Highlighted
njb110
6 Indium

Re: New DELL XPS 15

Jump to solution

Thats interesting.  In New Zealand they dont offer the 1000n card.  The entry level is the 6200, or you can upgrade to the 6300.   Probably worth the small amount to upgrade this item.

I hope you are wrong about the display as I have ordered the 1366x768. 

Cnet has a review http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/dell-xps-15/4505-3121_7-34207711.html .  Its very complementary.  They dont critzise the 1366x768 display but  they do suggest the extra for the 1080 is worth it.

Disapointed with delivery times.  When I ordered it was estimated at 7-10 working days.  But in tracking theyb are saying extimated delivery on 6 Dec.  Thats a month.

emoticon.Indifferent.title

0 Kudos
njb110
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Thats interesting.  In New Zealand they dont offer the 1000n card.  The entry level is the 6200, or you can upgrade to the 6300.   Probably worth the small amount to upgrade this item.

I hope you are wrong about the display as I have ordered the 1366x768. 

Cnet has a review http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/dell-xps-15/4505-3121_7-34207711.html .  Its very complementary.  They dont critzise the 1366x768 display but  they do suggest the extra for the 1080 is worth it.

Disapointed with delivery times.  When I ordered it was estimated at 7-10 working days.  But in tracking theyb are saying extimated delivery on 6 Dec.  Thats a month.

emoticon.Indifferent.title

0 Kudos
njb110
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Oops - lag sorry

0 Kudos
montben
6 Indium

Jump to solution

the 720p display seems pretty bad, I wasnt expecting it as my old 1530 had a great display. I'm not sure if I can live with this or not.

on the other hand i have the 1000bgn wireless, and its been solid for the first few days, connecting to a linksys wrt54g at g speeds.

0 Kudos
Cracatoa
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

the 720p display seems pretty bad, I wasnt expecting it as my old 1530 had a great display. I'm not sure if I can live with this or not.

on the other hand i have the 1000bgn wireless, and its been solid for the first few days, connecting to a linksys wrt54g at g speeds.

I had no problems with the 1000bgn on G.  However, it couldn't do jack on an N network, although it should have been just fine on a 2.4GHz N network.  Instead, it would crash, disconnect, or run at less than 200MBit speeds most of the time.  

I just received my replacement laptop with the correct configuration (6200 and 1080p display) and I have to say it is amazingly better.  The 720p was literally hurting my eyes and causing headaches.  This 1080p is just as crisp and easy on the eyes as my old 1080p display on the M1710 I had.  The 6200 also runs amazingly better than the 1000bgn.  Everything on it actually works and I haven't experienced a single BSOD, unlike the 20 - 30 minute BSOD cycle I had constantly from the 1000bgn driver.

0 Kudos
MissCt234
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

well I posted yesterday and had it removed for "innappropriate language." I am not sure what was innappropriate exceot I said my studio XPS laptop has been nothing but trouble, Guess I cannot say more than that. But it has been one problen after another. There have been at least four service calls, ten tech help sessions, and a full replacement, and it still is having problems.

guess that;s all I better say

0 Kudos
montben
6 Indium

Jump to solution

From what Ive found while researching and doing side by side comparisons with my old xps laptop, the new xps 15 appears to have a display which uses "static dithering".  It looks awful.  Im not sure if I can download firmware or drivers to update it, but none are present in the support downloads area.  I dont think theres an option but to return it, as much as it pains me. Its really subpar but this lcd should not be sold on a higher end dell line.  It makes my eyes hurt. 

Id go back and maybe reorder one with the 1080p monitor and cross my fingers, but at this time you can no longer configure the xps 15 with that option.  The option for 8gb of ram is gone too.  I dont know what to do, I tried really hard to get the exact config i wanted 😞

0 Kudos
Cracatoa
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

From what Ive found while researching and doing side by side comparisons with my old xps laptop, the new xps 15 appears to have a display which uses "static dithering".  It looks awful.  Im not sure if I can download firmware or drivers to update it, but none are present in the support downloads area.  I dont think theres an option but to return it, as much as it pains me. Its really subpar but this lcd should not be sold on a higher end dell line.  It makes my eyes hurt. 

Id go back and maybe reorder one with the 1080p monitor and cross my fingers, but at this time you can no longer configure the xps 15 with that option.  The option for 8gb of ram is gone too.  I dont know what to do, I tried really hard to get the exact config i wanted 😞

All you can do is call and complain your head off.  If you cannot get anywhere like that, try writing the BBB about your complaints.  Fact is, the 720p display is horrible, especially for 2010.  I haven't seen a display that bad in a decade or more.

0 Kudos
njb110
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Well I received mine and I can only agree.  The 768 screen was terrible.  Not only is the quality very poor but the viewing angles are extreme.  Just fidgeting in your chair is enough movement to make the screen unviewable.  I rang and told them I would not keep it.  They agreed to take it back and I ordered the 1080 as a replacement.  Cross my fingures.  I had to pay the difference which is a pain as I would have done that in the first place if I could afford it.  But they will let me use this machine until the replacement arrives.  However indications are that this will not be until January.  Its not the most expensive laptop around but it is positioned as a premium machine.  They should not be using this screen.  There are alternative laptops that offer good value.

0 Kudos
fabbe79
1 Copper

Jump to solution

same problem with the 720p display.. worst monitor i have ever seen and now i don't kwok what to do to have it fixed...

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19355925.aspx

0 Kudos