Highlighted
2 Bronze

New 6430u smells awful

Jump to solution

So a few weeks ago I got a new Lattitude 6430u for work.

The machine is great, but it smells as if it was assembled near a tomcats litter box.  It is truly awful!  

It  seems to be coming from the keyboard.

Anybody got any advice on removing the smell?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

RE: New 6430u smells awful

Jump to solution

Hello,

If you are having an issue with your laptop smelling bad please see the following link. http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/direct2dell/b/direct2dell/archive/2013/10/30/solution-to-the...

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

DELL-Sam L
Social Media Support Enterprise
#IWork4Dell

View solution in original post

Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

As Sam mentioned above and as you are all probably aware by now, we do have a fix for the E6430u Smell issue. I want to thank each and every one of you for your patience as we worked thru this situation. We are committed to our customers and delighted to have been able to have brought this to resolution.

Dell-SteveB
Client Product Strategist | MCTS, MCDST, CompTIA Security+ Certified
Follow me on Twitter: @StevebAtDell

View solution in original post

96 Replies
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Re: New 6430u smells awful

Jump to solution

Hi three west,

Remove the keyboard and try to clean it with a soft cloth. Also use a can of compressed air to clean the Keyboard area. Please follow the instructions from the manual to remove the keyboard.

ftp.dell.com/.../latitude-6430u-ultrabook_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Same experience.  I thought for sure one of my cats sprayed it, but there was something faulty with it so I had it replaced.  The next one had the same exact issue.  It's embarrassing taking it to clients because it smells so bad.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi hotecha,

I am sorry about this, you can clean the laptop air vents using the can of compressed air, if the issue still persists, I would suggest you to contact the local technician and they will help you further.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

No amount of compressed air is going to help the awful stench coming from the keyboard

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks.. I am having the same issue. When I started using the laptop at the end of last week I thought I smelt something odd. Well.. here I am Sunday doing some work on the couch and my wife says "what stinks like cat pee". I said.. I think its this laptop.. puts her nose up to the keyboard and BAM! It really stinks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi gambit29,

You can clean the laptop air vents using the can of compressed air, if the issue still persists, I would suggest you to contact the local technician and they will help you further.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Unfortunately same problem here in the NL. I'm the second one in our company with this problem, cleaning is not possible, it doesn’t go away. Mine is on its way to Dell now to replace keyboard and palm-rest. The smell isn't coming from the fan on below, but definitely from the palm-rests.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Richard,

I am glad that your system is getting fixed, please let me know the system service tag, express service code or dispatch number through a private message, so that I can check and let you know the status of the repair.

Click on my username select start conversation and send me the details.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Would greatly appreciate it Richard if you would update us on this.  I'm not sure I can live with this smell for the life of the machine, but don't know how long they would have to have it and if I could be without it for that long.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Sure no prob, I will keep you posted. I work at a large company with thousands of Dell machines, so they gave me a temporary laptop in between.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution
Today they have replaced my keyboard and palm rest at he office. I am not sure if the smell is really gone, it seems not to... We'll keep an eye on it together with the guys from our ICT dept and local Dell mechanics. Can be that thy have to dig deeper for this problem...
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the update, please let me know if you need any assistance in future.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

We hope to provide a fix very shortly.

Dell-SteveB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Steve I sent you a private message.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks for taking an interest Steve.  My stint as a road warrior is over for the moment, and I have to say that after running on the docking station with the lid closed for 5 weeks perhaps I have cooked the smell out of my unit.  I unhooked it and let it cool overnight, and this morning no more terrible smell!

I can assure you that this was not any sort of normal new electronic sort of smell.  As hotecha mentioned above, I would have been embarrassed to open the lid near a client.  It also persisted for approximately two months.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Thanks, I've sent a reply.

Dell-SteveB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Steve, sent you a twitter request. My machine is a couple weeks old and, well, it's unusable with the stench. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I am on my third laptop.  The second one's speaker was faulty and the bio-metric device was unreliable.  It also smelled awful.  Now the third one interestingly enough seemed to smell better over out of the box, but it's getting worse.  I think it's time to move to a different Ultra-book...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I am the technology coordinator at Washington DC public high school. We have about 300 Dell Latitude 6430u laptops. 60 have been issued to teachers for the school year. So far, two staffers have complained of the cat urine smell. Is this something I can expect to hear from everyone and what should my next steps be?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Earlier this week, we arraigned for several customer systems to be shipped to our engineering team for evaluation. We are currently waiting on these units to arrive. Based on information collected so far, biological contamination is not suspected. As soon as we have more information, we'll update the thread.

Dell-SteveB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Hey CNADIR,

Would you mind messaging me the service tag of one of the units that is exhibiting the issue? If you also have the service tag of one that is NOT exhibiting the issue, that would be a huge help.

Dell-SteveB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have the same odor problem with my NEW 6430u which I have been waiting for a long time (and during that time resisting not to buy a Lenovo X1 Carbon). Definitelly this problem has nothing to do with air vents. I know little bit about plastics and I am quite sure that the problem is originated from the polymer used in the case of the laptop (top, buttom, keypad & palmrest) This polymer is mixed & molded with special additives and plastifiers (to accomodate the soft touch affect). Some of those chemicals are now migrating to the surface and creating this awful odor. Besides the odor, I am aslo more concerned about the possible negative health effects of these chemicals which are absorbed by our body through contact with skin and inhalation.

I am sure that everybody in DELL  well aware of this problem (as long as they have functioning nasal receptors). This can never be considered as an acceptable defect and I can not imagine how DELL can realease such a flagship model to the market in such condition?

Big disappointmet!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Add me to the list of people who have received a few of these terribly smelly Latitude E6430u's.      One night, I was working on a new unit and I thought for sure that the guy in the next cube who has a cat brought the cat into work and it urinated on the floor.  Smelled just like that.   Took me about an hour to determine that the foul odor was coming from the new laptop.

I've ordered 5 of the 6430u's and 2 of them have this smell, the other 3 do not.   It's awful.   I can smell it from a few feet away.   Like others have said, it smells like a cat urinated right around the Latitude logo on the front bezel.

Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Folks,

Engineering has a sample and has sent to it our vendor for analysis. I hope to be able to post more info in the next week or two. This is a top priority for Dell so I do not expect the analysis to take long. Please keep an eye on this thread for more info.

Dell-SteveB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

hello,

i received my new e6430u yesterday and it smells like 10 year old sneakers! whats wrong with it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Dell Engineering and our suppliers have been analyzing a captured unit and are close to a root cause. A biological contaminate/health hazard is not suspected at this time. We appreciate everyone's patience and hope to post more information within a week.

Dell-SteveB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Steve,

I just delivered a laptop to a client today and he refused to accept delivery, even after the keyboard had been replaced.  If you can email me or contact me that would be great. I have a very unhappy customer today.

Thanks,

Brian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Please PM me your contact info.

Dell-SteveB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Steve -

Not sure how to send a direct message here. I've had my notebook for about 4 weeks. The smell is bad and appears to be getting worse. Please let me know how to contact you.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Has this issued been resolved or a cause been found?

We are having the same issue with three of our new laptops that our VIPs use.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

We believe that we are close to a resolution and should be able to put out more info next week. Keep watching this thread and big thanks to everyone for your patience.

Dell-SteveB
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

thanks for the update Steve

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

We just received a couple of Latitude 6430U and we are experiencing the same problem. I have not found any other laptop with the same issue and my guess/hope is that the smell will go away with time. This has been an embarrassing situation with our employees...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Dell is close to a root cause and we should be able to put out more info in a few days. No health or safety hazard is known to exist. Again, thanks to everyone for your patience as we work thru this issue. Keep watching this thread for more info.

Dell-SteveB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Same issue - I have been blaming a new kitten who I swore was creeping into my closed back pack at night and magically only hitting the PC with a concentrated urine stream which then magically evaporated. Glad to hear I am not alone (people see my smelling my PC and think I am insane!) and my apologies to the cat.  Mine is ongoing for 3 weeks and hoping it will simmer down.  I don't see how something this ???? could make it through QC!  Seriously, is this the best Dell can do?  Next time please make it smell like a new car or send me some Fabreeze along with the unit.  And the smell does linger on my palms and fingers!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I have the same issue with my Latitude 6430u. i thought i was going mad .. please let me know how this can be resolved

Colm 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hello,  I got a new Latitude 6430u for work, and i've got the same problem. Smell of cat urine emoticon.Ick.title

Well, I tought the smell goes away with the time, but not....

And I found this post, I'm not alone with this amazing problem. Well I've read some post of Brian from Dell

I hope they will find a solution for us !!!

Waiting for some news.

Regards.

Joao R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

We really appreciate everyone's patience as we work thru this issue. I've been in regular communication with our engineering team regarding this and do know that they have pretty much root caused the problem. I'm waiting for them to provide some more info outlining the next steps. When they do, I should be able to put out some more detailed information.

I’ll go out on a limb here and say that the smell is not related to cat urine or any other type of biological contaminate nor is it a health hazard. Keep watching this thread and we should be able to put out more details later this week. Again, thanks for your patience as we work thru this issue.

Dell-SteveB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Steve,

I just got a 6430u from my company two weeks ago. I have had to apologize to clients in advanced for the horrible smell that comes out of the new machine. Please advise.

Thanks,

Ryan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I have the same issue with my new 6430u. Hope this issue is resolved soon.

~Darek

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Just thought I'd add my voice too - if I leave my laptop out over the weekend the smell permeates the whole office. Drew

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

is there an update on this issue. this is taking far to long to resolve

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I just received another 6430u at the end of last week, that was delayed a couple of times...so I was hoping that was to get to the bottom of the smell.   

Unfortunately, this new unit has the same smell.  It's less pronounced than my previous unit, but it's still present.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Did you get this resolved?  I've had my new laptop for a few weeks now and all of the sudden today it started smelling like cat urine....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

This is beyond weird.  I just got the same computer and am having the same exact issue.  It's humiliating in class.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Nope, no resolution as of yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm in europe and i have the same smell problem with that nice 6430u.

Since mid of august, we're trying to find a solution for that horible odor with Dell support.

1 st : palmrest was changed

2nd : Motheboard changed

3rd : yesterday palmrest again

Damn that 6430u still smell like a litter cat.

Quality service is now in the loop....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I see the same thing.. the smell is terrible.... i cannot use it to or at work.. have to give it back as i guess one cannot replace the softener of the plastic parts... ewhhh... and i hope it does not turn out to be hazardous..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

We really appreciate everyone's patience as we work thru this issue. The problem has been resolved and the past few weeks I have been waiting on engineering to release detailed information on a root cause and resolution. We are currently waiting on final engineering failure analysis for a definitive root cause which is expected to come any day now. Once we have this, we can make an official comment. In the meantime, I'll provide a few details of what we do know.

• The smell was related to a manufacturing process that has now been changed
  • The smell is not in any way related to biological contamination
  • The smell is not at all health hazard
  • If you order an E6430u now, it will not have the issue

As soon as we have final engineering failure analysis, more information will be posted on how to immediately resolve the issue. We hope to have the information this week so please keep watching this thread.

Dell-SteveB
0 Kudos