rreddy1981
1 Copper

Need Audio drivers for Windows XP on Dell Vostro 2520

Hi,

The Audio driver on Dell Vostro 2520 is not working after installing Windows XP. I could not find the drivers for Windows XP on dell site.

I  could not work on any other operating system except Windows XP as it supports my project software.

Could you please help.. Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jim Coates
5 Osmium

RE: Need Audio drivers for Windows XP on Dell Vostro 2520

Hello. We had a similar discussion about this a few months ago in this thread regarding the Vostro 2420 model. None of us know of an XP audio driver for that model and I think it is probably the same for the Vostro 2520.

If you have to have audio you should be able to get a usb audio adapter that works with XP.

Another possible solution is if you have access to Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate, or Enterprise. Those OS can run in virtual XP mode. You download 2 free programs from Microsoft, one of which is a full version of XP. When all is set up you can run in Win 7 and have audio working, then switch to XP when you need to use your project software. On my laptop, a Latitude E5420 with IDT audio, the audio works both in 7 and in XP mode.

That solution helped me. I have a major audio program that loaded and worked fine in Win 7, except that its files that I had previously made and saved in XP would not open properly, so I opened them all in XP mode, copied and pasted them into 7, and re-saved. No more problem with the files after that.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

RE: Need Audio drivers for Windows XP on Dell Vostro 2520

Hi,

The Audio driver on Dell Vostro 2520 is not working after installing Windows XP. I could not find the drivers for Windows XP on dell site.

I  could not work on any other operating system except Windows XP as it supports my project software.

Could you please help.. Thanks

I would recommend use of VirttualBox for your Windows XP installation. There is no point compromising your entire systems security (for one program) by using an Operating System that is 5 months to end of life.

If you really want to install XP natively, provide the hardware IDs for your audio device or try extracting the Windows 7 32 Bit driver using 7zip and install via device manager.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos