Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2011 05:00

New Dell XPS 15z (L511z) Wireless Card Issues

Hello All! I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15z with the L511z configuration which includes a Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230. The new Laptop is a true wonder and the best by far on the 15" market, especially with the nVidia GeForce GT 525M 2G.

The problem i am having is with wireless. When connected to the router there are no issues what so ever with speed when browsing the Internet or playing World of Warcraft, however, unplug and fall into the dread of slow latency and unforgiving torture.

Has anyone found a resolution. I do understand that when you are plugged in it is much better reception, however, being no dummy I still have my old laptop and my wife's which are HP and have no issues what so ever with wireless.

22 Posts

October 12th, 2011 17:00

@aarondwyer: you can get an RSS feed for your system that will be updated when the new drivers release.  the last time new drivers released, TerryB posted in the Community Forum about a day before the RSS feed updated.  You could try this URL for an RSS feed:

support.dell.com/.../rssoptions

2 Posts

October 13th, 2011 14:00

Also purchased a 15z recently.  WIFI problems

User reported blue screens... BSOD.  Ran the minidumps through Windows Debugger and it blamed the WiFi driver.

Went to dell site and grabbed latest 14.2.0.10 A03 and the bluetooth and driver and installed.

Issue persists only on Wireless and only on our Proxim Orinoco AP-2000 access points.  User does not get blue screen on other AP's so far or when WiFi is disabled.

Called support.... no comment worth posting..

Tried full system restore, still user will get occasional blue screens

Called support.... got them to replace the card.

Card replaced... latest drivers...  

Reg setting for APMMode set - 0

Roam Aggressiveness setting -  2 med low

Transmit power - 5 max

Allow the computer to sleep this device UNchecked

Anyone else getting blue screens or just poor performance?

Ill let you know if the problem persists in a few days.

DELL really your shipping these things with this garbage hardware in them??? REALLY?

16 Posts

October 13th, 2011 23:00

Does anyone know what is an alternative replacement wireless card that can be fitted to the XPS 15Z?

If the custom Intel one that ships isn't ok, there must be another wireless card that would work?

My percent of wireless card working to not working has dropped since after the first week of the using the new drivers, and is now 60% working / 40% not working which is not good. I'm relying on my backup 3G wireless modem.

I'd rather just get a totally different type of wireless network card replacement. Would that help?

At this point I just want it working. I'd prefer to do that than taking 3 days to transfer my programs and files to a new laptop machine.

Aaron

2 Posts

October 14th, 2011 09:00

Blue screens continue.  One while computer was unattended, and right after it came back up.

2 Posts

Can someone tell me if the following cards would work in the XPS 15 (L502x)?

Intel® Advanced N + WiMAX 6250 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO Technology

Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 a/g/n 3x3 MIMO for Gaming & Video

They are from the Alienware line but apparently those with Alienware do not experience the WiFi issues we XPS owners suffer from.

2 Posts

I have been having the same issue with my Dell XPS 15 (L502x) since I received the first machine back on September 1st, 2011. At first I didn't have the 6230 card, I had the one below it with BT. Right out of the box I would get max speeds of maybe 2Mb/s to a Speedtest.net server hosted in my same city on the same ISP. I called Dell and they told me I "Got what I paid for" because of it being the low end card. After about 24 hours of actual time on the phone with Dell technical support they finally agreed to upgrade the system to the 6230.

A technician came out and upgraded the card and yet the issue was still unresolved. I called Dell again and ended up spending another 48 hours of time on the phone with them allowing them every opportunity to repair the issue or at least recognize there was a problem, they couldn't fic it and decided to send a replacement computer out. I received that on September 14th, 2011 and the motherboard failed within 6 hours of receipt. Infuriated, I called Dell again and after a week or so (and many false promises of contact) I was contacted by corporate escalations and they agreed to send me another replacement this time with upgraded CPU, Soundblaster Xi-Fi, face recognition and everything my original system had as a way of apologizing for the issues. I was assured the system would work to spec when received.

Well I took delivery of that system on October 11th, 2011 and here I am still having to hard-line to the internet because the WiFi card still doesn't work. Better still, they sent me the system without a 9-cell battery or a Backlit keyboard (both were options I selected on the original build). A technician is apparently coming out today to swap the keyboard but with everything I have seen about "repairs" on here it seems they break them more often than fix them.

I spent over $1600 on this system and expect it to work correctly out of the box! The newest replacement system didn't even have the updated WiFi drivers which I found out about on this forum. After installing them I notice no change in the poor WiFi performance and I am less than 5 feet away from my router. My router is a cable modem with a combine 4 port router and WiFI provided by Eastlink (Motorola is the manufacturer). I know the router isn't at fault because my girlfriend's 2 year old HP has no trouble maxing out our paid for speeds of 20Mb/s DL and 2Mb/s upload.

As this has been my first experience  as a customer with Dell (I was an HP man before, even worked for them for 5 years) I will never purchase another of their products and unless this issue is resolved in the next week I will be returning everything for a full refund and buying an MSI system. At least they work and for the same price I will get better specs.

I have 15+ years of experience in the IT industry and have NEVER seen such a spectacle as this one. Dell owes EVERY customer that has been affected by this an explanation and a working fix immediately. Any other company would have done so by now.

1 Message

October 14th, 2011 10:00

Hi guys,

Few days ago I've received my Dell XPS 15 (LX502) with the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 and I had the same problem as you guys. I've tried every single advice which was posted here but without luck. Today I've speak for almost 2 hours with Dell trying to solve this issue but no luck here. I've just got home and an brilliant idea flashed me :)) what will happen if will change the antenna cables (the with one in the black slot and black one in to the white) and surpriseeee my issue was fixed. I can finally enjoy the experience with my new laptop :))).

Even if is the most stupidest solution I wish that for all of you guys, this one will also do the trick. Good luck guys!

P.S. I'm very serious and this reply is no joke, but now I wonder how many of you will look for a screwdriver after they read my post....

39 Posts

October 17th, 2011 06:00

Can we please have an update on this Dell? This issue should have been resolved weeks ago, if there is no forthcoming solution I will definitely be claiming my money back and moving to another brand.

2 Posts

October 18th, 2011 15:00

My XPS 15z arrived today and I'm experiencing the same issues. Frequent(every 10-30s) wireless packetloss, resulting into timeouts and lowered overall throughput by a factor 10.

I did find out though that after installing nvidia's latest drivers the behavior changed. When im using the discrete gpu only, the speed is normal (1.5MB/s), but from the second i start a nvidia gpu accelerated program the speed drops instantly to 100KB/s. When i close the program the speed goes up again, its reproducable across multiple download sources and multiple programs utilizing the gpu.

Seems to me like a driver issue.

Hope this helps....

1 Message

October 18th, 2011 17:00

Did you ever get this resolved and if so, how long did it take you to get it resolved?  Seems like people are still posting with the same issues on this computer.  I was considering purchasing but not so sure any more.

October 19th, 2011 03:00

At lease in my case I was able to disable the bluetooth, and the wireless N capabilities of the card through the device manager and that fixed my problems.

I am more than happy to run at wireless G speeds and without bluetooth until this driver issue is fixed, because this is otherwise a brilliant laptop.

(having same issues on L502X)

16 Posts

October 19th, 2011 08:00

@Andrew Glover, can you detail what steps you took to disable the bluetooth, and wireless N (not sure what that means)

Do you mean go into the device manager and change the properties of the intel centrino advanced 6230, under advanced tab, disable bluetooth?

And are you talking about wireless mode, and just forcing it to 802.11g?

Aaron

October 19th, 2011 15:00

I followed the steps outlined by Beef Chump on page 12 of this thread,

located here

en.community.dell.com/.../19929667.aspx.

I am using the 14.2.0.10 driver on the Intel N1030 card.

If you go to device manager, select the "intel centrion wireless-N N1030" entry and choose properties, change to the advanced tab and disable "bluetooth AMP" and "802.11n Mode". Also change "wireless mode" to "3. 802.11b/g".

Close/apply those changes and go back to device manager, Under "network adapters" disable,

"Bluetooth device (Personal area network)" and "Blueooth device (RFCOMM protocol TDI)"

I did not disable any other references to bluetooth in device manager and did not change my wireless channel and it seems to have solved my problems.

Regards,

Andrew

16 Posts

October 22nd, 2011 14:00

@Andrew Glover, thanks for the detailed help. I've now disabled bluetooth and set a fixed wireless mode. Unfortuantely that hasn't helped my problem. Looks like I'll just have to wait for the driver update.

Aaron

October 22nd, 2011 20:00

Terry: Don't know if you are still around. I just received the XPS 15" and I have the same problem. I cannot connect to the internet. The machine connects to my wireless network but won't connect to the internet. my other two laptops and my tablet (MacBook Pro 15" & HP Elitebook & Nook Color tablet) have no problem. When I connect with a cable still can't connect. Have spent several long hours on three occassions with Dell Support with no solutions and no suggestions on how to resolve this issue. After 48 hours it is in the box headed back to Dell tomorrow. which is two bad. Other than the connectivity issue I really liked this machine. I have been buying Dell equipment for 15 years. This is my last purchase. Paid for the top of the line model, it does not work and DELL no solutions other than wasting hours upon hours of my time. Off to the Apple store tomorrow. If anybody is thinkin of buying the XPS machine please check the internet. Many, many Dell customers have this problem and it has been going on for months. Dell has done nothing to fix the problem, but continues to sell the versions wioth the problem;.

No Events found!