Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

41 Posts

October 20th, 2008 23:00

New Dell XPS 1530 Power Supply Problem

Just unboxed my new laptop.  Turned it on and set it up on battery.  Plugged it in a bout 10 minutes later and did a reboot.  Got an error message that stated AC power supply cannot be recognized and that the battery may not be recharged; says also to plug a 65W power supply or more. I have the 90w adapter. 

The machine "brightens up" when I plug it in and when I unplug it dims.  It is also showing it's connected to ac power and being charged via the software on the taskbar.

I did contact dell and they said it was the adapter and would be sending a new one.  Question is, why is this happening with a brand new  machine?

Really curious to know this.

Thanks!

5.2K Posts

October 21st, 2008 00:00

There is a signal provided by the adaptor to the computer indicating what adaptor is being used. The signal goes through a small wire in the center of the adaptor plug. If the signal is nor received, you get this message. It appears everything is OK with your M1530, so the adaptor is defective. Could be that the wire is bent or broken. Look into the end of the plug and see.

41 Posts

October 21st, 2008 02:00

Everything seems intact. It's weird.  Everything works and shows that it is charging when plugged in.  Also the battery does charge.  I ran it down and it's juicing back up just fine.  Strange.  I will see if the new adapter fixes it.  If so, great.

5.2K Posts

October 21st, 2008 02:00

Could have been a one-off glitch, but keep an eye on it.

1 Message

October 21st, 2008 03:00

i'm having the same problem with my XPS M170. when i turn it on it does not recognize the adapter. we got a new one and that worked fine for about 5 months then died. we got another new one and the comp does not recognize that adapter we took that back and got a replacement and that one does the same thing. i tried a adapter i have for another dell comp and it recognized that it was only 65 watts where i need at least 130. i checked the wire mentioned in this post in the plug and it looks fine. when i do plug the original adapter the screen gets brighter and it does seem to charge. could it be just not putting out enough watts. the last 2 replacement adapters that i just got are "aftermarket" cheep adapters.

41 Posts

October 21st, 2008 14:00

Thanks all for the info.  I will see what happens when the new adapter gets here.  I did check the middle wire and its there.  It seems to be only half the length of the outer cover if that make sense?  It's not the full length of the plug.

I did run it down to 50% and it charged it back up to full.  Bios showed it was attached and charging, just "unknown".

5.2K Posts

October 21st, 2008 20:00

Cheap aftermarket adaptors will probably not have the adaptor ID circuit unless they are "genuine" Dell, so they may work while giving the warning.

As long as the badaptor charges the battery, you should be OK. My daughter's I6000 gets the warning, but will not recharge the battery unless the adaptor plug is just right in the socket. I think this is a problem with the socket connection on the system board, which needs to be resoldered.

1 Message

October 22nd, 2008 01:00

Had the same problem, I updated the bios and the problem was solved.

73 Posts

October 22nd, 2008 09:00

I have the same problem, except mine began after updating the BIOS to A09.  Personally I don't worry about it, I either go into the BIOS section dealing with the PS and plug/unplug it until it reads correctly or I just let it boot into Vista.

41 Posts

October 23rd, 2008 15:00

New adapter arrived yesterday.  Seems to be a different design as the label is different.  The dell logo at the top of the label is to the left (old one is in the middle).  New adapter is A01 revision.  The old one is A04. 

Anyway, the new adapter works.  No more issues!  Thanks Dell :)

41 Posts

October 27th, 2008 02:00

Today, I had the same message come up again.  Not sure why, but after removing the battery and restarting the machine the problem went away.  What is going on?  Why is this message back again?  I thought it was the adapter?

October 28th, 2008 01:00

Hi, let me share my experience.  I bought an XPS M1530 and received it two weeks ago.  Shortly after I got it, I got the same power-on problem described in this thread, where the boot-up process didn't recognize the adapte -- press F1 to continue anyway.  Yesterday, I worked with Dell Support and they reinstalled the A09 BIOS on my laptop -- even though it came with the A09 version.  Strangely, the power-on problem stopped occuring...until it occurred again today, one day later. 

I can't tell any rhyme or reason as to why I'm getting this problem.  In all other respects, the performance and functions of this XPS M1530 are fine -- it's just this nagging non-recognition of the power adapter problem that is causing me irritation (you spend a lot of $$$ to buy an XPS laptop, it oughta work perfectly right out of the box, right?).

So, back to Dell Support I go....

41 Posts

October 28th, 2008 21:00

I hear ya.  I reinstalled the A09 bios as well (even though it was already on there) just to see if it was corrupt or something.  Didn't seem to do anything.  I started the machine up several times today and NO power adapter warnings.  I find this very strange.  Wish I knew what the problem was.

October 29th, 2008 00:00

Well, do post back after a few days to tell whether or not the power adapter recognition problem is still occurring or not.  For me, I probably rebooted and resumed the operating system maybe 12 or 15 times before the problem mysteriously resurfaced, and once it resurfaced, it was there to stay.

Since I don't see a ton of Internet noise on this issue, I have to believe that this is an anomoly, not the norm for XPS laptops.  I'm certainly hoping so.

I called Dell Support and am making arrangements to have a new laptop sent in full replacement of the one I've got.  Since it's just two weeks old, it just doesn't make sense to accept something that isn't working perfectly right out of the box.  I'd be agreeable to having the motherboard swapped out if it were beyond the 21-day return window (one of the options that Dell Support offered to me), but even that introduces new risk to the laptop if the technician isn't skilled at replacing a motherboard. 

I really do like the XPS laptop -- as much as you can like any laptop, anyway -- and would like to stay with the Dell brand just because all my other equipment is Dell, and it's not to manage my support services from one manufacturer's website.

41 Posts

October 31st, 2008 01:00

Totally agree with your post there.  The techs wanted to swap motherboards and I said no way.  Laptop is only 10 days old, how about you send a new laptop instead.  Waiting for it to get here.

However, oddly enough - the laptop has no longer given me any power adapter errors.  Makes no sense to me.  Boots up fine and without issue.  Totally clueless on this one.

I wish someone at dell would let us know what the real scoop is.

October 31st, 2008 04:00

Wow, that's just what I'm experiencing!  After reflashing the BIOS, the power adapter recognition problem went away.  Then, it started happening again, every time I booted with the power on.  But then, the last time I booted up with the power cord attached, it booted normally -- no weird error message.  STRANGE!

My guess is that it's a problem with the BIOS version and certain configurations of the XPS.  Hard to say, what, exactly, is the common denominator that links the laptops to the problem.  I'm guessing Dell is working to figure that one out, too.  I don't know whether or not a replacement laptop will have the same issue as the one on my lap has, but, who knows?  Maybe Dell used a different part on the replacement laptop and all will be fine.

One thing -- I went around in circles the last few days to secure a dispatch for a replacement laptop.  Tech Support sent me to Customer Care, Customer Care was closed so I created a webform, got an auto-reply back that said nothing, replied to get a personal response, got that response, Customer Care said go talk to Tech Support about getting a replacement laptop!  Called Tech Support, they said go talk to Customer Care.  Called Customer Care, they said, no, they can't do that, go talk to Tech Support.  Called Tech Support and, finally, got a dispatch.  I wonder if Michael Dell ever orders a laptop from his own company?  It'd do him a lot of good to do that sometime, just to get the "Dell experience."

No Events found!