Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 14th, 2013 08:00

New 6430u smells awful

So a few weeks ago I got a new Lattitude 6430u for work.

The machine is great, but it smells as if it was assembled near a tomcats litter box.  It is truly awful!  

It  seems to be coming from the keyboard.

Anybody got any advice on removing the smell?

1 Message

September 16th, 2013 08:00

Steve -

Not sure how to send a direct message here. I've had my notebook for about 4 weeks. The smell is bad and appears to be getting worse. Please let me know how to contact you.

Bob

1 Message

September 20th, 2013 12:00

Has this issued been resolved or a cause been found?

We are having the same issue with three of our new laptops that our VIPs use.

September 21st, 2013 19:00

We believe that we are close to a resolution and should be able to put out more info next week. Keep watching this thread and big thanks to everyone for your patience.

6 Posts

September 23rd, 2013 07:00

thanks for the update Steve

42 Posts

September 24th, 2013 01:00

We just received a couple of Latitude 6430U and we are experiencing the same problem. I have not found any other laptop with the same issue and my guess/hope is that the smell will go away with time. This has been an embarrassing situation with our employees...

September 24th, 2013 08:00

Dell is close to a root cause and we should be able to put out more info in a few days. No health or safety hazard is known to exist. Again, thanks to everyone for your patience as we work thru this issue. Keep watching this thread for more info.

1 Message

September 25th, 2013 13:00

Same issue - I have been blaming a new kitten who I swore was creeping into my closed back pack at night and magically only hitting the PC with a concentrated urine stream which then magically evaporated. Glad to hear I am not alone (people see my smelling my PC and think I am insane!) and my apologies to the cat.  Mine is ongoing for 3 weeks and hoping it will simmer down.  I don't see how something this ???? could make it through QC!  Seriously, is this the best Dell can do?  Next time please make it smell like a new car or send me some Fabreeze along with the unit.  And the smell does linger on my palms and fingers!

September 28th, 2013 15:00

I have the same issue with my Latitude 6430u. i thought i was going mad .. please let me know how this can be resolved

Colm 

1 Message

September 29th, 2013 10:00

Hello,  I got a new Latitude 6430u for work, and i've got the same problem. Smell of cat urine :emotion-41:

Well, I tought the smell goes away with the time, but not....

And I found this post, I'm not alone with this amazing problem. Well I've read some post of Brian from Dell

I hope they will find a solution for us !!!

Waiting for some news.

Regards.

Joao R.

September 30th, 2013 08:00

We really appreciate everyone's patience as we work thru this issue. I've been in regular communication with our engineering team regarding this and do know that they have pretty much root caused the problem. I'm waiting for them to provide some more info outlining the next steps. When they do, I should be able to put out some more detailed information.

I’ll go out on a limb here and say that the smell is not related to cat urine or any other type of biological contaminate nor is it a health hazard. Keep watching this thread and we should be able to put out more details later this week. Again, thanks for your patience as we work thru this issue.

1 Message

September 30th, 2013 20:00

Steve,

I just got a 6430u from my company two weeks ago. I have had to apologize to clients in advanced for the horrible smell that comes out of the new machine. Please advise.

Thanks,

Ryan

1 Message

October 6th, 2013 17:00

I have the same issue with my new 6430u. Hope this issue is resolved soon.

~Darek

2 Posts

October 7th, 2013 02:00

Just thought I'd add my voice too - if I leave my laptop out over the weekend the smell permeates the whole office. Drew

October 8th, 2013 16:00

is there an update on this issue. this is taking far to long to resolve

20 Posts

October 9th, 2013 08:00

I just received another 6430u at the end of last week, that was delayed a couple of times...so I was hoping that was to get to the bottom of the smell.   

Unfortunately, this new unit has the same smell.  It's less pronounced than my previous unit, but it's still present.

No Events found!