Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2011 17:00

New Dell XPS 14z (L412Z) Wireless Card Issues

Hi all,

I've waited and purchase the XPS 14z as soon as it came out. To my disappointment I have struggled with wireless connectivity since. I found comments about a similar problem with the XPS 15z. but not much about the 14z (beside a couple of post in the Review section of the Dell website).

From the same location, my four+ year old XPS M1210 has consistently 3 bars of better signal than the 14z. The same happens at work beside my Vostro 1720.

Furthermore the 14z connection is unstable and drop off randomly, effectively making it impossible to use for internet unless I sit close to my router (which is not in by my home desk).

Dell sent out techinicians twice. The first time to replace the wifi card, the second time to replace the wifi (again a 6230) and the antenna (which involves taking the all system apart and replace the screen at the same time).

Now Dell is going to replace the system with a new one, but by the sound of things, it's going to be just the same.

Is there any official source where Dell aknowlodges that there is a problem with their choice of hardware/software configuration; and that they are going to do something about it?

Are there known solutions out there already?

Regards to all

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

October 24th, 2012 13:00

MariusXPS14

I may be able to help.  Shoot me a private message, just click on the link in my signature and then click start conversation.  In the message please include the service tag of the notebook, your name, address, phone number and an email address and I will be happy to research service options.

TB

I can see they just released new drivers for the wifi card today but I can't download them. Same for the new BIOS

They replaced the LCD screen which carries the antennas and the WIFI card. Still the same.

8 Posts

When did you have your screen replaced? Apparently, the screen that I got replaced last week was a different design from the original XPS14z screen.

27 Posts

October 24th, 2012 14:00

what is the version for wifi driver ? bcz i am using 15.2 and i think that is latest from last few weeks. and what is the new bios version ?

November 7th, 2012 05:00

After endless discussions with technical service, and four reparations, they have finally fixed the problem by changing my WIFI card to an Atheros DW1901.

But anyways, it is unacceptable that this should happen in a brand new high range laptop.

3 Posts

November 7th, 2012 10:00

I also have an XPS14z (since the end of november 2012), and have the same problems.

During all these months I thought it was only a problem in my house because of my router, but now I'm sure it is a problem of this computer.(some others are working fine)

I tried last week to desinstal and reinstall all the network drivers, and turn everything to the maximum. But the problem isn't solved.

During the last month, It seems to be woth and worth. The wifi network stops every 2 minutes. It is unusable.

I don't know what to do, and my 1 year waranty will end in a few days.

Does anyone realy solve his problem ?

November 7th, 2012 11:00

Call technical support and tell them the problem you have. Tell them also to replace your wifi card with the Atheros DW 1901, which is Atheros equivalent of Intel's 6235.

Like I said on the previous post that was the only thing that solved the problem for me.

3 Posts

November 8th, 2012 10:00

I called them, and the told me to install the last drivers (just arrived this morning).

Now it seems to work better. I'll tell you in a week if it is good or not.

2 Posts

November 21st, 2012 00:00

Dear  didou30, do you have the link to download the new driver for Wifi 14z that you mentioned above?

3 Posts

November 21st, 2012 11:00

just go to the dell support, desinstall et re-install the drivers, it should work

8 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 06:00

Yesterday I downloaded and installed the latest Intel driver (Nov 15th 2012), it improved the connection significantly. I didn't have any disconnect so far. Will tell you more after 1 week.

Here is the link where you can find the downloads:

downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx*&DownloadType=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09Software%20Applications%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09

It's for both the N-6230 and N-6235, window 7 (32 or 64 bit). Choose the file carefully before you download.

Make sure you remove all the previous Proset software using Windows Installer cleanup. Restart in Safemode, completely delete the C:\Programs\Intel\Wireless and Wifi and Bluetooth folders. Then restart normally and install the new software.

I also have a bit of problem with the registry. (Cannot open KEY Unknown/components).  After follow this instruction to modify 'permission' from of the Registry (do it at your own risk..), it went OK. www.okino.com/.../changing_windows_registry_permissions.htm

Hope this helps :)

2 Posts

December 6th, 2012 15:00

I am also having a real nightmare on this same model.  WiFi "worked" but with the dropout issues noted here even with the latest drivers from Dell.  I tried the latest Intel drivers (15.#.#) and I then got a Network Adapter Not Found error in the Intel My WiFi Technology app (V15.#.#).  So, I removed the drivers and app, went into safe mode and deleted the associated folders.  Next, after a re-boot to normal, I re-installed the original release Dell drivers and utility just to try to get back on track.  Same result.  I then updated to the latest Dell drivers and utility again with the same results.  The odd thing is that the card shows up in Device Manager and it says it's "working properly".  No wireless.  Win7 just says a possible problem with the driver, but it's the latest approved one from Dell and it used to work!

I have been on this task all day to try to revive this unit to at least some version of Dell driver that will wake this thing up.  I hope to not have to do some sort of re-install.  I just want to even get back to the original state of wireless there but dropping out at this point.

Please help!  Thanks.

January 14th, 2013 15:00

I have had the exact same problem! Ive gotten my wifi adapter replaced and my CDDVD optical drive replaced(differernt issue). 

When the guy was here he said that he has noticed that the XPS 14z has had wifi issues, that it is strange that Dell hasn't done much about it. Since the replacement didnt help they are coming in a few days to replace the Antenna, Motherboard (bad performance, false advertisement), and the trackpad(it randomly stops working).

I asked for a different laptop. They said they can't do that. In all honesty I feel scammed. 

8 Posts

January 14th, 2013 16:00

Just got mine back from a visit to Dell for a new wireless card. Enormously inconvenient in lost work time and productivity. Plus they wiped my hard drive, so now I have to reinstall everything.  That was AFTER doing all the other recommended fixes.

IT STILL WORKS VERY BADLY! I can use wifi on another laptop where this one gets NO signal. They say it is "fixed".

I don't know what to do now.I have no budget for another, and this one is useless in a lot of places I need to work.

DELL --WHERE ARE YOU ON THIS?

No Events found!