Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 10-31-2013 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

New 6430u smells awful

So a few weeks ago I got a new Lattitude 6430u for work.

The machine is great, but it smells as if it was assembled near a tomcats litter box.  It is truly awful!  

It  seems to be coming from the keyboard.

Anybody got any advice on removing the smell?

Replies (96)
3 Argentum

Thanks, I've sent a reply.

Dell-SteveB
Client Product Strategist | MCTS, MCDST, CompTIA Security+ Certified
Follow me on Twitter: @StevebAtDell
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Thanks for taking an interest Steve.  My stint as a road warrior is over for the moment, and I have to say that after running on the docking station with the lid closed for 5 weeks perhaps I have cooked the smell out of my unit.  I unhooked it and let it cool overnight, and this morning no more terrible smell!

I can assure you that this was not any sort of normal new electronic sort of smell.  As hotecha mentioned above, I would have been embarrassed to open the lid near a client.  It also persisted for approximately two months.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Steve I sent you a private message.

3 Argentum

We hope to provide a fix very shortly.

Dell-SteveB
Client Product Strategist | MCTS, MCDST, CompTIA Security+ Certified
Follow me on Twitter: @StevebAtDell
Dell Technologies

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the update, please let me know if you need any assistance in future.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Today they have replaced my keyboard and palm rest at he office. I am not sure if the smell is really gone, it seems not to... We'll keep an eye on it together with the guys from our ICT dept and local Dell mechanics. Can be that thy have to dig deeper for this problem...
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Sure no prob, I will keep you posted. I work at a large company with thousands of Dell machines, so they gave me a temporary laptop in between.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Would greatly appreciate it Richard if you would update us on this.  I'm not sure I can live with this smell for the life of the machine, but don't know how long they would have to have it and if I could be without it for that long.

Dell Technologies

Hi Richard,

I am glad that your system is getting fixed, please let me know the system service tag, express service code or dispatch number through a private message, so that I can check and let you know the status of the repair.

Click on my username select start conversation and send me the details.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Unfortunately same problem here in the NL. I'm the second one in our company with this problem, cleaning is not possible, it doesn’t go away. Mine is on its way to Dell now to replace keyboard and palm-rest. The smell isn't coming from the fan on below, but definitely from the palm-rests.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor