Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 30th, 2010 08:00

New Alienware M17X, when the lid closes changes display or turns black

First whenever I closed the lid for my new laptop it would either turn black or change to the second display. I should also mention that the display setting are set up so that when you close the lid it does nothing, but I also tried it out with sleep method and the exact same thing happens. The only way to solve the problem is to either change the displays setting on a second monitor that I have to connect to.

I right now have it on Mobile Pc Display but every time I close the lid it changes to Generic Non PNP Monitor.

So now those anyone know how to fix this problem for when I close the laptop display I wouldn't have to connect it a different  monitor to be able to use it again?

6 Posts

October 28th, 2010 01:00

First whenever I closed the lid for my new laptop it would either turn black or change to the second display. I should also mention that the display setting are set up so that when you close the lid it does nothing, but I also tried it out with sleep method and the exact same thing happens. The only way to solve the problem is to either change the displays setting on a second monitor that I have to connect to.

I right now have it on Mobile Pc Display but every time I close the lid it changes to Generic Non PNP Monitor.

So now those anyone know how to fix this problem for when I close the laptop display I wouldn't have to connect it a different  monitor to be able to use it again?

This happens to me too on my new alienware M17x.  It's extremely annoying..  Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

I also have problems with the crossfire option - if I 'enable' crossfire, the screen goes blank and I pretty much can't do anything until I hard-reset a few times and I get a windows screen (or I hit F8 and select 'use last known good configuration').

Will be calling Dell about this soon - but thought I'd check the forums first to see if there were any easy fixes!

9 Posts

October 28th, 2010 10:00

let me know if it works eh

9 Posts

October 28th, 2010 10:00

upgrade your VBIOS and then upgrade your Video Drivers that should fix it. apparently a known issue with 5870 cards

6 Posts

October 31st, 2010 23:00

Yep seems to have done the trick... I would've gotten around to doing that eventually... It's a bit dodgy that the default drivers and BIOS have such fundamental functionality issues..  Hopefully I don't have any further problems with it!

6 Posts

October 31st, 2010 23:00

[quote user="XtremeLAN"]

Yep seems to have done the trick... I would've gotten around to doing that eventually... It's a bit dodgy that the default drivers and BIOS have such fundamental functionality issues..  Hopefully I don't have any further problems with it!

[/quote]

Almost forgot.. Cheers for the help - I'd seen very little in the way of reports on this problem so I'm glad you responded!

I guess most people immediately upgrade the video driver / bios and so don't have this problem.

I seem to have bought a laptop that needs more 'enthusiast effort' than I've got time for these days.

9 Posts

November 1st, 2010 08:00

Ahhh great it did work for you...... well i'm sure alot of ppl would just update the video drivers and not the video bios. So they at lest have the fix put out there, that does seem odd doesn't it. lol:emotion-8:

6 Posts

November 3rd, 2010 05:00

Hmm.. while the video situation is a lot better - I'm now noticing that playing videos sometimes crashes the driver or (as just happened a minute ago) playing a youtube clip embedded in facebook blue-screened the entire machine :-/

Any ideas? :)

9 Posts

November 3rd, 2010 09:00

The exact same videos on another machine play fine?

oh yeah almost forgot what browser and what else do you have running?, also did you happen to see the blazing blue screen? there is a way to have stay when you get the menu to start in safe mode ....... there is a option to have... forget what it's called or you can do this:

Right click My Computer and go to properties. Go to the Advanced tab and under Startup and Recovery go to settings. Under system failure uncheck Automatically Restart.

then give blue screen error

6 Posts

November 14th, 2010 18:00

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m17x/487097-m17x-5870-cf-crashing-matroska-codec-2.html

The above forum describes the problem I think I'm having too...

Basically it crashes often when playing some kind of videos (especially on youtube)... One thing that's consistantly bringing up the problem is watching video stories on www.smh.com.au (newspaper website)... the video clips on there are preceded by a 15-second advert, and then it restarts the video stream with the actual story.. That always crashes the video driver and the video doesn't play (I can hear the sound, but the video window is green).

I can use vlc player without any problems on all downloaded videos (x264 etc)...

It appears it might be an acceleration problem on the ati cards...

not sure what I can do about this!  Surely it's something that other people have noticed before... hmm

6 Posts

November 14th, 2010 18:00

One thing that's consistantly bringing up the problem is watching video stories on www.smh.com.au (newspaper website)... the video clips on there are preceded by a 15-second advert, and then it restarts the video stream with the actual story.. That always crashes the video driver and the video doesn't play (I can hear the sound, but the video window is green).

Just to add, the advert bit plays without a problem!

9 Posts

November 15th, 2010 08:00

It actually uses flash player (flash player 10 on mine) ssssoooo what I would do is uninstall flash player and reinstall it or if it's not even on your machine download and install it

No Events found!