Highlighted
ldwhite68
1 Copper

Need to charge battery to save data

I have an Inspiron 600m laptop. The power supply connection (on the laptop itself, not just the power adapter) broke recently after being dropped on a hard floor. The hard drive and screen continued to operate normally until the battery drained down. Only then did I realize my problem. I don't expect to be able to repair the computer economically, but do need to recover the files that are on the hard drive. If I just had a way to charge up the battery, then I could run the computer long enough to get everything off the hard disk. I have not had any luck finding anyone with a compatible laptop to either charge the battery or put the hard drive into. I have only found one vendor online that sells a compatible external battery charger ($45), and they're out of stock. Can someone please give me a recommendation how I can charge the battery or otherwise get my files back without spending an arm and a leg???

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Need to charge battery to save data

Remove the hard drive, mount it in a 2.5" EIDE USB 2.0 case ($10-20;  newegg.com has dozens of these) and attach it to a working system -- copy your data to the working system's hard drive.  You'll then have a backup drive to use with a new system.

0 Kudos
ldwhite68
1 Copper

I forgot to mention that I tried to do that. The problem I had was finding a compatible enclosure case. When I searched, I was unable to find one that would work for my hard drive. Searching yesterday on newegg.com for "2.5" EIDE USB 2.0 case", I did find two cases. But I can't tell from the descriptions whether they are compatible for me. How can I be sure of that? I don't remember exactly what my previous search was. Maybe I didn't specify EIDE. I haven't kept up with different hard drive standards the last several years. I do know that my hard drive has very different pins than on the newer ones. That was the problem that came up with an external hard drive enclosure that a colleague offered to help me.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

You need to pull that connector from the back of the drive to expose the pins.  Then it'll fit in any standard EIDE drive case, such as:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817106093

0 Kudos