Zize
1 Copper

RE: NO BRIGHTNESS CONTROL

Jump to solution

I installed the windows 8.1 drivers, too. After the next Windows update, the new drivers were back and brightness controll didn't work any more. But if you go to device manager, "graphics" (i don't know the exact english term), you find your graphic boards. Right click, "update driver", "search on computer", "choose from a list". There you will find the new driver and the old Windows 8.1 driver. Doubleclick the old driver and done. 

At my XPS14 everything works fine, even updates do not change anything. Brightness controll(with the old intel driver) and games (with the old nvida driver) work fine. One little problem still exists: the driver crashes when display turns off and on. But that's no big deal.

To the Dell support: I really hope you deliver the necessary windows 10 drivers for xps devices. I think this is mandatory to keep customers. XPSs are expensive Laptops and if the new Windows does not work any more, i surely won't by expensive Laptops any more. 

PS: My old Stduio15 laptop works perfectly fine with the drivers provided by Windows. So why the trouble with XPS?!

0 Kudos
Yukon Brat
1 Copper

Jump to solution

1. Go to DISPLAY SETTINGS (right click on the desktop)

2. Switch off 'adjust screen brightness automatically'

ab58jiw
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the same problem on Dell 7548 after upgrade at Windows 10 and upgrade latest driver. Key F11 & F12 brightness control is dead!

About your suggest, I do not have this option (switch) in windows 10.

Dell INSPIRON 7548 - HDD 1TB, 16 GB RAM, 4K Display

0 Kudos
krabago
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Just chiming in to help boost the importance of this topic. I too am having this exact problem with my XPS 15 (L521X, Mid 2012) that also uses the Intel HD 4000 even after this laptop was recently confirmed by Dell as being upgradeable to Windows 10. Only the older Windows 8.1 driver allows the brightness control to work.

0 Kudos
chall3ng3r
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am facing the same issue with exact same model, XPS L421X, with Intel HD 4000 and Nvidia 630M.

The brightness control works with older Win8.1 drivers, but they crash on resume from sleep/hibernate, and afterwards, all videos showed are messy until I restart.

Using driver from Windows Update works but brightness control doesn't work. I just found that there are new drivers for my laptop, installed as recommended above in this thread (delete checkbox on uninstall).

Did restart, then installed new drivers, they also don't fix the brightness control. This is real issue and it needs a fix ASAP.

Also, these drivers are older what we have on Windows Update, so Dell please make them to latest version as well.

// chall3ng3r //

Tags (3)
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

It's not going to happen asap, or at all. This has been an issue for 2 years, and they have done nothing. Dell's viewpoint is that you should buy a new laptop.

0 Kudos
ZMass
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This is my first Dell.  Figured it was a high end laptop and would come with better support.  

Dell reports this laptop is Windows 10 ready.  And it is, if you don't mind BSOD crashes and no brightness control due to faulty display drivers.  Fortunately windows 10 is not a requirement for me.  I'll go back to 8.1, which *** but at least this laptop works with it.  Definitely think twice before buying a Dell again however.

0 Kudos
dekromm
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Ravi,

I'm afaraid the method you proposed doesn't work for me either.
Can you tell us if there's any chance for us owners of this laptop to have a new driver released in which the video driver will work fine, with the brightness control too, please?
Thank you in advance

Guido

0 Kudos
JohnRoss2113
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Intel HD Graphics 4000 and Windows 10 & Windows 8.1   ( Brightness fix with latest driver)

Brightness Fix with Driver Date 8/17/2015 )

Brightness problem Solved

Intel HD Graphics 4000 with NVIDIA® GeForce® GT650M graphics.

Install:

Intel HD Graphics 4000 Driver,     Driver Date: 8/17/2015

Driver Version: 10.18.10.4276

Make sure you backup your registry first before proceeding!!!!

open regedit  in  Run Command

Registry has wrong value:

Currently reads as :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000] "FeatureTestControl"=

"Edit DWORD 32 bit"=       f000

Registry with New Value:

You needed to change the value in registry to:  (   f008   )

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000] "FeatureTestControl"=

"Edit DWORD 32 bit"=        f008

Then Restart Computer

Brightness Fixed with Latest driver.

Let me know if this was helpful to you

jrreyn02@outlook.com

Highlighted
JohnRoss2113
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Intel HD Graphics 4000 and Windows 10 & Windows 8.1   ( Brightness fix with latest driver)

Brightness Fix with Driver Date 8/17/2015 )

Brightness problem Solved

Intel HD Graphics 4000 with NVIDIA® GeForce® GT650M graphics.

Install:

Intel HD Graphics 4000 Driver,     Driver Date: 8/17/2015

Driver Version: 10.18.10.4276

Make sure you backup your registry first before proceeding!!!!

open regedit  in  Run Command

Registry has wrong value:

Currently reads as :

"Edit DWORD 32 bit"=       f000

Registry with New Value:

You needed to change the value in registry to:  (   f008   )

"Edit DWORD 32 bit"=        f008

Then Restart Computer

Brightness Fixed with Latest driver.

Let me know if this was helpful to you