Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2013 05:00

Need Vostro 2420 cirrus logic HD audio drivers for win xp

I bought vostro 2420 (V2420R, celeron 1000m ver without OS), after installed windows xp, I got some problems with the drivers for xp system since you don't have any of it to download (only win7&8 available). Now I have most of the drivers done, but I can't find any compatible cirrus logic HD audio drivers. Now I don't have any sound available for my NB, could you please help fix this issue, thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 30th, 2013 05:00

Try Cirrus Logic - but bear in mind that XP goes end of life on April 9, 2014 -- meaning it'll be useless for Internet applications (i.e., no more security updates).  It's time to upgrade to 7.

2.6K Posts

July 30th, 2013 06:00

Hello Sam Wu,

Vostro 2420 was never tested with Windows XP due to which drivers compatible with Windows XP are unavailable in Dell Support site. I also tried searching for the Cirrus Logic audio drivers in their website, but could not locate the drivers compatible with Windows XP. I would agree with Ejn63 and suggest you to upgrade to Windows 7.

7 Posts

July 30th, 2013 07:00

I have both windows xp and windows 7, for some reasons I prefer to use xp. Is there any way to find a generic audio driver for xp??? I just need it work, no need to have a good performance.

2.6K Posts

July 31st, 2013 09:00

Hello Sam Wu,

Unfortunately, I could not locate any driver compatible with Windows XP.

807 Posts

July 31st, 2013 19:00

CS4213D

7 Posts

July 31st, 2013 19:00

well..thanks for your help, could you please help advice the model number of the cirrus logic audio chip which vostro 2420 using. I will send a mail to cirrus logic and see if they can help send me a audio driver for windows xp.

7 Posts

August 15th, 2013 17:00

This is terrible, I still can't find a windwos xp driver for cirrus logic hd audio for vostro 2420. I will definitely ask my friends not to buy dell's product since the support is very bad !!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 15th, 2013 19:00

I don't understand. I would not expect Dell to be able supply a driver for an operating system that it does not support, and on the Vostro 2420 it only supports Win 7 & 8.

Suppose you had installed Windows 95. Would you have expected Dell to supply an audio driver for that operating system?

Did someone at Dell tell you that it would support XP on the Vostro 2420?

7 Posts

August 16th, 2013 18:00

whatever, I won't buy anything made by Dell anymore. I bought this one on line and it's shipped with no windows OS. If it only supports windows 7&8, they should put this info out. I don't know what's wrong with you, but windows xp has it's market still, lots of people still use it and that's a good enough reason to support it.

I can get all the other drivers, compatible with windows xp from OTHER notebook brand, like HP, Lenovo etc. since they use the same chip, but I can't find a driver from Dell, what's wrong with that?? The other players can provide similar products and in the same price, most important is their support is much better since they support windows xp still.

You are a Dell fan, you will justify everything for them, but it won't solve my problem, I need a cirrus logic HD audio driver for windows xp, that's all. 

7 Posts

August 16th, 2013 18:00

By the by, windows xp is still supported by Microsoft. It might be dying, but not dead. The windows 95 example is not very good.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 16th, 2013 19:00

You are a Dell fan, you will justify everything for them

Ha ha, Obviously you have not read my profile page.

7 Posts

August 17th, 2013 03:00

Will this be read by Dell support team? or it's just a place for people to kill their time? Can something constructive pop up?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 17th, 2013 05:00

Will this be read by Dell support team?

Dell_Allan D has already responded to you here in your thread.

or it's just a place for people to kill their time?

It is a discussion board for Dell owners to communicate with each other. Dell employees may also post.

Can something constructive pop up?

Dell does not write the audio drivers. It gets them from the vendor, in this case Cirrus Logic. As far as I can determine the driver you want simply does not exist because it has not been written. If there is an XP audio driver for you, it is going to be one that was written for a different Cirrus Logic codec that just happens to work with your chip. The only way I know for you to find that driver, if it exists, is through trial & error, by trying Cirrus Logic XP drivers until you find one that works on your laptop.

There were similar situations in the past. When Dell was shipping the Inspiron 1525 with Vista pre-installed, it only supported Vista. However some owners who wanted to use XP found an XP audio driver meant for a different model that would install on the 1525. That knowledge was shared through this discussion board.

The difference between then and now is that at that time there was a big demand for XP drivers so a lot of folks were looking for solutions like that. Now there are probably few, if any, owners of a Cirrus Logic codec who are actively cross-matching different CL XP drivers, so that kind of solution is highly unlikely to pop up here on the discussion board.

If you are still within the return period you should return the laptop and go to a different manufacturer, but first research which of their model lines support XP. I just got a Latitude model and Dell does support XP on it. I suspect it is the same with all brands -- they probably do not support all operating systems on every model.

No Events found!