Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 5th, 2010 10:00

New DELL XPS 15

Hello, i m about to buy the new XPS 15 (http://www.dell.com/xps) and i ve read some reviews that talked very bad about this computer.

Can someone who have already purchased it recommend me about this product? It seems great and the specs are awsome but i can´t go and see it cuz i m not in the states right now.

Thanks in advance

19 Posts

November 10th, 2010 17:00

I am not sure how worthwhile reviewa are but you can find one here http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/dell-xps-15.aspx#axzz14vssnvsO that rates this machine very highly - and this is for entry level specs.

77 Posts

November 6th, 2010 06:00

I don't think it has shipped yet.

Which reviews did you see?  Do you have any links?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 9th, 2010 05:00

The order status pages indicate the first ship dates are around the first week in December.  You may see some owners with them by mid-next month.

2 Posts

November 9th, 2010 05:00

The reviews are in the product´s page. But you are right, no one might got it yet. When do you think customers will start to receive them?

3 Posts

November 10th, 2010 06:00

I ordered mine at the beginning of Nov., and it has an expected delivery of Nov. 29th.

I ordered this computer b/c I thought it gave the biggest bang for the $$$.  It isn't perfect, but it should fit my needs.

We'll see.

6 Posts

November 10th, 2010 19:00

I actually just received mine today, and it is quite a fiasco to put it mildly.

First, it isn't even what I ordered.  The screen is the 720p and I ordered the 1080p.  I'm not even sure why the include the 720p as an option, as it is horrid.  Image quality is grainy, the edges are darkened, and the screen is just flat out painful to look at.

Second, the Function key is stuck.  I've done everything I can to try and get this fixed, but it is just stuck.  Not that it is stuck down, just that it is always enabled if I press a key with a Function available. 

Third, the wireless N (Intel 1000N) won't do wireless N.  At best it will connect at 54MBps (Wireless G), and even then it likes to disconnect quite often.

The audio quality is the one bright spot.  It really is amazing, but that's the only good thing about this machine. 

The performance is no better than the XPS1645 it replaced, not even the video card can outperform the old ATI 4670s.  Not sure why that is, but I'm going to guess that it is due to really bad driver support.  To make things worse in that department, Dell and nVidia have locked it down so that you can only install Dell provided drivers.  It sure was nice when you could go straight to nVidia with every single card before, but for some reason they've decided customer convenience isn't important.

So overall, I'd say my experience with this new XPS 15 is horrid.  I fully intend on returning it and quite possibly will not replace it with another Dell.  The customer service I've received is an entire other matter that would take far too long to explain.  It is currently well detailed in an email to michael@dell.com and will hopefully get addressed promptly.

19 Posts

November 11th, 2010 14:00

Does not sound good.  Which video card di you get.  The GT 420M is not suposed to be better than the 4670.  Its entry level.  But being more modern it should have advantages in some situaltion such as DirectX 11 games and mpeg4 decoding.  If you got the GT435 with 2Gb vram I would expect it to perform better all round than the 4670.  The reviewer in my link above rated the display as being good.  Mayby there is a problem with your dirvers as you suggest.  

6 Posts

November 12th, 2010 12:00

435M, and it clocks in ok, just not what I was expecting.

I do believe there are some immense driver issues with this machine in general.  I've been working with Dell the last several days to get it working as it should, but there are still several hurdles to jump.  

Let me make this clear:

DO NOT BUY THE 1000N WIRELESS CARD!  IT CRASHES THE MACHINE! (Yes, BSOD in Windows 7)

I've installed Dell's drivers, the newest Intel drivers, everything.  This card crashes Windows 7 in 10 - 20 minutes every single time.  Furthermore, it almost never gets Wireless N Speeds, more typically it hovers around 54MBps.  I did a little research and it appears that Acer used this same card in some of their laptops and their customers are complaining about crashes also.

So, upgrade the network card, folks!  And avoid the base monitor too, it is just horrible.

19 Posts

November 12th, 2010 14:00

Thats interesting.  In New Zealand they dont offer the 1000n card.  The entry level is the 6200, or you can upgrade to the 6300.   Probably worth the small amount to upgrade this item.

I hope you are wrong about the display as I have ordered the 1366x768. 

Cnet has a review http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/dell-xps-15/4505-3121_7-34207711.html .  Its very complementary.  They dont critzise the 1366x768 display but  they do suggest the extra for the 1080 is worth it.

Disapointed with delivery times.  When I ordered it was estimated at 7-10 working days.  But in tracking theyb are saying extimated delivery on 6 Dec.  Thats a month.

:emotion-8:

19 Posts

Thats interesting.  In New Zealand they dont offer the 1000n card.  The entry level is the 6200, or you can upgrade to the 6300.   Probably worth the small amount to upgrade this item.

Cnet has a review http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/dell-xps-15/4505-3121_7-34207711.html .  Its very complementary.  They dont critzise the 1366x768 display but  they do suggest the extra for the 1080 is worth it.

Disapointed with delivery times.  When I ordered it was estimated at 7-10 working days.  But in tracking theyb are saying extimated delivery on 6 Dec.  Thats a month.

19 Posts

19 Posts

Oops - lag sorry

7 Posts

November 30th, 2010 16:00

the 720p display seems pretty bad, I wasnt expecting it as my old 1530 had a great display. I'm not sure if I can live with this or not.

on the other hand i have the 1000bgn wireless, and its been solid for the first few days, connecting to a linksys wrt54g at g speeds.

6 Posts

November 30th, 2010 23:00

the 720p display seems pretty bad, I wasnt expecting it as my old 1530 had a great display. I'm not sure if I can live with this or not.

on the other hand i have the 1000bgn wireless, and its been solid for the first few days, connecting to a linksys wrt54g at g speeds.

I had no problems with the 1000bgn on G.  However, it couldn't do jack on an N network, although it should have been just fine on a 2.4GHz N network.  Instead, it would crash, disconnect, or run at less than 200MBit speeds most of the time.  

I just received my replacement laptop with the correct configuration (6200 and 1080p display) and I have to say it is amazingly better.  The 720p was literally hurting my eyes and causing headaches.  This 1080p is just as crisp and easy on the eyes as my old 1080p display on the M1710 I had.  The 6200 also runs amazingly better than the 1000bgn.  Everything on it actually works and I haven't experienced a single BSOD, unlike the 20 - 30 minute BSOD cycle I had constantly from the 1000bgn driver.

5 Posts

December 1st, 2010 14:00

well I posted yesterday and had it removed for "innappropriate language." I am not sure what was innappropriate exceot I said my studio XPS laptop has been nothing but trouble, Guess I cannot say more than that. But it has been one problen after another. There have been at least four service calls, ten tech help sessions, and a full replacement, and it still is having problems.

guess that;s all I better say

No Events found!