Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 30th, 2010 00:00

New HDD ??

I'm thinking about upgrading my HDD for my 6400/E1505 Inspiron? So far the only thing that I find deficient  in current PC is it's meager 105 GB HDD.  Does DeLL sell larger HDD to replace my OEM ?

6.4K Posts

July 30th, 2010 13:00

The 6400 will use any standard 2.5" 9.5mm SATA drive as ejn states.  Any adapter can be removed from the old hard drive as I've been doing with my old Inspiron 5160 for six years now.  You can purchase the drive from Dell if you wish, but you will generally pay more for it.  Dell buys them just as you can, only they usually buy in large quantities direct from the manufacturer.  They don't generally pass any volume discount they may get to the purchaser, however.

6.4K Posts

July 30th, 2010 14:00

Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi, Samsung, Toshiba, and I've probably left a couple out, all sell hard drives for laptops.  Check out this page:  http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=380&name=Laptop-Hard-Drives

Saving your data and reinstalling from scratch is not a bad way to go.  I've done it many times over the last twenty years on various computers.  A clean installation gives you a fresh configuration that isn't littered with the remains of many programs that have been installed and removed over the years, and a clean installation generally runs faster than one that has been around longer than a year or so.  This is usually a straightforward process, but it does require considerable time since you must install the os, drivers, and any applications you wish to continue to use.

You don't absolutely have to do it that way, but to transfer your existing system to a new hard drive requires a program to transfer the image (Acronis True Image and Symantec Ghost are examples) plus an external drive shell to mount the new drive.  If you purchase the drive from a store such as Staples, Office Depot, or Best Buy you might even find that the drive includes a CD having a transfer program on it.  Seagate and Western Digital will, I believe, allow you to download from their web pages a trimmed up version of Acronis to use if you have purchased one of their drives.  If you purchase the drive from an on-line store such as Newegg, however, you will usually receive a "bare drive", meaning that you get the drive with nothing else in the package.  It's cheaper that way, though.  The main expense other than the new hard drive will then be just the external drive shell that you will attach to the laptop via the USB ports.  The external drive shell needs to support 2.5" SATA laptop drives.  You can find a sampling of these on Newegg as well.  Just be sure to select one that indicates it supports a 2.5" drive as there are also shells for 3.5" desktop drives:    http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=92&name=External-Enclosures

Please don't think that you must purchase from Newegg; I refer to their pages simply because I purchase from them when it's convenient and I remember their web page address.  There are other on-line stores that I'm sure will treat you just as well.

183 Posts

July 30th, 2010 19:00

Thanks for clearing that up. I, for one, thought that it applied to both type of drives.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 30th, 2010 04:00

Any standard, 2.5" 9.5 mm SATA notebook drive will work as a replacement.

183 Posts

July 30th, 2010 13:00

I don't believe that any 2.5" 9.5mm HDD will fit, at least without special adapter to allow the drive to be connected to the motherboard.  Besides, I wanted a DeLL HDD which is compatible with my laptop.

183 Posts

July 30th, 2010 14:00

Since I never bought a HDD from my laptop from any where can suggest any brand and online vender to  do business with?  Also since this the first I am going to anything like this, should I copy the contents my current drive to my new drive, or I start from scatch?

6.4K Posts

July 30th, 2010 15:00

You are very welcome.  Best of luck to you!

183 Posts

July 30th, 2010 15:00

Thank you very much for your help.  I have three External Western Digital HDDs: 250GB, 500GB, and 1TB. I run some programs directly from the 250GB, store my DATA on the 500GB, and back both of these up on my 1TB. So I have plenty of room to back up my existing internal HDD.

7 Posts

July 30th, 2010 16:00

Just a note to anyone with an older Dell model who is thinking of buying a large hard drive - Check to make sure your model can support the size. This often involves searching Google for people who have had insidious problems upgrading.

I learned this the hard way for my old Latitude D600  - I put a 250GB unit in it, and all appeared well, until a few weeks later when it would not boot into Windows, but would only boot into the command line interface. After following all the suggestions I could find about restoring the boot sector, etc etc, I stumbled on a fix, which was to put the drive on another PC to run a disk unfragmenting program to get all the data down below the 130 GB point, then repartition it to something less than 130 GB (or was that 160 GB)? There was some disagreement about that, because Dell doesn't seem to specify it in their specifications. 

Reason for problem: The D600 wil write data beyond the 130 GB point, but then barfs on the bitmap it just wrote if NTFS happened to write even a single byte above 130GB (160 GB?) limit - Thus part of the BIOS crashes and won't boot to Windows :emotion-6:

183 Posts

July 30th, 2010 17:00

Thanks for your warning, My Inspirion 6400 was bought on 6/17/2007 so it's really that old.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 30th, 2010 18:00

The BIOS limit of 120G applies only to Dell systems using EIDE drives.  There is no such limit on SATA drives such as your system uses.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

The BIOS limit of 120G applies only to Dell systems using EIDE drives.  There is no such limit on SATA drives such as your system uses.

183 Posts

Unfortunately when it's comes to computers Murphy's law always controls!!

183 Posts

August 1st, 2010 15:00

"ckashed" should clashed

183 Posts

August 1st, 2010 15:00

I couldn't find any of the drives that DeLL told me that I could use for my upgrade at NewEgg and they couldn't/wouldn't help me when I emailed them for help; apparently DeLL numbers and description ckashed with NewEgg product data base!!

No Events found!