kwennik
1 Nickel

Nearly constant noise from my Latitude E7240

Jump to solution

It is not the fan, it is an electronic noise and the drive light flashes almost constantly. It sounds like an old fashioned computer noise, like something you'd hear in a 1970 movie sound effect. Sometimes it also makes a faint chirping noise. The fan sound is totally normal, so it isn't related to that. 

I don't notice this sound when I am in the office plugged into my docking station. But I sure notice it at home! Drives me crazy!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rheesedavis
1 Copper

RE: Nearly constant noise from my Latitude E7240

Jump to solution

Try turning off bluetooth. I read that bluetooth power management caused an issue in other dell models and so I tried that on my E7240 just now, which had constant high pitched noise which was not the fan, and seemed related to CPU activity. It immediately stopped when I simply disabled bluetooth altogether. Thanks you jesus, it was driving me insane.

12 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi, 

Do you hear the sound irrespective of charger plugged in or not?

Please decrease the LCD brightness and switch of the keyboard backlight if any and let us know how it goes.

Update the bios.

Regards

DELL-Hemalatha P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos
RBBen
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Coil noise?

Is the sound similar to

?

If yes, call Dell to get your motherboard replaced under warranty.

0 Kudos
kwennik
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Yes, irrespective of plugged in or not. Decreasing the brightness does not help, and I do not appear to have keyboard backlight on this machine. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi, 

Is the noise similar to the one which other user mentioned in this thread on a youtube link.

Regards

DELL-Hemalatha P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos
kwennik
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Yes, that is the noise.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi, 

Please PM us the system tag#. 

Regards

DELL-Hemalatha P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos
kwennik
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Here is a recording of the noise. [View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3518/Dell-E7240-Noise.m4a:550:0]

0 Kudos
rheesedavis
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Try turning off bluetooth. I read that bluetooth power management caused an issue in other dell models and so I tried that on my E7240 just now, which had constant high pitched noise which was not the fan, and seemed related to CPU activity. It immediately stopped when I simply disabled bluetooth altogether. Thanks you jesus, it was driving me insane.

kwennik
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

How do you actually "turn off" or disable blue tooth. I have "allow a device to connect" currently turned off.

Thanks.

I should add that Dell did replace my mother board and that helped, but did not stop the problem altogether. I usually still make the sound for the first 30 minutes or so, then stops. So, at least it is not constant.

0 Kudos