Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 23rd, 2015 07:00

Nearly constant noise from my Latitude E7240

It is not the fan, it is an electronic noise and the drive light flashes almost constantly. It sounds like an old fashioned computer noise, like something you'd hear in a 1970 movie sound effect. Sometimes it also makes a faint chirping noise. The fan sound is totally normal, so it isn't related to that. 

I don't notice this sound when I am in the office plugged into my docking station. But I sure notice it at home! Drives me crazy!

1 Message

July 4th, 2015 23:00

Try turning off bluetooth. I read that bluetooth power management caused an issue in other dell models and so I tried that on my E7240 just now, which had constant high pitched noise which was not the fan, and seemed related to CPU activity. It immediately stopped when I simply disabled bluetooth altogether. Thanks you jesus, it was driving me insane.

May 23rd, 2015 11:00

Hi, 

Do you hear the sound irrespective of charger plugged in or not?

Please decrease the LCD brightness and switch of the keyboard backlight if any and let us know how it goes.

Update the bios.

Regards

74 Posts

May 23rd, 2015 13:00

Coil noise?

Is the sound similar to

?

If yes, call Dell to get your motherboard replaced under warranty.

8 Posts

May 23rd, 2015 16:00

Yes, irrespective of plugged in or not. Decreasing the brightness does not help, and I do not appear to have keyboard backlight on this machine. 

May 23rd, 2015 22:00

Hi, 

Is the noise similar to the one which other user mentioned in this thread on a youtube link.

Regards

8 Posts

May 26th, 2015 06:00

Yes, that is the noise.

May 27th, 2015 22:00

Hi, 

Please PM us the system tag#. 

Regards

8 Posts

May 29th, 2015 14:00

Here is a recording of the noise. [View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3518/Dell-E7240-Noise.m4a:550:0]

8 Posts

July 7th, 2015 10:00

How do you actually "turn off" or disable blue tooth. I have "allow a device to connect" currently turned off.

Thanks.

I should add that Dell did replace my mother board and that helped, but did not stop the problem altogether. I usually still make the sound for the first 30 minutes or so, then stops. So, at least it is not constant.

8 Posts

July 8th, 2015 15:00

Thank the Lord and Hallelujah! I went to the device manager and disabled first the Microsoft blue tooth adapter--no difference. Than I disabled the generic blue tooth adapter and immediately the sound STOPPED! 

Can't thank you enough Rheese Davis for the peace and quiet!

8 Posts

April 20th, 2017 14:00

Thank goodness I entered this response--IT replaced my hard drive and upgraded me to Windows 10. The noise returned! I found this post string, and was able to change the settings on the Intel Bluetooth Adapter to "allow PC to turn off the adapter to save power". Again, the noise and constantly spinning hard drive stopped. Thank goodness!

8 Posts

September 7th, 2017 10:00

Replacing motherboard didn't help.

No Events found!