Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2017 11:00

NO BOOTABLE DEVICE FOUND

I have bought this device a few months ago and already have submitted once to the dell for some hard drive issues. Now again a new problem is showing: No bootable devices found (in Dell Supportassist).

I can not run installed windows and not even find any drive to reinstall new copy of windows. Can I get rid of this problem? its very annoying to submit my laptop again to company cause it requires much time to get back again. Here is some specification:

Product Name: Inspiron 3558

System BIOS: A12

Service Tag: 6VNH0C2

ePSA: Build 4302.10 UEFI ROM

Please give me a solution soon.

Thank you.

-----Fozle Rabby

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 6th, 2017 18:00

If you sent the system, do you know if they replaced the drive or just reinstalled.

You could try using the F12 key during boot to see if you can get a Boot Device menu and see if the drive or a Windows Boot Manager is available.

If support assistant says it cannot find a drive, they will probably be able to send you a replacement drive, if you think you can replace it.

Beyond that, you could try booting to the Install Media or a Recovery Drive to use the Command Prompt and Diskpart to check for the drive.

The bootable Live version of Ubuntu might also be a good check for the drive.  But it sounds like you may need more service..

March 6th, 2017 21:00

If I can access the bios menu, is that meant my hard drive okay?

When to install new operating system on my device it just cant find any active partition actually. I can not find any option to do different.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 7th, 2017 08:00

The Boot Device menu comes from the Bios.  If the Bios can see the drive it should offer it as a boot device and with a UEFI system, it should have a Windows Boot Manager option.  Do you see that?

March 8th, 2017 08:00

Can you please tell me the steps? I cant find any windows boot manager option. I can go through the bios settings and also can see the 1 TB of my hard drive installed and when I diagnose it returns no problem. Then why cant I set a new windows up here? why no hard drive is shown usable?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 8th, 2017 10:00

If it isn't showing a Windows Boot Manager then try booting to the drive itself.

If the system was installed as UEFI, it won't boot that way and a recovery operation would seem to be required.  For that you may need to have a failed boot three times for Win 10 to start a recovery or you will need boot media consisting of a Recovery Drive or the Win 10 install media...

If you have the external media, boot to that, go into the Troubleshooting section and Advanced so you see Start Up repair/

If you are using the Install media you will need to go to the second window and select "Repair my computer" on the lower left of that window.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 8th, 2017 11:00

You could run Diagnostic tool to check the Hard Drive on the system;

1. Power off system.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F12 key continuously. In boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click it. After quick tests, click Hard drive, and then Thorough Test Mode. Report back any error code.

March 15th, 2017 01:00

Thank you very much sir. I can run my laptop fine now. Problem was, secure boot became turn on. By turning it off, it can boot normally.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 12th, 2017 09:00

:emotion-2:

Glad to know the system is fix now. Thanks for the update and sharing the solution for others to see.

No Events found!