Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 20th, 2011 01:00

N7010 -- Updating Graphics Drivers?

Hi there.

I recently recieved a new Dell laptop (an N7010) for the holidays and I had a minor question that has confounded me.

A friend was offering to show me a game he had recieved for the holidays, but before installing he informed me I would likely need to update my graphics drivers to the newest available versions for the game to run properly. I believe I've done this in the past on my old desktop, but I cant seem to figure out how I would go about it on this machine.

I tried the Intel site, but it said it was unable to analyze properly for some reason and couldnt even tell me what graphics card this machine uses (I'm thinking its some sort of integrated deal, as I cant find mention of any other cards). 

We decided not to bother installing the game, as we couldnt figure out how to update the drivers and a Dell support agent (via the chat interface on this site) informed me that it was a 3rd party game that violated the warranty; but it still bothers me that I couldnt figure out how to update the forementioned graphics drivers (though frankly, being not particularly tech savy, I'm not 100% sure how to go about updating said drivers in the first place).

The Dell agent I talked to via the chat suggested I check here, so I'm making a post in hopes someone here with abit more knowledge can offer some insight.

Many thanks.

2 Posts

November 8th, 2014 10:00

Resolved my issue by downloading the zip file from Intel for 8.15.10.2993 here:

downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx;lang=eng&ProdId=3231

Then I manually installed the driver and then downloaded the Win 7 SP1 install file instead of going through Windows Update.  Win7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 installed and Graphics working great. 

3.6K Posts

January 20th, 2011 08:00

Go to dell's driver and download page>select your OS on the drop down box next to your system>clcik the video tab (this is the graphic driver ) to install>click to download the driver(save it to your desktop)>when it saves to desktop double click on the shortcut to let it run the install proccess.

Do not expect to get an updated driver from dell over night,or anytime soon.This has been an ongoing question for as long as i can remember,"when will dell get an updated driver".You can also go to the manu. site (nVidia,or ATI,Intel) depending on your chip,and install there driver.They are usually a little more up to date than dell drivers.

4 Posts

January 20th, 2011 22:00

Thank you for the response!

I went to the Dell driver/download page, and did a search ( http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=INSPIRON_N7010&os=W764&osl=EN ) recovering 5 results in the video section for this machine.

As you can see in my response on this thread's twin (here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/p/19362467/19812897.aspx#19812897 ), I have determined that my graphics card is an Intel(R) HD Graphics integrated card.

That said, from the 5 results in the linked-search above, which of the drivers would I want to be using for updating?

I am assuming it would be the Intel - Driver from 5/28/2010 (v 8.15.10.2104,A06), however when checking out my graphics card (via Control Panel), I can see that the current driver is v 8.15.10.2104, dated 3/31/2010.

Are these the same? In the same location, I found an option to check for updates for the graphics card driver and was informed that the 'driver software for the device is up to date'; so I am guessing they may well be. As mentioned in OP, I tried going to the Intel site and using their updater to search for my machine; the result being the driver-update utility detecting my graphics card and the currently installed driver (v 8.15.10.2104), but being unable to provide information on any updates:

Product Detected Intel® HD Graphics
Current Driver Installed 8.15.10.2104
A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.

So, what exactly is going on here? Do I have the most recent driver and it just isnt good enough to run these games, or is there something else that might be to blame, or is this vA06 something that might fix my issues?

And what is the Intel site referring to?

And what do you mean when we shouldnt expect an updated driver? I've heard alot of negativity in the past about Dell computers in relation to gaming, so I've kind of prepared myself for some failings along the way here; but I'm hoping its not just a matter of "Oh, hey, this is Dell.... Yeeeaaahhhh, we didnt get around to making that updated software to let you play current games... You mind waiting a few months?... Or years...?".

Thank you again for your responses, and any further information is greatly appreciated.

3.6K Posts

January 21st, 2011 12:00

The comment about expecting any updated drivers from dell,was only posted because most people ask "when will,or are they,going to post an updated driver" thats all.Nothing meant there other than that.Now to your previous question about do you have the updated driver that is listed on the site,yes you do.

Installing the generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manu. driver may cause technical issues.Yes it can stop or interfere with some of the features installed by dell,but.,i have rarely seen or heard of any real technical problems arrising from installing the manu. driver.If you did have problems from the manu. driver you simply uninstall it and reinstall the dell driver.

Drivers are packaged from the manu. with the dell systems,Dell does not supply the driver,they simply customize it to run with the certain features a system might have media buttons etc...This is why i said do not expect any updated drivers from Dell any time soon,or if any.I have never seen dell update drivers for the GPU (graphic card) and you can find many posts here on the forum about people expecting an updated video driver.

As far as getting an updated driver to play games,the intel graphics chips are not meant for average game play,you need a discrete graphics chip for game play.But you DO have the most up to date Intel driver though.

5 Posts

May 4th, 2011 22:00

I am having this very same issue and need Dell to update this graphics driver (version 8.15.10.2104) that is on my new Dell N7010 laptop.  However, I need this in order to download and install SP 1 for Windows 7, 64-bit.  Microsoft states this graphics driver is not compatible and I should contact my OEM (Dell).  Intel also states this is a driver that Dell customized and I need to contact them.  However, Dell has no update for their customized 8.15.10.2104 and, therefore, I'm unable to install SP 1.  Does this mean I'll never be able to install SP1?  This is a brand new comuter!

5 Posts

May 4th, 2011 22:00

I am having this very same issue and need Dell to update this graphics driver (version 8.15.10.2104) that is on my new Dell N7010 laptop.  However, I need this in order to download and install SP 1 for Windows 7, 64-bit.  Microsoft states this graphics driver is not compatible and I should contact my OEM (Dell).  Intel also states this is a driver that Dell customized and I need to contact them.  However, Dell has no update for their customized 8.15.10.2104 and, therefore, I'm unable to install SP 1.  Does this mean I'll never be able to install SP1?  This is a brand new comuter!

3 Posts

September 6th, 2014 16:00

Was this problem ever solved? I have the same exact problem as described above.  I tried installing SP 1 when it came out 3 years ago, couldn't get it to work.  No big deal.  Now I want to install the latest version of Explorer, but can't without SP1 installed.  I did the research and came to find that I have the IntelHDGraphics driver.  I tried to update it through the Intel site, and I get the message that hey this is a custom install (Dell) and see the Dell support page.  I go to the dell support page and find that the only thing under video as far as a driver is ATI Radeon.  Nothing IntelHDGraphics.  I didn't think it was correct so called Tech support.  The tech support said install it.  So I did.  I get errors at the end and no ATI Catalyst Control. Say what?

2 Posts

November 8th, 2014 07:00

REALLY FRUSTRATED WITH DELL ON THIS!!!

I can't update to SP1 because Dell has not updated their driver.  Many other laptop manufacturers have resolved the 8.15.10.2104.  One of the many reasons I want to update to SP1 is so that I can install the disk cleanup for Windows Update and free up some harddrive space.  The laptop works great otherwise, but I can't update to the latest service pack because Dell has not updated their Intel video driver in over 2 years?  When I bought my laptop SP1 was just announced and the final release of Windows 7 SP1 was made available in Feb 2011.

As a long time Dell customer, I'm feeling really neglected on this one.

Inspiron 1764 (Early 2010)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz
Intel(R) HD Graphics
R271008.exe (Rel. 18Jun10, Last Updated 07Jul12)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD, Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD, HD Graphics, v.8.15.10.2104, A07

1 Message

September 30th, 2017 16:00

the dell support site show ati drivers for the video card . this is why I spent over an hour before I found out that this model has intel  hd graphics card. the n7010 does not have ati video card. I downloaded from the link above and worked great. wish dell would hire competent web developers.

No Events found!