Highlighted
2 Iron

New Dell XPS 15z (L511z) Wireless Card Issues

Hello All! I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15z with the L511z configuration which includes a Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230. The new Laptop is a true wonder and the best by far on the 15" market, especially with the nVidia GeForce GT 525M 2G.

The problem i am having is with wireless. When connected to the router there are no issues what so ever with speed when browsing the Internet or playing World of Warcraft, however, unplug and fall into the dread of slow latency and unforgiving torture.

Has anyone found a resolution. I do understand that when you are plugged in it is much better reception, however, being no dummy I still have my old laptop and my wife's which are HP and have no issues what so ever with wireless.

0 Kudos
839 Replies
Highlighted
DellEMC

Re: New Dell XPS 15z (L511z) Wireless Card Issues

This may be a PSP incompatibility with your router.  I would check with your router manufacturer and see if they have any new updates.  Here is an link from Intel with more info.

www.intel.com/.../cs-006205.htm

Symptom(s):

The following symptoms may be seen if a Wi-Fi access point (AP) or broadband Wi-Fi router does not properly support the Power Save Polling (PSP) feature:

Intermittent loss of Wi-Fi connection

Inability to initiate a Wi-Fi connection

Poor Wi-Fi connection data performance

These symptoms may be more pronounced when on battery power.

Cause:

PSP mode is a feature that provides extended battery life for notebook computers. It requires coordination between the AP or router and the Wi-Fi adapter. Intel has discovered that some APs or routers may not implement the feature correctly or completely.

Solution:

Contact the AP or router vendor for updated software or firmware that corrects the problem.

The lnk goes on to mention some work arounds, disabling the PSP feature.

Use Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility to Set CAM

Click Advanced > Adapter Settings > Advanced tab.

Select Power Management and uncheck Default / Auto and move the slider to Highest / Maximum Performance.

If the slider is already at Highest / Maximum Performance, move the slider to another setting and then back to Highest / Maximum Performance.

Use Network Control Panel Applet (NCPA) to Set CAM

Put the wireless adapter into Continuously Aware Mode using the following steps.

Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.

Double-click Network Connections.

Right-click the wireless connection and click Properties.

Click Configure.

Click the Advanced tab.

Select the Power Management setting, uncheck Default / Auto and move the slider to Highest / Maximum Performance. Note: If the slider is already at Highest / Maximum Performance, move the slider to another setting and then back to Highest / Maximum Performance.

Please let me know if this helps.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

This did not resolve the problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

I also purchased a Citrix USB wireless n card and can connect. It set me back 50 bucks but at least I have wireless dell and intel were no help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Just bought the 15Z. Nice in every way but the wireless connection. I have it next to my older Dell 1720, and it shows a connection speed of 54Mb/s in the wireless status panel and the NEW 15Z shows from 5-11 Mb/s. I played around with various wireless settings for a whole day. Giving up. I think the wireless should work out of the box! I would not purchase another of these without a change to the wireless card.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DellEMC

LMGuadagna

Are you noticing any different with wireless performance if using battery or AC adapter?  Is the connection dropping out, other than what is shows in the wireless status panel, are you able to bring up websites, and how is internet performance?

Try this and see if it helps at all.  Open device manager, click start, right click on "computer" and choose properties, then click the device manager link on the left column.  You can also click start, click control panel and open system properties and click the device manager link on the left.  

Once in device manager open network devices and find the wireless adapter.  Double-click it to bring up properties and click on the Power Management tab and make sure that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is not checked then click OK.

If the problem continues, download the Centrino driver from the following link. Uninstall the Centrino driver, reboot the system and then install the newly downloaded driver and see if it helps.

Please let me know if these steps help at all.

Thank you

TB

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Terry thanks for your suggestion and yes I have tried the above I have even plugged the power supplu in my ear and it has not helped. In my basic opinion it it either the intel card itself or the software. I do not know if this issue has effected anyone else, with the laptop new on the market I have not heard of it being an issue with the same configuration and I don't believe I am the only one, however I did upgrade the card itself on the configurator upon order.

I honostly think that by downgrading the card to the lower end will fix my problem. XPS Support has been no help so far...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

You got that right LMG. Dell even told me to contact my wireless provider to tell them to upgrade the firmware on my box. They told me to get another laptop.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hello Terry,

Thank you for your suggestions, however none of the above (as reported by others) works.

I just bought a dell xps 15z upgrading my inspiron 1720

It seems the issue mostly happens when running on battery.

When using power adapter the issue is not so disturbing, but still the latency and bandwidth are inferior when compared to any other laptop / computer / device (I tested this on 4 different laptops, 2 mobile phones and an ipad, all work much better than the XPS 15z!!)

When running on battery the laptop is nearly unusable, I can't even run the speedtest.net it fails to load.

I have unchecked the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and did not make any difference

I have also downloaded the above driver, uninstalled, rebooted, and installed again, no difference whatsoever

What does this mean: "Use Network Control Panel Applet (NCPA) to Set CAM"?

I am quite shocked by the terrible quality of the wireless network card on a $1500 laptop.

I can't use the laptop on battery, this is extremely disappointing.

DELL please provide a working solution.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DellEMC

So just to make sure that I understand the issue, both of you have tried multiple routers and the performance doesn't change.  If you have not tried multiple routers, you have contacted the router manufacturer and updated its firmware if they had updates for Intel PSP or no firmware updates was available.  That the wireless works better under AC power than under battery. Changing Intel Proset power management settings to maximum performance didn’t help.  Making sure that the system wasn't cutting power to the wireless card in device manager didn’t help either.  Uninstalling / reinstalling the network driver haven’t helped either.

If this is correct, I am sorry, I know that this must be frustrating, I am trying to help though. Just to make sure that there isn't software conflicting somehow has either of you tried the connection in safemode with networking? Start the system while tapping F8 and select safemode with networking from the menu.  Hop online and try both under battery and under AC adapter and check if there is any difference in performance.  

Other than that the only thing I can suggest is replacing the wireless card.  Shoot me a private message with the service tags of the systems, your shipping and email address, phone number and I will look into getting the wireless cards replaced.

TB

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hello Terry

Thank you for your prompt reply for your efforts in trying to resolve the issue, I do appreciate.

I have tried the laptop with 2 different routers so far,

One the provider wireless router which works very well with all devices and has latest firmware.

the other one is the following:

www.buffalotech.com/.../airstation-high-power-n300-gigabit-wireless-router-ap-wzr-hp-g300nh

It's been updated to the latest firmware available. I have contacted the 24/7 buffalo phone support (which is great by the way) and they don't know what to do about this issue.

As I said I tried several other devices and the only one experiencing extremely poor wireless connectivity is the XPS 15z.

I can confirm the card does work better with AC power.

I have not found any way to change the Intel Pro Wireless settings, in my start menu before and after re-installing I can only find the following:

Intel(R) My WiFi Technology

WiFi Advanced Statistics

WiFi Event Viewer

WiFi Manual Diagnostics

I opened all of the above and there are no settings about "power management settings to maximum performance"

I did however check the advanced tab of the wireless network card under the device manager and tx power is set to maximum changing does not help.

I will now try safe mode and report back, however I must say it's rather strange that of all devices and routers tried the only issue is consistently happening ONLY on the XPS 15z

By the way I am traveling outside of the USA, if the only option is to replace the card, would it be an option to give you an address in italy?

Thanks for all your help.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

i heve this problem even when the laptop is plugged in

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

the problem is not the router or anything to do with our stuff its the dell intel card or its the software from intel.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Right now i am also experiencing issues with the AC adapter.

Terry or someone at Dell could please provide a working solution?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

My XPS 15z is totally unusable.

After re intalling the drivers posted by Terry above i am experincing conyinuous issues with power settings and the wireless card has started malfunctioning on AC power too.

I would appreciate if DELL could offer a sokution since we spent $1500 on a laptop that does not work.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Having exactly the same issue with both i7 and i5 versions of this laptop. Very slow and unstable connection (<10Kb/s). I've taken the steps outlined in the above responses and this has made no difference.This occurs with a variety of home and enterprise routers that are know to be fully functional and up to date. Looks like this is a widespread issue. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

All you have to do is go out and purchase a USB Wireless Modem and Install it. Problem solved. Make sure you turn off the one that came with your new dell. You also have to burn one of your only two USB plugs.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

I am sorry to say that is not a solution but a band-aid. You purchase a product and expect it to work. I have the same wireless card in a 15z laptop and have no wireless problems....so I expect its router problems that appear to be quite widespread. Lets hope Dell/Intel can come up with a software solution very soon!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Same deal, purchased on 16th, no wireless internet right out of the box. Very dissapointed in this, I paid 1500 dollars. Techinical support has no solution, I spent an hour on the phone and was told I might try waiting for a new bios or they could send a tech to replace my motherboard! Being returned Monday for refund of my money. It's a shame because its a really beautiful computer but to be cheap on the wireless card??? Not cool Dell, I am considering an HP now. For the guy that suggested a USB modem thats pretty lame.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Oh I forgot to mention its not anyones router it is the wireless card on the motherboard!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

An update to the most recent Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 ProSet drivers seems to have done the trick for me. Now have fast and stable connection on battery using drivers directly from the Intel Download Center. Drivers dated 6/6/2011

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I just hang up the phone with DELL

On tuesday they will send a technician to replace the card, let's see how that goes. Maybe we don't all have the same issue on this thread because I also tried the latest drivers from Intel found here:

downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx

as stated by cbowers but it didn't help at all, I suspect we are all experiencing a combination of hardware / software issues

What's clear is that DELL MESSED UP, really shame.

I would invite everyone who has issues with wireless to report here at least DELL can become aware of the issue and hopefully take action, maybe replace with a better card.

I hope this helps everyone

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Listen this is the best 15" monitor you that money out there. Give some credit to dell its not their flat its Intel's. Also they will fix it when they figure it out. I started this thread and I'm trying to offer suggestions, not to lambast the mfr like you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

SHORT STORY- Try this link to load latest Intel N6230 driver, it made a marked improvement. Thnx to "CBOWERS". Pls Note the INTEL Wizard incorrectly identifies the 14.0.1 as the latest driver, which it is not.

Install states Driver Rev 14.0.1.1 (which is also not right either, 14.1.1.3 actual in this package)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20116&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%...

LONG STORY -

I like Dell, it's not really the Dell OEM failure because Intel has dropped a driver fiasco into their lap. The WiFi N6230 connect has the potential of being a true debacle, and Dell shipped S/W image should be updated to the following immediately, and a clear resolution identified and published. Intel's driver S/W downloads HTML website has a couple errors, just to add more confusion to an already fubar scenario. However, Terry (Dell) - though your aim is true, before pointing at routers, you should replicate the problem and verify the solution, rather than sending end users down an incorrect time-waster path. Issue has been identified with multiple 15Z machines on multiple routers, it's not the router here.

NOTE: Intel install wizard does not identify the latest driver correctly (bozos).

Before update, very slow, unstable connects w/ driver 14.0.1 on N6230.

Tested multiple routers & WiFi locations.

After14.1.1.3 update -

Speedtest.net & Intel Adapter reported 802.11 speeds to Linksys WRT54g Rev6 router;

XPS 15Z Win7 N6230 : 2.19Mbps/0.43Mbps (802.11 48Mbps connect), Versus,

E4300 XP 5100AGN : 2.1 Mbps/0.43Mbps (54Mbps connect)

After install of package below, driver reads 14.1.1.3 of 5/2011

(right click - computer, props, device mngr)

Two options, I installed / tested full 44mb package, Driver with ProSet S/W:

DRIVER ONLY : ICS_Ds64.zip - this is a compressed package which includes all files required to install the wireless adpter drivers only. The ZIP package allows you to extract the drivers for installation on multiple systems.

DRIVER AND S/W : ICS_s64.zip - this is a compressed package which includes all files required to install the wireless adapter drivers and PROSet/Wireless Software on a Windows 7 64-Bit system. The ZIP package allows you to extract the drivers and software for installation on multiple systems.

Advanced-N 6230 intel download, root support HTML link.

INTEL  WIZARD - BLAH hah!

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/wireless

Product Detected

Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230

Best of luck all -

wavezz2k

( LMGuadagna, rhymes with Lasagna, Spa boy & part time IT support)

Current Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility Installed 14.0.1.0 Your driver is current.

(Above, from install wizard, which is not right. Rev 14.1.1.3 is latest)

So, Dell's site is not the latest driver. Intel's site tells you that your driver is the latest, and it's not. Intel's site also states the latest install ZIP contains a different Revision package than what's actually in the ZIP file.

Router type, and plugged in or not (even if it's your "ear") won't make a lick of difference. Recommend you try the new install Rev 14.1.1.3, it could help.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

wavezz2k Nice find...lets see how long before this driver appears in the Dell downloads. I also have downloaded the full package from the Intel website and can verify it works quite well with a Linksys  and Netgear router.

Now if someone can find a fix for the screen saver/power issues!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I can confirm that this download gets the card working again:

downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx*&DownloadType=%0ASoftware%20Applications%0A

Make sure you read wavezz2k instructions above as I had also installed the driver before but for some reason it was not updated properly.

As a note it works well but there is definitely room for improvement

Thank you wavezz2k for the info, let's hope DELL and Intel work together to get card working properly

Highlighted
2 Iron

I am at work and I have 3 wireless routers I can connect to. One has no problem. It connects and stays connected. The other two although I can see them and have good reception (4-5 green bars) i try to connect but it goes back to the first that has no problems. Before I could not connect to any. This is funny because this one is the farthest away from me (physically).

I can say that on the connected one i can only see speed of  13 - 30 Mbps. I still have my old laptop and see 50+ numbers and no problems connecting to any of the routers.

I don't know if I have to reset something or delete something, kind of busy today and need to get some work done. I will try this at home tonight to see how it works there and advise findings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

I can confirm that this download did not fix the problem at Home. I have a Motorola Broadband Router with Bright House Networks. When I plug in the wireless adapter into my USB, works fine. Infact this was how I was able to connect to write this post.

In addition with my prevoius post that as the day wore on so did the wireless to a point where I just turned it off and pugged in my ethernet cable.

I have a service tech coming out to replace the card I am intrested to see if this helps any.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thank you for the update.

I have not yet been able to test it with other routers but i can say it works fine but not great, all my other laptops and even mobile phones consistently perform better than the 15z.

I hope Dell can work with intel to deliver decent drivers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hello guys,

I had the same issue with my XPS15Z.. I got mine at the beginning of the month, I called Dell and one of their techs changed the power performance to the maximum.. and he also changed something on the wireless card from the Computer - Manage and I never had the issue again..  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

My XPS15Z arrived today in Perth Australia.

Cannot belive I also have this issue. I get about 2 bars and it keeps dropping out.

I have read all of the threads and am not clear whether it is worth updating the driver or not.

What is DELL recommending?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hey me too, bought mine from JB Hifi, I can't even email support about it because the 15z's service tag isn't registered yet. I cant call them at work to get someone to come fix it either... ATM I've bought a $30 USB wireless dongle from www.PLE.com.au (They're in Bentley and Warwick if you're nearby)

It has got me working for the time being but I very upset about this problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Same problem with my service tag also.

Regretting I bought this now. Was thinking about a MacPro and wish I had

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi,

I recently purchased the XPS 15z.

I was also having problems with the wireless (N6230) - very poor performance/connection with multiple routers.
After some ivestigating, I figured out that I only had problems while on the 'Power Saver' power plan and presumed it was to do with the power save polling (PSP).

Once I set the 'Power Saver' Wireless Adapter Settings on battery to 'Maximum Performance' the problem has gone away. Happy Days.
(Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings -> Change Advanced Power Settings -> Wireless Adapter Settings -> Power Saving Mode -> On Battery/Plugged In -> Maximum Performance

Maybe it's a totally different issue that you guys are having.

I'm going to give the newer intel drivers linked a posts up a try anyway.

Regards,
Slow Roast

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

As Slow Roast stated even with the new Intel wireless driver you still need to change the advanced power settings to maximum performance for both battery and AC.

Go to http://pingtest.net/ and you can see the difference with power settings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

I had a Dell technician come out and he swapped out the card. It did not solve the problem. Does anyone know if we can try a different card?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DellEMC

I just wanted to check in again.  I have contacted engineering regarding the poor wireless performance issues and they tell me that they are looking at posting the new Centrino driver version v14.1.1.3 shortly.  They also tell me that Intel is also working on a new driver.  

I still suggest if any of you have not already done so, make sure that your routers firmware are fully updated with Intel PSP.  Hopefully between the two new drivers all of you should start seeing stable WIFI performance.

TB

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thank you Terry for touching base.

It's great to hear that new drivers are coming soon.

I also want to post about my experience I think this deserves to be posted.

A DELL technician came yesterday (after 1 day of delay and without contacting) and did not know how to open the laptop to replace the card. Instead of waiting and come back he wanted to open the laptop at all costs.

He ended up breaking various parts and scratching the laptop because he was totally unqualified. I was shocked.

I was offered to have more parts replacements. But I must say this rather a poor offer! I paid $1500 and you break and scratch my laptop and you offer me to replace the parts after all the absurd inconvenience? Leaving me a scratched computer (they say this is not covered) with the huge concern that same exact technician will come anyway.

I asked for a brand new system (which is what I paid for) and I was told that because I am outside of the USA I can't have a system replacement.

I want to mention that the technician had to put duct tape to keep parts together!

So now I am stuck with a broken laptop and I won't be back to the USA due to work for at least 3 months.

I must say this is extremely disappointing, I am shocked.

I just would like a new working laptop and I would be a very satisfied customer because after all the XPS 15z is a good system and good value for the money.

I was told I was going to be called back to see what could be done.

I am posting here for 2 main reasons:

TO OTHER USERS: Make sure the technician knows what he's doing because this is a new system and apparently some don't know how to deal with it.

TO DELL: I ask please authorize DELL support in Europe to send me my brand new system and offer me a good solution for all the inconvenience.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

The technician that replaced my card did a great Job. It did not work but he went the extra step to try and help me. I want to try and reiterate it is not the hardware, at least I think. It is the SW.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

I now cannot download any drivers on the Dell Site for this configuration.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DellEMC

Phil

Are you not able to download any files, or is it simply from Dell.com.  It could be a problem with the Download manager.  If you are not using Internet Explorer try that and see if it helps, or don't use the download manager at all and manually download and save the driver to your desktop.  Then you can run the driver at your leisure.

TB

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Dell has no drivers...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I initiated the return for my system yesterday. I agree its not the card but the software. Dell has no downloads available for the 15z. I downloaded my drivers form intell but I am still getting very poor performance. It's too bad because the case and screen are very well made. I might buy one a month from now but Dell has really dropped the ball on releasing a system with this kind of issues.  A laptop that cannot connect to a wireless network unless it is plugged into an ac adpater is not really portable or viable. I am not bashing Dell either I have several other systems that we use in our business and home. I just don't like being used as a beta tester with my money and time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

It is probably it was such a great deal in the first place Me I will try to make them pay for my $70 USB wireless card
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

What is going on with this is there any new news? I havent heard anything from dell its just like it never happened?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Terry I cannot connect to the Downloads and drivers section with my system service tag number.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DellEMC

Looks like the new Intel wireless driver is available.

It may be downloaded from the following link.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

Here is the new bluetooth driver

Intel software package to go with the drivers. Install this last after the other two drivers have been installed.

TB

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DellEMC

Phil

I checked your service tag and noticed that it didn't bring up any driver files. I will file a report to get this corrected.

TB

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

It seems that there are a lot of 15z service-tags that do not work in support. We bought two 15z laptops in Europe and both tags are not accepted by support.

On topic: I have the same issues with the WiFi connectivity on the 15z. Let me explain my WiFi setup and hardware for comparison: I have two WiFi AP's in my home. Currently I have a Latitude E6500, iPad and iPhone that use WiFi. I have excellect reception through my home and garden even on the 2nd and 3rd floor. The 15z only works on the ground floor and no reception in the garden. So clearly there is a problem with the antenna/WiFi card or maybe it's driver related.

I tested the new driver yesterday. First conclusion: WiFi detection is slow. It takes a couple of minutes before I'm connected to my network. While the previous driver had a connection before I could logon. Second: reception is better but still not good enough. I can now use the laptop on the 2nd floor. Still no reception in my garden.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DellEMC

I am checking, have all of you downloaded and installed the latest driver and are all of you seeing the same results that MarcG75 is seeing? Any of you receiving better results with the new drivers?

I also want to check again with everyone to see if they are noticing this on AC and battery both or only on battery.

I would also like to ask what brands and models of routers or APs that are being used.  

Thank you

TB

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos