Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2016 12:00

Need reinstallation media for Inspiron N5050 with error code Oxc0000001

My daughter's laptop fails to boot, showing error code Oxc0000001. All restores, diagnostics etc have been tried. No joy. It is now asking for reinstallation media in order to proceed, but the machine came with no disc. Is there a link to download a windows 7 iso so that I can reinstall Windows 7.

Thank you . Simon

9 Posts

January 20th, 2016 04:00

Hi Simon,

Windows has a download site but as far as i can see you would have had to have a retail product key so you can download.

Dell may sell you copies of recovery disks if they still support this model not sure on that you may need to contact them?

Failing that you may have to buy a copy of the Operating System.

More importantly, is there any user data on the machine that's of value?

regards Brad

3 Posts

January 20th, 2016 05:00

Hi there. I do have a product key, it is on the back of the laptop. But the microsoft operating system down load page will not accept it as it says the software was preloaded by the manufacturer, and advises me to refer to the manufacturer. Since I have already bought a copy of the operating system, with the laptop, it seems wrong that I should have to buy it again in order to fix this problem.

Simon

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

January 20th, 2016 07:00

Hi there. I do have a product key, it is on the back of the laptop. But the microsoft operating system down load page will not accept it as it says the software was preloaded by the manufacturer, and advises me to refer to the manufacturer. Since I have already bought a copy of the operating system, with the laptop, it seems wrong that I should have to buy it again in order to fix this problem.

Simon

What Microsoft Operating System download page?

Microsoft has pulled all legitimate downloads of Windows 7.

In addition, since the hard drive is failing to boot, installation of Windows isn't going to help. You have a BAD hard drive and will need to replace it.

9 Posts

January 20th, 2016 11:00

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows7

but as i said requires purchased retail product key from (dvd,flash drive) doesn,t work with manufacturer product key

9 Posts

January 20th, 2016 12:00

be a bit hard

I was positive that i replied to his post as far as the user data question, sorry

thanks for letting me know about the link problem, see if it works now

edited: i just checked the post I and i did reply to user it would be handy if the forum displayed that so you don't have to go and check who you posted to and the reader could see who it was meant for

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

You didn't answer the question I asked regarding user data (eg important documents, photos etc) of any value so am I to assume that there's nothing on the laptop of any importance or you have all this backed up safely?

HUH?

How would I know whether there is anything of importance on YOUR laptop?

9 Posts

You didn't answer the question I asked regarding user data (eg important documents, photos etc) of any value so am I to assume that there's nothing on the laptop of any importance or you have all this backed up safely?

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

but as i said requires purchased retail product key from (dvd,flash drive) doesn,t work with manufacturer product key

Your link doesn't work.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

January 20th, 2016 13:00

Thanks for your various inputs folks. I have decided to first try a clean install of Windows 7 (obtained via ebay). If I can't get that running I will assume that I need to replace the hard drive and try a second hand hard drive (again via ebay). This would all be much simpler if Dell supplied a recovery disc with their machine. To my mind the original purchase was of a laptop and a licenced version of Windows 7 home premium. So if the laptop fails, I should still be the owner of  Windows 7 home premium. Doesn't seem to quite work out like that.

End of topic?

Thanks.

Most PC manufacturers do not provide recovery disc; it isn't just Dell.

When you first received the PC, you should have created the recovery media. I got nagged about it with my new Dell Optiplex 3020.

The license of Windows 7 Home Premium is OEM and stays with the PC. You should try reading the small print.

3 Posts

January 20th, 2016 13:00

Thanks for your various inputs folks. I have decided to first try a clean install of Windows 7 (obtained via ebay). If I can't get that running I will assume that I need to replace the hard drive and try a second hand hard drive (again via ebay). This would all be much simpler if Dell supplied a recovery disc with their machine. To my mind the original purchase was of a laptop and a licenced version of Windows 7 home premium. So if the laptop fails, I should still be the owner of  Windows 7 home premium. Doesn't seem to quite work out like that.

End of topic?

Thanks.

No Events found!