Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

A

38 Posts

December 1st, 2005 14:00

New D620 Launch?

Hey folks,

I just wanted to ask if anyone had any information on the possibility of a update to the current D610 in the near future? The reason is we are looking to replace our current C640 laptops which are coming round to 3 years now with new ones and I wondering if its worth hanging back for a possible D620, or just buy a bunch of 610's? Does anyone have any information on when the D620 will become available, possible spec?

Any info would be of great help, I currently trying to contact our Dell Account Manager, but just thought i'd post here also...

thanks!

Alan

307 Posts

December 1st, 2005 16:00

@abrazendale wrote:
Hey folks,
I just wanted to ask if anyone had any information on the possibility of a update to the current D610 in the near future? The reason is we are looking to replace our current C640 laptops which are coming round to 3 years now with new ones and I wondering if its worth hanging back for a possible D620, or just buy a bunch of 610's? Does anyone have any information on when the D620 will become available, possible spec?
Any info would be of great help, I currently trying to contact our Dell Account Manager, but just thought i'd post here also...
thanks!
Alan

Model c640 is fading away in fact, dell's warranty would cover 3 yrs for long . and PIII is good enough in current market comparing to new cpu.

HOw much budget do u have? what is the purpose?

for light weight style, X1 , no doubt about it.

for long time use as pc, take d810 .

d510, d410 or d610 re all alright if u have enough budget no much of difference when u choose 1 of them. or just choose Insprion if u want to.

38 Posts

December 2nd, 2005 07:00

Due to corporate standards, we always buy latitude systems, and swap them out every 3-odd years. Our current systems, C640's (P4 2.2) get moved onto training laptops. The only choices us engineers get are a D610 or 620, I was just wondering if it would be worth hanging on for the 620. not sure when it is gonna be out.

307 Posts

December 2nd, 2005 08:00

WHere did u get this info? dont think it be out there and couldnt find info bout it in advance.

in dell web or dell training web site.

13 Posts

December 2nd, 2005 14:00

A Dell salesperson told me that the D620 will be available in late January or early February. I didn't get any information on the specifications though.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 3rd, 2005 17:00

You can bet it'll be designed around the forthcoming dual-core Pentium-M CPUs.

307 Posts

December 4th, 2005 01:00

just tell the info u have , ejn63, u re expert or master here.

know what we dont .

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 4th, 2005 15:00

It doesn't take an expert to figure out that any system released as new in January will support the CPUs Intel is set to release at that time - those are the dual-core Pentium-M CPUs.

29 Posts

December 5th, 2005 13:00

i read some new article a while back about Dell selling AMD processors(just the cpus) on their website, possilbity of AMDs in the new portables? sweet lord please. Mobile Athlon 64 for the win.

13 Posts

December 5th, 2005 21:00

alan:

what is your deadline to replace the old systems? do you validate the new systems first?

if you have to bring in the new systems within the next 30-60 days then go with D610, otherwise wait for the D620 which should be available, like someone said, early next year.

Message Edited by gassefa on 12-05-2005 03:59 PM

38 Posts

December 6th, 2005 06:00

Thanks for all your replies so far :)

We don't have to validate them, it's just a case of ordering them up whenever requested. I guess it's all down to when the MD of the company says 'go order them now', if the 620's are out then, then we'll get them. Us as an IT dept. are trying to hold on for the 620's, as the spec will probably be quite good. However Obviously if we have to place the order late december, or throughout January, it will be 610s.. see how it goes.

thanks again!

Alan

5 Posts

December 18th, 2005 20:00

Here is what I know.  Sorry I'm not more help

620 is lighter (.5 pounds)

Smaller footprint.  Almost an inch I think

Widescreen format

Dual Core Processor

Finger Print Reader available

EV-DO or other Cellular broadband Mini-PCI card available

3 battery options (4, 6, or 9)

Available in February.

Memory speed 667 Mhz

Up to 2 gig (4gig maybe) , 4 gig for sure on the 820.

59 Posts

January 19th, 2006 06:00

This is what I know (actually saw it a couple of months ago at the Dell Tech Tour in Sweden).

To start with the I would like to say that the difference between previous D600/D610 is that D620 is much more robust. The older models felt like platic laptops with very plastic keyboard. D620 is a great improvement in this area!

What else (besides what the previous post said):
Black/grey design.
Light censor which auto-adjusts the lighting on the screen.
Backlighted keyboard (maybe available on launch, maybe later).
WLAN censor to see if there are active wireless networks.
SATA disc (not SATA2)
Battery diagnostics...

That's at least a bit more!

I need to throw out my D600 but never felt that I wanted to buy D610 because that it's thicker and so plastic. I can tell you for sure that I will order a D620 right away when it arrives!

38 Posts

January 19th, 2006 06:00

Cheers for this information, it looks like we will be ordering 620s when they come out, i've read some news articles recently that say they are scheduled for a February launch. I'll have to wait and see if this is the case.

Will be good to see what they look like when they come out,

thanks again!

Alan

8 Posts

January 20th, 2006 14:00

Any facts on D620 max memory, 2GB or 4GB?

Without these Yonah models coming I would have taken the D410. Now I can just wait, wait and wait..Too bad that we need to wait even longer for the D420 (in case the rumours are right - I don't have any real knowledge about that one). Would be nice to have some real information about these upcoming models to know whether or not they worth waiting.

59 Posts

January 20th, 2006 20:00

Nope, I never asked about the max memory.

I was also told that D420 would come 2-3 months later than D620 and D820. I expect the D620/820 to arrive in February so you can do the math yourself. :) But be advised that this is the info I got sometime in November last year, I think it was.
No Events found!