display adapter from the Intel website to the latest one available (Version 9.17.10.4101, 1/30/2015). I used Windows 7 to search for driver updates for the other two devices and got the message that the drivers were up to date. The problem remains.

According to the Intel site, the version of the driver for the display adapter works with Windows 8, but I assume it is backward compatible with Windows 7. Nevertheless, I went ahead and installed an older version of the driver (8.15.10.2361) from the Dell website. Intel says this version number is for Windows 7 drivers. This didn’t change anything that I already noted above.

An Intel webpage about this problem, “No Audio Through My HDMI Cable,” (www.intel.com/.../CS-030039.htm), that says it applies to “2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 3000/2000” displays a screen shot of the Playback tab of the Sound control panel that includes entries for Digital Audio (HDMI). The fact that such entries do not appear in my computer makes me wonder whether there is something unique to Dell’s N5110 (and perhaps other models) that will not permit audio through HDMI.

Before posting this, I tried an online chat with an Intel graphics rep. No luck there. He just reminded me that computer makers design their products with their own features, settings, and capabilities, and that I should contact Dell. I’m out of warranty, and it would cost me to talk with a Dell support person. I’d do it, but I’ve not had very good luck with them before, so I don’t want to waste my money.

I eagerly await any thoughts or suggestions you might have about any of this.

6 Posts

February 25th, 2015 20:00

Terry,

I want to report success due to one of your suggestions. I started by disabling the integrated speakers but didn’t turn off the PC or my device just to see what would happen. As you might expect, that wasn’t sufficient. Then for the heck of it, I unchecked the options you mentioned in the Advanced tab. Also no luck, again not surprising. Then I turned off the PC, unplugged the HDMI cable, and restarted the PC. I opened the Playback tab, plugged in the HDMI cable, and voila, there was an entry for it. Furthermore, the device attached to the cable showed up as the default device, just as you said it typically would. Resetting the options for Exclusive mode on the Advanced tab did not reintroduce any problems. Likewise, re-enabling the IDT speakers.

A couple more points I’d like to mention that you might find of some interest. I had been using a You Tube video from the Sixty Symbols website for my testing. I discovered that pulling out the HDMI cable did not result in the laptop’s speakers automatically taking over the audio. Plugging the HDMI cable back also in did not result in the external speakers picking up the audio task again. However, if I switched to another video on the site, the sound once again came through the external speakers, and the audio continued properly when I switched back to the origin video. I also tried playing some music files using Windows Media Player. In this case, pulling the HDMI cable led to the internal speakers taking over, and plugging the cable back in resulted in the external speakers coming back on without a glitch. I’m not sure why the difference in the two different cases, but I’m not going to worry about pursuing that. You sure were right when you said that “HDMI audio tends to be picky.” I’m just glad things are now working as they should, thanks to your good advice, and that I can pitch the RCA cables I’d been using to get audio. HDMI might be picky, but when it works it sure is nice.

Jim,

I want to thank you, too, for your comments. The HDMI Audio FAQ is a terrific resource to which I will refer in the future. I’m also glad you posted because it gives me the opportunity to tell you how much I enjoyed your column in the Chicago Tribune and how much I miss it. It was good to hear from you again.

To both of you, thank you so much. I want you to know that when I have a problem, I don’t immediately run to post it on a support site. I spend a lot of time online trying to find a solution myself (and usually do), but in this case I’d had no luck. I feel lucky that you came across my post and even luckier that you took the time to respond with advice that solved the problem. Again, many thanks.

Larry

(By the way, I’m not familiar with or sure about how I indicate that you answered my question. Of course I see the buttons, but can I push more than one to indicate that you’ve both been helpful or will I get bounced out after the first push?)

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

February 24th, 2015 12:00

What kind of display are you connecting the notebook to? Does the display have speakers to be able to play sound?

You mentioned IDT and Intel Display Audio showing in Sound Video and Game
controllers. IDT is the audio chip on
the system and Intel Display Audio is HDMI so that looks to be correct.

When viewing playback options (right click the speaker icon on the toolbar and choose playback) what is listed? Typically When HDMI is detected Windows will choose that as the default device. Generally Windows will not allow more than one audio device, so IDT and HDMI will not work at once; one will need to be the default. Try setting each playback device listed and see if one of them will give you sound via HDMI.

The other thing that comes to mind is to check the HDMI cable and your display and make sure that they are functional. I wouldn't want you doing a lot of work on the notebook to find out that the cable wasn't working.

Please let me know what you find out.

TB

6 Posts

February 24th, 2015 15:00

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your response.  I know that Intel Display Audio includes an HDMI capability.  I saw that when I checked the Intel website.  However, as I mentioned, the problem for me is that an HDMI option does not appear in the list of playback devices in the Playback tab.  The only two entries there are for Speakers/Headphones and Communications Headphones and both of those show the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC.  There is no other entry.  The HDMI cable works.  It works when I use it with other devices, and it also works with my laptop, that is, it passes the laptop's video output just fine.

As I mentioned in my initial post, in the Device Manager, under “Sound, video and game controllers," Intel Display Audio shows up along with IDT High Definition Audio CODEC.  However, as I said above, in the Playback tab, only the IDT shows up.  If there was an entry for Intel Display Audio, I'd click on it.  Am I right in assuming that it's absence is the source of my problem?  If so, any idea what might be causing it not to be available there for me to click?  Again, thanks for your help.

Larry

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

February 24th, 2015 16:00

You are right, if the computer detected an audio device via HDMI it should appear under playback devices and Windows will typically make it the default device.

HDMI audio tends to be picky. One thing I suggest trying is to disable the integrated speakers altogether. Right click the speaker icon in the taskbar, choose playback devices, right click on speakers / IDT and select disable. Turn off both the PC and your device. Reconnect the HDMI cable and turn on the notebook and your device. Check to see if the device is detected this time.

In the same menu choose properties. Choose the advanced tab, check the settings for Exclusive mode, uncheck both options there and see if they make a difference.

Check the settings in the program that you are using while attempting to get audio. Make sure that something in the program is not muting or causing problems with HDMI audio.

If you continue to have problems what type of device are you connecting the notebook to via the HDMI cable, I am assuming that it is a TV? Have you been able to get audio with the device before with HDMI? Have you tried other HDMI devices with the PC and did you have any luck with them?

TB

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 25th, 2015 05:00

Hello guys. Just a reminder that we have an HDMI Audio FAQ. Besides connection instructions the faq contains many tips such as checking the tv settings to make sure  that HTML audio is enabled, that the port is selected, etc. (If the device is not a tv but is a receiver or something, then it is even more of a crapshoot because HTML audio will not appear in the Playback devices if a compatible device is not detected.)

HDMI audio tends to be picky.

Sometimes it seems like like one has to stumble on some magic combination to get it to work. A recent poster with a Latitude E6520 tried updating his IDT Windows native audio driver, which of course had no effect. Eventually he updated the graphics driver but still no luck. Then he updated the IDT native audio driver again and now he has HDMI audio. Why did that combination work....who knows? HDMI audio can make you crazy.

As far as drivers, the one to concentrate on is the Intel HD 3000 driver, which in my Latitude's Device Manager is in the Display Adapters category. That is the one to try different things with, uninstall it, update it, try an older version, try one from Dell, one from Intel etc.

[post edited by jimco]

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

February 25th, 2015 08:00

Jimco,

Thanks as always for the help.

TB

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 26th, 2015 06:00

Hi Larry. I am glad you got it working and I have added your solution to the faq, but I need clarification of one point.

I unchecked the options you mentioned in the Advanced tab.

It was the IDT speakers whose Exclusive Modes you unchecked? I have an instruction about Exclusive Mode in the faq but I think I made an error and need to correct it.

your column in the Chicago Tribune

Sorry but it was not I.

an I push more than one to indicate that you’ve both been helpful

Please select the one of Terry's that was most helpful, or even your last one. Personally I don't like that option in the forum because it makes a copy of the selected post and moves the copy out of chronological order, which can make some threads really confusing to sort out.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

February 26th, 2015 11:00

I am curious about Jimco's question as well regarding Exclusive mode.  I am assuming that since you couldn't see the HDMI connection it you only made the change with IDT, is this correct or did you reconfigure the HDMI connection once the system detected it?

The good news is that you where able to get HDMI audio functional.  If you wish to post a verified answer choose your last post. If you get a chance though hop on Jimco's Audio FAQ and give it a like. It is a great resource and has been very helpful.

TB

6 Posts

February 27th, 2015 09:00

Hi Guys,

Yes, it was the two options under the Exclusive mode for the internal laptop IDT speakers that I unchecked. Regarding “Jim Coates,” I checked to be sure that I was remembering the right name when I made the remark about how much I missed Jim’s long-running computer column in the Chicago Tribune. Yes, it was Jim Coates, although I now know not the Jim Coates with whom I’m corresponding here. Here’s a link to his last column: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2007-06-12/features/0706080651_1_column-readers-answering. A heck of a coincidence!

Now I’m going to take your advice once more. I’ll post a verified answer by choosing my “last” (i.e., previous) post and then will give a like to Jimco’s Audio FAQ. It’s indeed a great resource.

I’m running off to the airport to escape the Chicago winter for warmer climes (at least for a week), but first I wanted to once again thank you for your help and tell you what a pleasure it’s been having this conversation with the two of you.

Best regards,

Larry

No Events found!