Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2011 05:00

New Dell XPS 15z (L511z) Wireless Card Issues

Hello All! I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15z with the L511z configuration which includes a Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230. The new Laptop is a true wonder and the best by far on the 15" market, especially with the nVidia GeForce GT 525M 2G.

The problem i am having is with wireless. When connected to the router there are no issues what so ever with speed when browsing the Internet or playing World of Warcraft, however, unplug and fall into the dread of slow latency and unforgiving torture.

Has anyone found a resolution. I do understand that when you are plugged in it is much better reception, however, being no dummy I still have my old laptop and my wife's which are HP and have no issues what so ever with wireless.

11 Posts

October 22nd, 2011 23:00

I'm curious, has anyone checked to see if it's a router compatibility issue?  I purchased a refurbished 15z i5, and it works perfectly, including the BT.

Just before I got it, I had replaced my D-Link DIR-655 with an Asus RT-N56U because of problems I was having with my iPad 2 staying connected and had read of others having the same problem with the 655.  With the Asus, my iPad now stays connected with 5 bars all the time.

Of coarse the 15z should work with all standards routers, it's not a new technology, but knowing that is the issue would help solve the problem.

What wireless routers are those of you, with problems, using?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

October 24th, 2011 12:00

I am afraid that I don't have a lot of news regarding the Centrino 6230 on the XPS 15.  From my information Intel has been working on the issue directly and presumably new drivers are on the way.  I still have no ETA when the new drivers may be released. What I got from most of you that are still having problems with the WIFI card is that the connection is better using a Wireless G network and the Bluetooth adapter was disabled.  

I know many of you have had better success over some routers than others.  This was Intel’s, original suggestion updating the firmware on your current router or trying other routers.  If you have the option then I certainly suggest trying other routers and see if WIFI performance increases.

I apologize for not having anything new today. Please be assured that as soon as I get any status changes, I will post first here about it.

Thank You

TB

October 25th, 2011 08:00

Terry - it is now late October.  I am (was?) considering buying a 15z, but if the wireless issues have not been resolved, there is no point in getting it.

So... has Dell + Intel solved the issues?  I have an "N" router and was planning on the "better" (not so much) wireless card, so I am in the not-so-sweet spot of the issues.

Can we get an update on this thread? Please tell us that the issue is resolved!  If not, what is the ETA for the fix? It's been almost FIVE MONTHS.

Mark

22 Posts

October 25th, 2011 11:00

I just saw on the Dell Facebook page they are pushing XPS 14z saying cnet gave it a 4 out 5 stars. Does the 14z have a whole different wifi card? Does it have the same issues and cnet is over looking them if the 14z doesn't have any issues we should all get the new card for free. I'm interested to see what the answer is

October 25th, 2011 12:00

15z is well-rated too - funny that reviewers did not have these issues...

I personally don't want a smaller screen, so the 14z won't be my system.

22 Posts

October 25th, 2011 13:00

"Built-in Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 802.11 A/G/N and Bluetooth 3.0 wireless connectivity" is quoted in the Press Release for the XPS 14Z.

The OP stated "...the L511z configuration which includes a Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230..."

It is pretty much impossible for Dell to have fixed a problem found in the XPS 15z before engineering freeze on the XPS 14z.  Production cycles are faster these days, but still takes a long time to get parts and assemble them for worldwide availabilty on 15 November.

What will be interesting and probably never known by those outside Dell and Intel is whether the software fix that is promised is a workaround for a hardware design decision (either in the chipset or in the integration with the other components) or a fix for what is really a software problem.

If the XPS 14z doesn't have this problem, then perhaps it is because of the possible different antenna configuration that may come with the different screen design ("The 14-inch HD display easily fits into a 13-inch laptop form factor – while offering 10 percent more viewing area than a 13.3” display.").  I'm curious, but I guess we'll have to wait for someone to receive an XPS 14z and test it.  Perhaps this is my long-awaited real replacement for the Studio XPS 13.  But after my experience with this XPS 15z, I can guarantee that I'll be waiting awhile before trying it.  I'm not interested in being a beta-tester of any more of Dell's cutting edge designs (and no, I'm not talking about those burrs on the metallized plastic base cover where it snapped off the sprue).

33 Posts

October 25th, 2011 15:00

Just out of curiousity...for those of you still having the issues with the XPS 15 (L502x) and 15z...have any of you had the system opened by a technician to have parts replaced?  Reason I'm asking...I have an XPS 15 (L502x) and was having problems with my wireless, also a 6230.  My problem was not dropping wifi, but complete freezes of the system while in idle mode (for the most part, sometimes while on the internet.)  Anyway, at one point in the troubleshooting process, I lost G networks.  My system would only find N networks.  When the tech came to replace my wireless card, he found that one of my antenna ends was fried...well, when he came to fix the fried antennae, he found that my system had been built incorrectly.  To replace the wireless antenna, he had to replace the whole back of the laptop screen.  When he pulled the back off my screen, he noted that there was only ONE antenna going around the outside edge of my screen...there were supposed to be TWO.  The new back that he was shipped to replace had antenna wires running down BOTH sides of the screen instead of ONE.  Just curious if this could be an issue with those of you still experiencing wifi drops and such.  Replacing the screen back and therefore giving me the 2 antenna wires I was supposed to have did not fix my problem with freezeups.  It allowed my system to find G networks again...but the drivers released in September seemed to have cured my problems (crosses fingers that once I say it, it doesn't go wonky again!)  Maybe it's a combination?  Just throwing it out there as something to look at!

24 Posts

October 26th, 2011 01:00

Hi all

I just got a 15z with same issuesusing a Bob IINet Belkin router.

Has Intel Centrino Advanced N6230 Network Adapter

Losing wifi connection about every 30 minutes. :emotion-6:

However I have managed to stable it if you don’t use blue tooth

Download new latest Wifi and Bluetooth drivers (see Dell-Terry B link)

Uninstalled the current Wifi and Bluetooth

restarted

reinstalled new blue tooth driver

restarted

reinstalled new Wifi driver

restarted

then I uninstalled (yes get rid of them) the current Wifi and Bluetooth

In advanced power management set to maximum performance

restarted

It now works fine, stable !!

However if seems a bit slow (ping your router) then went into device manager and set the card advanced properties to:

Disable 802.11n mode

Disable Bluetooth AMP

Set wireless mode to 802.11 b/g

(As per Slow Roast recommendations)

Now light speed and no crashing..

Sqishy :emotion-11:

6 Posts

October 28th, 2011 19:00

Hello there!

Well, since 08-19-2011 when I configurated my XPS 15z (I posted here about it) as Sqishy said on the previous post, I don't have problems anymore.

But if you guys still have problems, I suggest you to buy a wireless adapter (USB) while Intel doesn't release the new drivers.

These adapters are really cheap.

Take care and good luck to all!

sambhbr

8 Posts

October 31st, 2011 01:00

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

October 31st, 2011 09:00

Hello All

I have heard word from engineering that a new driver for the Centrino 6230 on the XPS 15z will be released shortly.  The driver is set up to correct speed and connection issues with wireless N networks.  I will post again once the drivers are posted.

TB

25 Posts

October 31st, 2011 09:00

This is great news Terry, thank you for letting us know.

Regards

October 31st, 2011 11:00

Terry:

Thank-you for working diligently on this issue. I spent almost $2,000 for a laptop that did not work, and I didn't have the time and want to spend the effort to troubleshoot settings on a brand new laptop. Even though I really liked the laptop, and I have been a Dell customer for more than 15 years, after three days I sent the laptop back. That was after spending hours on the phone on three different occassions with Dell technical support who did not seem to have any idea there was a systemic issue.

I ponied up and bought the new Apple Macbook Pro.

October 31st, 2011 22:00

Well after reading many professional reviews the Dell xps 15z stood out in my mind as a quality notebook.  The specs are on par if not better than a MacBook pro or most other pc competitors in the price range and form factor. As a result I decided to purchase from Dell's Outlet store and found myself a loaded machine (i5, 6gb memory, 2 gb video, 1080p screen, 750gb HD and the dreaded Centrino 6230 wifi card) for $679.20 which includes a 20% dell coupon.  That's almost 45% off retail and looks brand new!!!

In fact, I didn't even see this thread until after I opened and unpacked the box, needless to say i was a bit worried what I would find.  I've put the machine through its paces updated a few drivers too and happy to report this thing works perfectly.

I've simultaneously downloaded 300 meg files, enjoyed YouTube music videos and browsed the Internet with absolutely no disruption of service.  If it helps in these discussions my router is a Cisco E4200 dual band.  I really like this machine for the looks and performance.  

The only thing keeping this from receiving five stars for me is the fact there's no blue ray player.  Come'on Dell, I'm sure someone can source one for you that will fit under the hood.

It seems Dell has listened to the community here which hopefully had some contribution in getting drivers released to the public.  I'm on my fourth Dell product in 15 years and have had nothing but great customer service and product performance.  This Dell XPS 15z is no exception, it's just too bad it took Dell this long to react to others customers technical issues.  They could have done better...

November 3rd, 2011 07:00

Thats all well and good, but I'm not connecting to a wireless-N network and still have the same issues. Is it going to fix other faults? I had a replacement card fitted which helped slightly, but this card is still making my WLAN drop to 1-2MBps rather than the 54 it should be broadcasting at due to bad drivers

No Events found!