Highlighted
Michael Liang
1 Copper

Netflix times out

Hi, I'm looking for a fix regarding streaming Netflix and having my display shut off after only a few minutes. I can usually watch one episode or movie without issue, however the next video doesn't seem to be detected by my OS or laptop, and after a few minutes the display will go black - the video still plays as the audio does not stop, and I have to touch the keyboard or jiggle the mouse to get the display back up. This is an annoyance as I have to do this every 5 minutes or so. This problem occurs whether I run Netflix through my default browser (Google Chrome v 26.0.1410.64 m) or through Windows Media Center. This appears to be an issue unique to Netflix streaming and not with other video sources including Hulu, justin.tv, Youtube, or playing a DVD/Blu-Ray disc.

Despite changing the power options to never dim/turn off the display or go to sleep, the screen will still shut off if I haven't touched the mouse after a few minutes or so. I've also looked into the advanced power options and have changed the options so the computers is instructed to stay awake when plugged in.

I've also looked around the web and have seen that others have tried to solve this issue, including an autohotkey script, which I have tried, but have not gotten to work:

http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/40704-netflix-silverlight-screen-saver-disabler/

Has anyone run into this issue and found a solution?

My system info:

Dell XPS 702X, Intel Core i7-2760QM @ 2.40 GHz, 8GB RAM

Windows 7 SP1

Thanks for any help

0 Kudos