Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 14th, 2013 08:00

New 6430u smells awful

So a few weeks ago I got a new Lattitude 6430u for work.

The machine is great, but it smells as if it was assembled near a tomcats litter box.  It is truly awful!  

It  seems to be coming from the keyboard.

Anybody got any advice on removing the smell?

1 Message

October 24th, 2013 15:00

I received the Latitude 6430u for work about 2 months ago, and I had the same horrendous smell! This forum was very helpful in convincing my IT department that it wasn't just me being crazy, the computer legitimately smelled horrible.

As a preliminary step, I used an alcohol/water solution to clean the keyboard and trackpad, and it helped significantly, but the smell was definitely still there, especially when opening it in the morning if it had been shut all night. 

I finally got around to getting the keyboard and trackpad replaced, and the smell is gone! PHEW!

1 Message

October 25th, 2013 00:00

We have an issue with top client. We got just 10-12 days ago now. The client wants nothing to do with it, as it's on his hands now too. So we could use your help getting it RAM's tomorrow, or ASAP.

Can you email us, and setup a RMA for us. We will order the 6430 standard model instead. Please email us  , ask for Kristina.

44 Posts

October 25th, 2013 01:00

We have an issue with top client. We got just 10-12 days ago now. The client wants nothing to do with it, as it's on his hands now too. So we could use your help getting it RAM's tomorrow, or ASAP.

Can you email us, and setup a RMA for us. We will order the 6430 standard model instead. Please email us , ask for Kristina.

Try sending a PM to Steve from Dell who's posted in this thread. Click on the link below and then click on the option on the right side to send him a PM. Obviously he hasn't been back to reply recently.

http://en.community.dell.com/members/dell_2d00_steve-b/[

1 Message

October 29th, 2013 20:00

I want you to know that I killed our 1 year old cat, thinking it was pissing on my computer each night and now come across THIS forum telling me otherwise.  Not only do I want a new computer, I want a new cat, vet fees, letter of apology and payment for my divorce lawyer, since my wife has left me after finding this out.  

1 Message

October 29th, 2013 23:00

Wow, that escalated quickly.

2 Posts

October 30th, 2013 00:00

I have the same laptop problem and have yet to receive an answer as to what I am supposed to do next.  How are you guys going to fix the very laptop that I have had to use in front of the sampling of my mid-eastern food convention that people seemed to eventually walk away from...I have a catering business, and this was THE once a year advertising that had made my business what it is today.  We had the health department Substitute character removed as per TOU> us out the door. We prepared for this for weeks, how could I have predicted this obscene smell that would not go away even after trying to severely clean the palm pad and everything else around...I tried using various garments to mask the smell, but could never get the combinations to work.   Please email me:

or at least have someone write to me what fresh new creative kinds of a restitution you could ever provide.  thanks, MJ

: Email ID removed as per privacy policy>

2 Posts

October 30th, 2013 00:00

Dear Dell,

It has been well over four months since you first found out about this problem, I discovered this problem last night after purchasing a Catipee 6430u. On bringing it home I sat it on my desk and was loading software onto it when every cat in the house set upon it.

I had to break out the shotgun and shoot my cats.

I would like replacement cats and hold you entirely liable on compensating me said cats forthwith. I will pursue this matter strenuously within the law should you not replace my damaged cats.

Regards,

BaSH PR0MPT

• 

3K Posts

October 30th, 2013 01:00

Hi Everyone,

Firstly, I would like to apologies to everyone for the experience on the smell. We, all technical support are ready to take every calls on this issue.

You will need to call into technical support toll free in your country, log a call on your 6430U smell, and the tehnical support will do the rest. A replacement of the palmrest should get rid of the smell. Be sure that your laptop is under warranty for the replacement.

17 Posts

October 30th, 2013 02:00

Nah, it's fair. Chances are, you all are still under warranty. I'm pretty sure anyway; If you haven't done anything about the smell for the 3 years it takes for standard warranty to expire, the smell will have gone away by itself by then.

44 Posts

That's rich throwing in a requirement that people's laptops still be under warranty for you all to fix a manufacturer's defect that your quality control didn't catch which allowed product to be shipped out smelling like cat pee.

1 Message

I'm having a similar issue only mine smells like emu urine, which is weird because I actually own an emu farm.. I beat the holy living daylights out of one of my emus, Marv, because he's kind of a tinkler and I was really thinking he did it.  Now I'm not so sure.. :emotion-42:

• 

3K Posts

October 30th, 2013 03:00

Of course we do make exceptions in extraordinary cases and do what’s right by the customer in whatever way we can regardless.
As such, the best thing to do now is to report the problem to Technical Support and we will take it from there.

2 Posts

October 30th, 2013 04:00

You will need to call into technical support toll free in your country, log a call on your 6430U smell, and the tehnical support will do the rest.

Uhm. No. Users here have included their serial numbers and already had SEVERAL points of contact with your company. You can check their tickets and manage the re-issue through here thanks. You don't need to fob them off and leave the ball in their court again to claim another part. Did Apple do that with the bumpers when they screwed up? Of course not. 

Be sure that your laptop is under warranty for the replacement.

Ignore this guy. He might have DELL- in front of his name, but clearly he doesn't work for Dell. If he does, he won't in a few days issuing such TERRIBLE advice that amounts to criminal negligence.

Your laptop, if affected by this fault, WILL be replaced by Dell or you will be able to sue them for a replacement, and all your time, losses, and messing around. It's that simple.

If you, Dell, choose to ignore these guys, I'll personally be having an absolute blast representing them free of charge in a class action against you. (Snap, I knew all that law school would come in handy one day on the internets!)

@bashpr0mpt on Twitter, if you're having difficulty getting these guys to pull their fingers out, add me and let me know. I'll ride them for you and get some equitable solution. No one deserves Substitute character removed as per TOU> service like this.

Warranty? What planet are you on dude? You're selling a defective computer that SMELLS LIKE CAT PISS. You're a bad meme right now, you will forever be known as the cat piss computer company. FOREVER. And you're pinching pennies about warranty? Dear god man. Someone sack this imbecile already.

2 Posts

October 30th, 2013 08:00

I take it everyone's seen these stories in the news today.

BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24741832

Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/oct/30/dell-laptop-cat-pee-urine-smell-latitude-e6430u

My replacement palmrest is being couriered over today. Let's see how it works out......

October 30th, 2013 08:00

Just wanted to provide a quick update for everyone.

As mentioned before, the issue was fully investigated and Dell has determined that the smell is not at all related to cat urine or any biological contaminate. Further testing revealed that there is no health hazard related to the smell.

The issue has been corrected on new units currently being ordered. We are currently finalizing plans for a full resolution for those who still have unit that exhibits the issue. I am hoping to post a root cause and resolution either this week or the next and am just waiting on engineering to finalize a few details.

We do appreciate everyone's patience as we work thru this issue. For updates, keep watching this thread or follow me on twitter @stevebatdell

No Events found!