gossamer88
1 Copper

Re: NVidia GPU bug with Dell XPS M1210

Bought mine in March 2007. Extended 3 year coverage now over and the overheating fried my motherboard as well. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
vin_chan
1 Nickel

Hello,

This is my first post in this community. I used M1210 which was purchased in other country which was given to me by one of relative. According to the record it was purchased on 2006, yet I started using it on 2008.

The laptop current problem is intermittent blank screen during POST. And sometimes some graphical distortion. On final week of December it shows a blue screen error. I've done some research and found out that it seems the graphic card is problematic. To make things worse the warranty just expired on 21 October 2009 and the laptop just got it mainboard replaced on 12 February 2009 due wifi switch & media button problem.

After reading the article about GPU bug, I tried to check using the method described on http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_DBECF64CFEDA449398CB9E859D4944A5&isLegacy=true and got 2 blinking LEDs.

I just called Dell technical support here explaining problem on my laptop. Unfortunately they keep refusing to take a look due warranty already expired and keep telling me to send it to distributor. The customer service who answered my call tried to dodge in several ways even when I asked nicely to talk with the supervisor. She finally put me on with a supervisor from other section (that what she claims yet before that she claims none supervisor was in since it's still holiday) To make ti worse they said if the problem is on GPU side which need to replace the mainboard I will be charged of for the replacement parts. I tried to explain about the article and they keep dodging the topic, yet when I reconfirm about the portable POST diagnostic result they admit that GPU have problem. But still they just keep telling me to extend warranty and even told me to send the laptop back to the place it was bought. Also got an argument with supervisor regarding the heating problem where he mention about changing the cooling part of the GPU, which I believe will void any warranty (the laptop is still on warranty till October 2009 😞 ) In short they just keep me running in circle , the supervisor only talks about company procedures and more procedures plus regulations.

I understand that Dell provide warranty extension for the system due GPU problem but the extension was calculated on the day the system was bought. Alas this board was installed for replacement of previous board. It is very painful to have this kind of experience where your system got replaced with one that cause problem after the warranty ends.

In addition I tried to turn the system on again to back up some files, now there's new problem showing up telling me the plugged in power adaptor was not Dell original and the system will be slowed and battery will not charge. I've tried to plug out the adaptor to test, and reconnect the adaptor. Alas system report that battery is not charging.

Before changing the board I hardly got any problem, yes this replacement board seems giving more more problems; not to mention the dodgy tech support who just repeating "extend the warranty"

I would really appreciate any help or input from any Dell representatives who read this, as I'm really doubtful to extend my warranty due such treatment and such problematic hardware I got now.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
vin_chan
1 Nickel

I've been reading thru the articles regarding the NVIDIA Settlement on Lionel blog ( http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/Direct2Dell/b/direct2dell/archive/2010/09/30/nvidia-gpu-update-nvidia-class-action-lawsuit-and-limited-warranty-enhancement.aspx ) and found some interesting part : The maximum combined period for the initial warranty and the limited-warranty enhancement is 60 months. Systems purchased with 60-month warranties will not be extended. Customers whose warranties have expired will be eligible for this limited warranty enhancement from the date the initial warranty expired."

According from that part, the maximum extended warranty is 60 months. Yet why did the customer service just put keep steering me around and around about expired warranty and extend warranty even though I have explained about the problem? emoticon.Sad.title

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

"Systems purchased with 60-month warranties will not be extended."

That refers to people who BOUGHT a warranty extension to total 60 months. It sounds like your warranty was not that long.

You have two things working against you... The age of the machine (over 4 years old) and the settlement. Your best bet is to file a claim in the settlement once the claim forms are available. You may get something out of it - better than nothing.

I would not recommend putting more money into the machine due to its age and the problematic GPU.....

Community Member Since 2003

0 Kudos
vin_chan
1 Nickel

Thank you for clearing that up. As for the age of machine, the tag is 2006 but the board is early 2009. It's very surprising to have problem carnival with board only nearing 2 years, while all precautions are taken i.e putting the laptop on cooler pad all the times etc. etc. As for claim for settlement, after such reply in dodgy style where they sounded like have no idea of the bug (or may be don't want to know emoticon.Confused.title ) I'm tired with horrid stuff from any of staff down here.

As for your advise:

"I would not recommend putting more money into the machine due to its age and the problematic GPU"

Yes I've thought it over, i can get new system or pay for the extended warranty which was blurped over and over by the supervisor and customer service; and i would rather get other brand who threat user in good and helping manner either the system still got warranty or not. GOOD BYEE, DELL. Thank you for the good reliable system you made on the early days.

0 Kudos
TonyyMD
1 Nickel

RE: NVidia GPU bug with Dell XPS M1210

I wrote you few years ago in regards to the " NVidia GPU bug with Dell XPS M1210" and there was a recall by Dell then to get Laptop fixed. Unfortunately, I didn't have access to my office in Cairo, Egypt then because the Spring/Winter, nightmare or what ever you call it, revolution! I finally got to go to my office in Cairo to close entire company and got the chance to bring DEFECTIVE Dell XPS M1210 with me and I ask your help in getting this thing fixed. I need to receive a return Label, work order and box to mail back to you. Laptop was and still defective with problem Dell is aware off and never used more than few hours. I need to get this issues resolved ASAP. Please, e-mail me with requested information. Regards, Antoune See earlier corresponds: Oct 27, 2010 This is not a "warranty" issue!   Dell Services To Me Oct 28, 2010 Service Request: Depot Service Dispatch Dear Antoune Youssef, Your request for repair service has been processed. Please do not respond to this email. Current Status •A service order has been created for return-to-depot repair service and an order for an an empty box to be shipped to you for sending your notebook to the depot has been placed. •Timeline: If you scheduled your return-to-depot service before 5 p.m. local time , then you will receive your empty box within 1 business day. If you scheduled your return-to-depot service after 5pm then you will receive the box within 2 business days. •Please review your service call information below and keep this email to reference your information. If you need to make any changes to the service order/dispatch contact information, please visit our Support Center or Click here to Chat with a live support representative. What's Next? •We will send you an email once your empty box has shipped. To Me Oct 28, 2010 Dear Antoune, Thank you for your reply. Since the last technician is currently not available, I am replying to your e-mail to ensure quick resolution for your Dell system. Antoune, in order to perform the necessary repairs to your system; we have made arrangements to have your system returned to the repair depot for service. You will be receiving an empty box within 1 day which will be delivered for shipping the system to Dell Depot; System will be shipped to depot within 3-5 days. Depot will take 1-2 business days for repairing the system and 2 days for shipping the system back to you. Estimated return time after shipping the system to depot 10-13 Calendar Days. I would suggest you not to include any peripherals that you have added after receiving system from Dell like Express card, memory upgrade etc. But please send the Optical drive, hard drive, and Battery and AC adapter along with the system. Please make sure that you send the following Hardware Components along with this system, while sending the system to Repair Depot: • Optical drive • Battery • AC Adapter • Memory • Hard Drive Also ensure that you do not send any Non-Dell Hardware along with the system to Repair Depot. Also put a slip in the packing box indicating that you are sending the Hard Drive, AC Adapter, Battery, Memory along with the system and it should be safely returned along with the system after repair. Once the system is ready to be sent to depot after packing, you should contact FEDEX at 1-800-463-3339 during their normal business hours Monday through Friday, between 7:00 A.M. and 7:00 P.M., Central Standard Time, to arrange pickup of the system at your convenience. NOTE: Make sure that you note down the Airway Bill number form the box and keep it safely and handy with you as it will be the only Tracking number available to locate the system, once it is shipped from your place to Repair Depot. 1. Is the computer working perfectly, otherwise? Yes. RED below from Dell web site: 2008—Mike Bukowski, a Technical Analyst from our Dell Customer Advocate team recently published a post that discusses other potential causes of vertical lines on notebook displays. Earlier this year, members of our Customer Advocate team posted a message that still resides front and center on a site called dellverticalline.com. That note says we were aware of some user complaints about certain notebook displays. Since then, the Customer Advocate team has coordinated with other Dell groups to help figure out what was happening with some 17" notebook displays. Here's what they found: on some 17” LCD displays shipped with Dell Inspiron 9200, 9300 and Dell XPS Gen 2 notebooks, a one pixel wide vertical line may develop across the LCD screen over time. Systems that may be affected by this issue shipped from Nov. 2004 through Oct 2006. Here’s what we’re doing: for affected systems, Dell is offering to replace any LCD that develops a vertical line, at no charge for parts and labor. Also, Dell will offer refunds to customers who paid Dell to replace defective LCDs with this issue. Dell values our customers, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We will send letters to all potentially affected customers whose systems are out of warranty. We have already begun mailing them—letters will be sent to our customers at their last known address. To summarize the key criteria: This potential issue applies to Inspiron 9200, 9300 and XPS models XPS models XPS models XPS models XPS models XPS models XPS models and XPS models XPS models XPS models XPS models XPS models XPS models XPS models and XPS models XPS models XPS models XPS models XPS models XPS models XPS models and XPS models XPS models XPS models XPS models XPS models XPS models XPS models Dell fixed my friend Scott, and my other friend Nick's M1210 graphics cards (requiring a motherboard replacement), and I would like the same service." Reference the following case numbers: Scott's Case Number: 633668288 Nick's Case Number: 631589518 Ollie Case Number - 637788486 Naveen Nimmala Case Number - 637608694 LAN MAN Case Number - 639036103 8tnfox - 000128860001 Randizzle case # for reference: 840 921 775 Case numbers 633668288 631589518 637788486 637608694 639036103 4214833 822350537 830016320 840921775 000128860001 I need to get this issue resolved ASAP. Regards, Antoune Dell Should NOT get away with covering up this major defect in the M1210  Regards, Antoune
0 Kudos
TonyyMD
1 Nickel

RE: NVidia GPU bug with Dell XPS M1210

I wrote you few years ago in regards to the " NVidia GPU bug with Dell XPS M1210" and there was a recall by Dell then to get Laptop fixed. Unfortunately, I didn't have access to my office in Cairo, Egypt then because the Spring/Winter, nightmare or what ever you call it, revolution! I finally got to go to my office in Cairo to close entire company and got the chance to bring DEFECTIVE Dell XPS M1210 with me and I ask your help in getting this thing fixed. I need to receive a return Label, work order and box to mail back to you. Laptop was and still defective with problem Dell is aware off and never used more than few hours. I need to get this issues resolved ASAP. Please, e-mail me with requested information. Regards, Antoune "Dell fixed my friend Scott, and my other friend Nick's M1210 graphics cards (requiring a motherboard replacement), and I would like the same service." Reference the following case numbers: Scott's Case Number: 633668288 Nick's Case Number: 631589518 Ollie Case Number - 637788486 Naveen Nimmala Case Number - 637608694 LAN MAN Case Number - 639036103 8tnfox - 000128860001 Randizzle case # for reference: 840 921 775 Case numbers 633668288 631589518 637788486 637608694 639036103 4214833 822350537 830016320 840921775 000128860001 I need to get this issue resolved ASAP. Regards, Antoune Dell Should NOT get away with covering up this major defect in the M1210
0 Kudos