Highlighted
crazysam
1 Copper

NO ACCESS TO BIOS INSPIRON N5010 A15 UPDATE??

I upgraded my BIOS to A15 as recommended by Dell. I found out that it has password protected setup but I don't remember having set a password. When does it ask for that? Was it before flashing? Or, did the BIOS come prelocked.

I need to access my BIOS but I cannot flash it coz it won't permit flashing to "older BIOS" nor to the "same BIOS" and there is no newer.

Did I forget my password or did Dell <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU>? Is there anything I can do? Is there something like a master password or something? Can Dell send me a password?

I have an express code and service tag but I bought it off local market and only thing to prove the machine is mine that i have is a bill of purchase. And, I am already out of warranty!! 

What can be done? Any suggestions/help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jonny.butler66
1 Nickel

RE: NO ACCESS TO BIOS INSPIRON N5010 A15 UPDATE??

Good luck buddy. This happened to me also. Dell wants you to pay a ransom to unlock the BIOS on your computer.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi crazysam,

Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately Dell does not provide free support for systems out of warranty.  You are welcome to contact the Out of Warranty Department to purchase additional tech support for your computer.  If you did not purchase directly from Dell, you would need to register the computer into your name.  Please fill out the Transfer of Ownership form.  You may have to provide a copy of your bill of purchase.

Dell can not send out bios passwords, but our tech support department will be happy to assist you once you have the system registered in your name.  There is a fee for this service.

If you need any further assistance, please contact me privately.

Regards,
Robert

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good luck buddy. This happened to me also. Dell wants you to pay a ransom to unlock the BIOS on your computer.

Hi jonny.butler66,

Thanks for posting.  Yes, Dell does charge a fee to unlock the bios on computers.  It's considered a software issue. 

If you need additional assistance, please contact me privately.  Thanks.

Regards,
Robert

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message

0 Kudos
jonny.butler66
1 Nickel

Why should I pay Dell a fee to provide me a password to unlock my BIOS when the reason there is a password in BIOS is because I upgraded to the latest "recommended" version of BIOS on the Dell support website.

This is robbery Robert and you know it. The Dell BIOS update is where the password was set. I am not the only Dell user that has had this problem. Search the other posts on this forum. 

Dell can consider this a software issue all they want, but in the end, Dell is the reason for this issue. Dell pushes recommended software( to be more accurate I guess I should say firmware) to Dell users and includes a password which locks the user out of his BIOS after the upgrade. Then Dell demands payment to get the password.

How is this different from the online hackers who create viruses or malware which causes you to not be able to utilize your laptop until you pay the bad guys a ransom.

Robert if I knew how to contact you offline, I probably would have done that, but I don't know your email. Also, I think this issue belongs online for everyone to see because Dell is ripping people off via this practice.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Johnnie.butler66,

To contact me privately, please click my name in blue, then on the next page, click "send private message".  Thanks.

Regards,
Robert

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos