Highlighted
tomheafey
1 Copper

N7010 crashes after 8gb RAM Upgrade

Jump to solution

I have an Inspiron N7010 laptop( about 3 years old) that came with 4gb RAM. I want to upgrade to 8gb. I have tried 3 different  brands of memory

including Dell memory. I have run extensive memory tests( the Dell memory does not fail ). I have the exact memory part number that Dell support

has given me. In ALL cases, after installing the 8gb RAM, the laptop boot and then at some point will simply shutdown ( just like you powered down ). 

The system info from the control panel shows that all 8gb is recognized.

I have looked for and installed all the bios, chip set, and cpu upgrades from dell.

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening ?

0 Kudos
23 Replies

Re: N7010 crashes after 8gb RAM Upgrade

Jump to solution

Hi tomheafey,

The Inspiron N7010 system supports dual-channel DDR3 SDRAM with memory speed of 1333 MHz. Please make sure the memory is compatible with computer. Another step,  you may try is to reseat the memory module of your computer; swap and try one module at a time in each slot. See if it works. If the memory modules are seated properly, swapped and checked, and do work with another computer; it means it is an issue with the memory slot (motherboard). 

You may also check and let me know if you are facing system overheating issues. 

Please reply for further clarifications. 

Thanks and regards,
DELL-Chinmay S
#IWork4Dell 
To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go here

0 Kudos
tomheafey
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Working with a great vendor ( 1 Arch Computer ), I replaced the 1333 MHz memory with 1066 MHz memory. My system now is working great with the 8gb upgrade. I had read somewhere that early versions of I5 CPU's won't work with the higher speed memory. Why couldn't Dell tell me this ??????

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi tomheafey, 

I understand your concern. 

In newer processors, memory controller is located on the processor; therefore, the RAM speed is limited to what the memory controller has been designed to support.  If using 1600 MHz it might be expected to see the processor downgrading the speed to what it supports: 1066/1333 MHz. Similar is in this case as well. Your system does support 1333Mhz memory so any memory with FSB of 1333MHz and lower (1066 MHz) would work with the machine. 

Please reply in case you have any further questions. 

Thanks and regards,
DELL-Chinmay S
#IWork4Dell 
To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go here

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi tomheafey, 

I understand your concern. 

In newer processors, memory controller is located on the processor; therefore, the RAM speed is limited to what the memory controller has been designed to support.  If using 1600 MHz it might be expected to see the processor downgrading the speed to what it supports: 1066/1333 MHz. Similar is in this case as well. Your system does support 1333Mhz memory so any memory with FSB of 1333MHz and lower (1066 MHz) would work with the machine. 

Please reply in case you have any further questions. 

Thanks and regards,
DELL-Chinmay S
#IWork4Dell 

0 Kudos
tomheafey
1 Copper

Jump to solution

No, my system DOES NOT support 1333 MHz memory. I tried 2 sets of Cosair memory and 1 set of Dell memory( the exact part number supplied to me by Dell ). None of those 3 sets of 1333 MHz memory worked. My system simply powered off ( hard crash ) with each set. The 1066 MHz works without fail.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi tomheafey, 

Appreciate your efforts in resolving this issue.  Thank you for sharing the knowledge.

My apologies for the miss; should have picked it up in the first place. 

I did some more research and found that your computer is shipped with Intel HM57 Chipset. It supports memory with FSB of 800 Mhz and 1066 Mhz. For detailed information, you may check the image below:

Do reply in case you have any further questions. 

Thanks and regards,
DELL-Chinmay S
#IWork4Dell 

0 Kudos
kuhlium
1 Nickel

RE: N7010 crashes after 8gb RAM Upgrade

Jump to solution

I'm having the exact same issue as noted above, only several years later.  I also have a Dell Inspiron N7010, and am trying to upgrade memory with a 4 GB Dell memory board that they recommended: SNPNWMX1C/4G with a front side bus speed of 1600 MHz.   Making the upgrade crashes the computer, in spite of upgrading bios to the latest version.  Bios does indeed recognize new memory.

Recommendation of procuring memory boards from 1 Arch Computer no longer viable.  Could no longer find them on the web.   Tried archmemory.com, but they are recommending 1033 MHz boards.  Would welcome recommendation on specific, compatible memory boards with 1066 MHz FSB.

http://www.archmemory.com/

Thanks to DELL-Chinmay S for this thread.

0 Kudos
kuhlium
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Can you ID the 1066 MHz memory that worked?  Having the exact same issue almost three years later.  Could not find 1 Arch Computer and archmemory.com (closest thing to the name you suggested) is recommending 1333 MHz memory that you've said didn't work for you.

Three years later and Dell is still recommending the wrong memory for the Dell Inspiron N7010.  They stuck me with a 4 GB 1600 MHz board they assured me was compatible!  Their SNPNWMX1C/4G is NOT compatible with the Inspiron N7010!  It causes the computer to fail on boot, even though the BIOS recognizes it, just as you found.

0 Kudos
anthony180
1 Copper

Jump to solution

did you ever find out what to use......i am trying to figure out which one to use as i have read many different things and i do not want to have to buy and return over and over.  mine says 1333 to use but again not sure in which to try first.....do you have an i3 processor or an i5. anyway hope to hear from you or someone that knows soon 

thank you 

0 Kudos