Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2011 11:00

N7010 Wifi problem

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron N7010 and am pretty pleased with it for the most part. The wifi adapter appears to be the only thing giving me trouble. The adapter is an Intel WiFi Link 1000 BGN and it will drop internet connection after a few hours of use (watching Hulu, YouTube, etc). Once it drops the connection, it can't seem to reconnect to my network until I reboot the machine. Additionally, the speed of this adapter jumps randomly, ranging from 12mbps to 216mbps when I am in a room that's roughly 25-30 feet away from my router. Other N capable PCs in my house do not have this problem. I have tried tweaking several different settings as suggested on Intel's website but to no avail. Has anyone else experienced this problem or found a solution to it? Thanks in advance.

October 10th, 2012 13:00

I have the same adapter in my XPS L702X laptop.  I know its been almost a year since your post, and I am not providing a solution.  I am here to explain I have a similar problem so that others looking for problems/solutions with this adapter will know what others are experiencing.  In my case, the adapter will drop its connection to the WiFi access point every few minutes when streaming content, like Netflix, Hulu, and the like.  Whenever the data transfer is large and sustained, the connection drops.  In fact, it is almost as if the WiFi access point (I have a wireless router) is affected by the problem since I have seen it also drop other devices connected.  And this is not just on my router, but also on others I have tried.  I suspect there is a problem with the network adapter in that when it gets overloaded it sends corrupt data in its communication with the WiFi access point that on some WiFi devices, like my router, it causes the router to have to reset itself.  I am connecting with 802.11g and using the Intel PROSet software manage my WiFi, not Windows (but I have tried both).  I have other devices on my 802.11g network, and none of them have this problem.  My adapter driver is the latest.  So, I have ruled out the WiFi access point since other devices can stream large sustained content from the same sources and since other WiFi routers also behave hte same with this laptop.  It must be the laptop.  The laptop's LAN adapter is fine, and anytime we need to stream something sustained (more than a minute or two), we'll disable the WiFi adapter and use a hard wired connection.  I have not seen anyone else with this problem report it in the forums (that I have found), so I am going to assume I have a defective adapter card.  I'll be calling Dell support.

No Events found!