Not applicable

Re: New DELL XPS 15

Jump to solution

I just received my XPS 15 (L501X) with the 720p display panel, and it really sucks!  The color is washed out and has an overly blue appearance / poor contrast.

I tried contacting tech support if I could get a replacement panel, but they wouldn't acknowledge it was bad.  They merely said it was to the specification of what I ordered, and if I didn't like it, I could return it.  I'd love to just upgrade to the 1080p panel, but those aren't in stock.  Since tech support wouldn't acknowledge there was an issue, it looks like I'll have to pay the 15% restocking fee, which I'm not looking forward to.

It stinks that my 'upgraded' XPS computer has a poorer display than my old Inspiron 600m laptop that I purchased 5 years ago.

If anyone from Dell reads this, I'd appreciate some help, because I haven't received any from the 1 hour phone call and 5 different support reps from today.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
njb110
6 Indium

Jump to solution

You can get the 1080 screen- you just have to wait for Dell to build one for you - about six weeks.  In the mean time u can use the machine u received.  This is what I did and i have recently received the new machine.  I still have the old one.  My contract had a 15 day right of return - no stocking fee. 

The 1080 screen is brilliant.  I wonder if there was a faulty batch of the 720 screens or if this is a marketing ploy to sell the more expensive full HD screens.  The viewing angle on mine was so critical that you could not sit next to someone using it and see what they were doing. 

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

How do you get Dell to build you a 1080p model when this option isn't available on the site?  Do you just call their ordering dept and have them do it for you?

Also, were they the ones that authorized a no-restocking fee return on the prior laptop?  While 6 weeks is a fair amount of time to wait, I'd rather do that than be stuck with something I know I'll dislike for the next couple of years.

0 Kudos
njb110
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Sorry - I should have mentioned that I purchased from Dell New Zealand.  The - FHD (1920x1080) B+RGLED display with TrueLife™ [add $258.75] - option is available here on any of the XOS 15 laptops.  (That’s about plus $US190 including 15% tax).  It seems kind weird that we have this option and you don’t (I presume you are in the USA).  I assume from the long delivery times that production is under  pressure.

Maybe our returns policy is different also.  I just rang the phone number for Returns at the web site and said that the picture was unacceptable and I would not accept the machine.  We then agreed that I would pay the extra and get a replacement with the full HD screen.  There was no charge for freight (both ways) or re-stocking and I got to keep the original until the replacement arrived.  I asked how long it would take considering how long it took for the first order to arrive and they said 5-7 days but that must be a stock phrase.  That probably does not help you but since they are producing the screen somewhere why not ring them and negotiate. 

0 Kudos
njb110
6 Indium

Jump to solution

XPS 15

0 Kudos
aacerx
1 Copper

Jump to solution

i tink good laptop.  driverswin.com/dell-xps-15z-l511z-drivers-win7 new driver best performance

0 Kudos