Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

June 14th, 2010 18:00

Need help to choose between Studio 15, Studio 17 or Studio XPS for kind a home theater use and Solidworks use...

Hi! I'm looking for informations about Hardware in those laptops that will work to transfert my image and sound from Laptop dvd to TV (did HDMI do both of it? or do I need extra stuff, cable, or TV Tuner Card?)...

and those graphic card, with i7core, 64bits, will work good if I use Solidworks for simple 3d, not too much complicated part like doing a complete car for example. I'm doing regular, simple project...???

Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 14th, 2010 18:00

For Solidworks, you should be considering a Precision M6500.  The ones you've listed are mid-range multimedia notebooks - they won't handle Solidworks well.

June 15th, 2010 04:00

I know Dassault are testing professionnal graphic card and there is a list on the website... the problem is the price of those notebooks, Dell or Lenovo are over 2000$... Do you have any other suggestions?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 15th, 2010 05:00

If the budget won't stretch to a mobile work station with a high-end (preferably nVidia, for solidworks) video chip, then buy a desktop - you will absolutely be disappointed with the performance of Solidworks on a mid-range multimedia notebook.

June 15th, 2010 15:00

you are the second one who tells me that! and I'm sure a desktop would be better than a laptop but I also want to work outside on sunny days... And I already have a desktop, popular use system, maybe 3 years old, with a regular nVidia, Athlon 64, 32bits, and it works pretty good for what I'm doing except I'm not able to put material effect on my parts.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 15th, 2010 16:00

Upgrade the video card in the desktop system, and you should be all set.  If you need a notebook, by all means buy one - just don't expect to be running Solidworks optimally on any Studio, Studio XPS or Inspiron system.

19 Posts

November 17th, 2010 15:00

The nV 435m is a mid range card - but a very modern one with 2GB vram.  Could be a bit risky, There are some gaming oriented laptops you can get for under $2000.  For example with the nV GTX 460m card for about $1400.   This is high end. 

No Events found!