Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2011 05:00

New Dell XPS 15z (L511z) Wireless Card Issues

Hello All! I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15z with the L511z configuration which includes a Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230. The new Laptop is a true wonder and the best by far on the 15" market, especially with the nVidia GeForce GT 525M 2G.

The problem i am having is with wireless. When connected to the router there are no issues what so ever with speed when browsing the Internet or playing World of Warcraft, however, unplug and fall into the dread of slow latency and unforgiving torture.

Has anyone found a resolution. I do understand that when you are plugged in it is much better reception, however, being no dummy I still have my old laptop and my wife's which are HP and have no issues what so ever with wireless.

5 Posts

June 28th, 2011 05:00

Same problem with my service tag also.

Regretting I bought this now. Was thinking about a MacPro and wish I had

8 Posts

June 28th, 2011 05:00

Hey me too, bought mine from JB Hifi, I can't even email support about it because the 15z's service tag isn't registered yet. I cant call them at work to get someone to come fix it either... ATM I've bought a $30 USB wireless dongle from www.PLE.com.au (They're in Bentley and Warwick if you're nearby)

It has got me working for the time being but I very upset about this problem.

9 Posts

June 29th, 2011 03:00

Hi,

I recently purchased the XPS 15z.

I was also having problems with the wireless (N6230) - very poor performance/connection with multiple routers.
After some ivestigating, I figured out that I only had problems while on the 'Power Saver' power plan and presumed it was to do with the power save polling (PSP).

Once I set the 'Power Saver' Wireless Adapter Settings on battery to 'Maximum Performance' the problem has gone away. Happy Days.
(Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings -> Change Advanced Power Settings -> Wireless Adapter Settings -> Power Saving Mode -> On Battery/Plugged In -> Maximum Performance

Maybe it's a totally different issue that you guys are having.

I'm going to give the newer intel drivers linked a posts up a try anyway.

Regards,
Slow Roast

29 Posts

June 29th, 2011 10:00

As Slow Roast stated even with the new Intel wireless driver you still need to change the advanced power settings to maximum performance for both battery and AC.

Go to http://pingtest.net/ and you can see the difference with power settings.

34 Posts

June 30th, 2011 09:00

I had a Dell technician come out and he swapped out the card. It did not solve the problem. Does anyone know if we can try a different card?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 30th, 2011 10:00

I just wanted to check in again.  I have contacted engineering regarding the poor wireless performance issues and they tell me that they are looking at posting the new Centrino driver version v14.1.1.3 shortly.  They also tell me that Intel is also working on a new driver.  

I still suggest if any of you have not already done so, make sure that your routers firmware are fully updated with Intel PSP.  Hopefully between the two new drivers all of you should start seeing stable WIFI performance.

TB

25 Posts

June 30th, 2011 13:00

Thank you Terry for touching base.

It's great to hear that new drivers are coming soon.

I also want to post about my experience I think this deserves to be posted.

A DELL technician came yesterday (after 1 day of delay and without contacting) and did not know how to open the laptop to replace the card. Instead of waiting and come back he wanted to open the laptop at all costs.

He ended up breaking various parts and scratching the laptop because he was totally unqualified. I was shocked.

I was offered to have more parts replacements. But I must say this rather a poor offer! I paid $1500 and you break and scratch my laptop and you offer me to replace the parts after all the absurd inconvenience? Leaving me a scratched computer (they say this is not covered) with the huge concern that same exact technician will come anyway.

I asked for a brand new system (which is what I paid for) and I was told that because I am outside of the USA I can't have a system replacement.

I want to mention that the technician had to put duct tape to keep parts together!

So now I am stuck with a broken laptop and I won't be back to the USA due to work for at least 3 months.

I must say this is extremely disappointing, I am shocked.

I just would like a new working laptop and I would be a very satisfied customer because after all the XPS 15z is a good system and good value for the money.

I was told I was going to be called back to see what could be done.

I am posting here for 2 main reasons:

TO OTHER USERS: Make sure the technician knows what he's doing because this is a new system and apparently some don't know how to deal with it.

TO DELL: I ask please authorize DELL support in Europe to send me my brand new system and offer me a good solution for all the inconvenience.

Thank you!

34 Posts

June 30th, 2011 15:00

The technician that replaced my card did a great Job. It did not work but he went the extra step to try and help me. I want to try and reiterate it is not the hardware, at least I think. It is the SW.

34 Posts

June 30th, 2011 18:00

I now cannot download any drivers on the Dell Site for this configuration.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

July 1st, 2011 09:00

Phil

Are you not able to download any files, or is it simply from Dell.com.  It could be a problem with the Download manager.  If you are not using Internet Explorer try that and see if it helps, or don't use the download manager at all and manually download and save the driver to your desktop.  Then you can run the driver at your leisure.

TB

July 2nd, 2011 08:00

Dell has no drivers...

July 2nd, 2011 11:00

I initiated the return for my system yesterday. I agree its not the card but the software. Dell has no downloads available for the 15z. I downloaded my drivers form intell but I am still getting very poor performance. It's too bad because the case and screen are very well made. I might buy one a month from now but Dell has really dropped the ball on releasing a system with this kind of issues.  A laptop that cannot connect to a wireless network unless it is plugged into an ac adpater is not really portable or viable. I am not bashing Dell either I have several other systems that we use in our business and home. I just don't like being used as a beta tester with my money and time.

34 Posts

July 2nd, 2011 11:00

It is probably it was such a great deal in the first place Me I will try to make them pay for my $70 USB wireless card

34 Posts

July 4th, 2011 14:00

What is going on with this is there any new news? I havent heard anything from dell its just like it never happened?

34 Posts

July 4th, 2011 14:00

Terry I cannot connect to the Downloads and drivers section with my system service tag number.

No Events found!