Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2009 08:00

New Dell 1737 and not good sound at movies

I got my new 1737 just 2 weeks ago and everything runs fine.

My only problem is that when I watch a Divx movie and I increase the volume at 3/4 of the total power, I got a very bad sound from my speakers.

Is it a driver problem or the speakers are so bad that they cannot play well at high volume?

3.6K Posts

May 27th, 2009 10:00

The problem is there is no sub woofer on the system.I had a 1737 system exchange a month ago(which i did not keep) because it was a downgrade in certain areas of my system which is fixed now.But to the point,i managed to get Sound Blaster Audigy Advanced HD installed on it and the sound was a little above what it came with,but still not what i was used to on my E1705.These systems are shipped out with too much treble(no sub) and no base at all,and the positioning of the speakers do not help either.Now granted notebook speakers are not supposed to be great but should sound better than they do.

3.6K Posts

May 28th, 2009 06:00

You can try a different driver,or should say,(MOD driver),but i do not think it would work.I would suggest as my previous post said,if you choose to,it is only a $25.00 charge for the Sound Blaster Advanced Audigy HD software disk upgrade.You can buy thru dell,or creative.This adds better sound and it trys to ACT like there is SOME bass in the speakers.While this route is inexpensive,it is still NOT 100% on the sound it is more of a 30% increase to the sound.The other thing is the position of the speakers which i dought anything can be done,and the size of these small speakers.

Other than that,i am afraid i can't be of more help with this.EDIT:You might also try Uninstalling the driver that came with this system and letting microsoft updates install its sound driver?...

3 Posts

May 28th, 2009 06:00

So, in your opinion does it worth to try other drivers or should I leave that as it is and try different settings in sound panel?

3 Posts

June 2nd, 2009 08:00

So, this Sound Blaster® Audigy™ HD Software is some kind of other driver?

And you must pay for this driver?

3.6K Posts

June 2nd, 2009 09:00

No,it is a software disk upgrade to the sound.Dell,or creative(whichever you prefer) will send you the dsik for $25.00.This does improve the sound from the factory but as i said in first reply,it is not much better.But helps.

1 Message

September 11th, 2012 16:00

I know this is an old thread, but I've found some help on the horrible Studio 1737 sound. Make sure you do the mods found in the forums, 1; increase clearance over stock speakers by grinding or machining the plastic over the speakers. 2; remove the Dell IDT drivers and let Windows install drivers, this is an improvement, at least for volume, then find an ACER ASPIRE 5920 series sub-woofer on Ebay now ($3.96 shipped). This sub has a built in amplifier. This mod is a little complex, but if you can solder and have a basic understanding of your motherboard, it's easy. I wasn't using the spare HDD bay so I put the sub in there, cut a hole in the bottom access cover for the sound to get out. Wiring the Acer sub is easy; RED wire: this gets +5v dc, this power is available just to the right of the main speaker connector on the top side of the motherboard at a capacitor pad (capacitor not installed). The BLACK wire goes to ground, also just to the right of the main speaker connector,( the other pad for the missing capacitor) or anywhere else you can grab a ground from. The ORANGE wire is for +Right input signal, just tap into one of the factory speaker +wires (not black, those are negatives). YELLOW is for Left input signal, I just tied YELLOW to ORANGE since left and right don't matter much with bass frequencies. The BROWN wire is for mute, tie this to ground (BLACK wire of sub).  No speaker ground is needed. I used an old USB cable for extension wires, and fed this to the top of mobo, for hook up to speaker signal, +5v and ground. The sub can be found here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Aspire-5920-Series-Laptop-Speaker-Subwoofer-/120695952627?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1a0a14f3#ht_5068wt_1111

I know this is pretty involved and should have never been required in the first place, but I was replacing an Inspiron E1705 that spoiled me with it's sound, and I could not stand the sound of the Studio 1737; what was Dell thinking! Sorry I didn't take any pictures. 

No Events found!