jylee05
1 Copper

Re: New Dell XPS 13 Fan Noise is ridiculous!

Same problem, BIOS A01

0 Kudos
moowear
1 Copper

Same Problem here. I've been reading a bit about it and understand there is a new bios floating around...A02. Has anyone tried this? On a similar note though, the fan sometimes seem like it would go full bore even when the lid is closed. Anyone experience this as well?

0 Kudos
moowear
1 Copper

And on that note, whereabouts can one obtain this new bios A02? It doesn't seem to be listed in the downloads section for this laptop. This is a nice laptop but the random starting up of the fans is getting a bit annoying. Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos

The A02 version of the BIOS is now available from support.dell.com

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

If you have not installed it yet on your notebooks please do so.  Please report back here if the BIOS rev helps with the amount of noise the fans on the system is making.

If even after updating to A02 you notice that fan noise is still louder than normal for a notebook try this test.

Click start, search and search for msconfig. Run msconfig and click the services tab, check "hide all Microsoft" services and then click "disable all". Click the startup tab and click "disable all" then click OK and allow the notebook to restart.

Once the system reboots please test and reply back if the fans are any quieter or not.

After testing please return to msconfig and click "normal startup" then click OK and allow the system to reboot to return the notebook to normal.

I am interested in finding out if the software load on the notebook makes a difference with fan noise or not.

Thanks

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
YoSoyFiesta
1 Copper

Well, isn't that special. I did *NOT* have a problem with fan noise, and with the new A02 bios, my previously quiet XPS 13 now sounds like a vacuum cleaner. Palm slap. Why oh why update a perfectly good laptop?

0 Kudos
YoSoyFiesta
1 Copper

I don't suppose there is an easy way to roll back to A01? A link would be appreciated if its as simple as downloading A01.. can't seem to find it.

EDITED: False alarm. Perhaps it was upgrading a bunch of drivers and the BIOS that got the system a little hot. After letting it rest, the behavior is back to normal. With both A01 and A02, the I5/256GB XPS 13z fan does not noticeably run when CPU loads are close to idle, and steps up as I would expect it to under heavier loads.

0 Kudos

I don’t suggest rolling back the BIOS to A01.  I do suggest testing to see if disabling the start up and services group to check to see if it makes any difference at all with the level of fan activity and noise.  Please give it a go and report back if there were any changes.   If the problem continues please shoot me a private message, just click on my signature and click send message.  Please include the service tag and your shipping info in your message.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
YoSoyFiesta
1 Copper

Thanks Terry. I did shut down the optional services as you suggested using msconfig, but it had no effect. Before doing so I verified the system was quiet (no downloads in progress, cpu near 0% busy). for the record, the services are now back to where they were when the system was shipped.

The sequence of events was as follows;

System working fine, fan almost never comes on.

Update BIOS to A02, restart

Fan runs higher than I have ever heard it.

Posted my initial message here noting the fan running at very high speeds.

Taskmanager shows CPU idle

run msconfig and disable non-ms services, restart (not expecting a positive result as there was no load)

No change, fan still running at high speed.

Update all drivers available for download

Fan running hard, no change.

Turned off the system and left it alone for 15 minutes or so.

Start system, Fan was quiet (off) for some time.

By the end of me typing this message, the fan is back on albeit at a low speed.

So, in summary, before I started this process, my fan never ran unless there was a heavy CPU load.

After the upgrade to A02, the "new normal" at idle load is the fan running at a relatively low speed.

-Bernie

XPS 13z I5, 256GB

0 Kudos
vAusTek
2 Bronze

So far for me A02 has been an improvement. I have not heard the high speed whine that I was getting. I do get the low speed a little more, but that one I can deal with. Seems to be a much smoother experience so far, albeit not perfect.

Clint Eschberger

CIO - World Entrepreneurs Network

0 Kudos
PrakG
1 Copper

Same problem, just got a new xps 13 and the fan constantly runs and its quite annoying.  Another problem is the RIGHT direction key on the keyboard; if i barely put my finger on it then it triggers; seems way to over-sensitive; no other keys have this problem (I am not pushing down on the key- just barely resting the finger on it).

Ive updated to A02 bios and it still did not fix the problem. I've also reformatted the computer and used a stock vanilla Windows 7 64-bit disc.  Installed all the dell drivers and no hardware drivers are missing in device manager so everythign is 100% installed.  Still the same issue; the fan constantly runs and is quite annoying.

Also have a macbook air and its dead silent.

You have a really good laptop here but the constant fan noise likely means I will be returning the laptop.

0 Kudos