Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 6th, 2012 13:00

New Inspiron 14z won't boot after Dell logo?

I just received the New Inspiron 14z recently, and it worked fine when I first turned it on and used it for the first time. However, once I shut it down and came back to turn it back on, it just stayed at the dell logo. It won't let me go past it. What should I do? Keep in mind I'm not a technical person..

December 8th, 2012 17:00

Hello, I did this and it worked. Thanks for replying. 

1. Restart the laptop and start tapping the F2 key at the Dell logo for enter the BIOS.
2. Navigate to the “Advanced” menu.
3. Change the SATA operation/selection in BIOS from Intel Smart Response to AHCI.
4. Press F10 to save changes and exit.
5. Reboot the system.
6. Go back into the BIOS by tapping the F2 key and change the SATA operation/selection in BIOS from AHCI to Intel Smart Response.
7. Save changes and exit by pressing the F10 key.
8. Reboot the system and it should boot normally into Windows.

2.6K Posts

December 6th, 2012 19:00

Hello HarmonyBeat,

This is a very rare situation with a new system, and this can be bothersome. I would suggest a couple of steps which would help us isolate the issue. Please follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Releasing the flea power.
-- Disconnect all the external peripherals from the computer including the battery and the ac adapter and release the flea power by pressing and holding the power button for 5 to 10 seconds. Turn on the computer and check.

2. Run the Pre-Boot System Assessment (PSA / ePSA) Diagnostics.
Run the test and check if gives any error code. Note down the error code and update me with the same, would let you know the next course of action. If the test passes on all the hardware components, follow the next step.

Please try the steps and write back to us, would be glad to assist further.

2 Posts

December 8th, 2012 10:00

Hi Allan, 

I am having the same problem and I am running the PSA test now. However, I fail to understand how I am to remove the battery on this computer (brand new 14Z, 1 day old) if the battery is not removable without removing the lower side panel.

1 Message

December 10th, 2012 04:00

I, too, am having this exact issue.  I tried what worked for HarmonyBeat to no avail.  I'm running the Pre-Boot System Assessment now, but not getting anything in normal; running the "thorough" test now.  How frustrating for a brand new machine!  Anyone have any other advice besides calling Dell for a trade in!!??

2 Posts

December 10th, 2012 04:00

The dell tech ran me through what worked for harmony and it worked for me. Except on step 5 I waited for 5 minutes

1 Message

December 10th, 2012 17:00

Just wanted to chime in and say this worked for me as well.  I think what harmonybeat posted here will do the trick for most people.

1 Message

December 14th, 2012 02:00

I tried to do this process and nothing.... still stuck on DELL logo.

1 Message

December 27th, 2012 10:00

This also worked for me.

Seriously unimpressed at a) having to do this at all on day 1 with new laptop and b) the fact that the support section of the website advises to start by removing the battery, so I follow the links to the user manual to see how to do this and find that the manuals show a completely different machine (which tells me to slide the battery release latches, which I don't have).

Luckily I eventually found this post which seems to have done the trick nicely.

Dell not in good books

1 Message

December 31st, 2012 10:00

Call Dell.  easy fix. They will install a Windows update designed for this issue.

373 Posts

December 31st, 2012 21:00

Enter on BIOS gude boot and disable the secure boot.

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2013 20:00

I just bought this computer for my wife and the first time we started up the computer (configured our Windows 8 accounts and such), everything worked out just fine. Then we shut it down and when we decided to use it again, it did the same thing, got stuck on the Dell logo!

Anyway, glad I found this post because what Harmonybeat posted actually fixed the issue. I wonder if this will be keep recurring each time we shut down though?

1 Message

January 6th, 2013 13:00

Hello, I did this and it worked. Thanks for replying. 

1. Restart the laptop and start tapping the F2 key at the Dell logo for enter the BIOS.
2. Navigate to the “Advanced” menu.
3. Change the SATA operation/selection in BIOS from Intel Smart Response to AHCI.
4. Press F10 to save changes and exit.
5. Reboot the system.
6. Go back into the BIOS by tapping the F2 key and change the SATA operation/selection in BIOS from AHCI to Intel Smart Response.
7. Save changes and exit by pressing the F10 key.
8. Reboot the system and it should boot normally into Windows.

Yep above (harmonybeat) instructions worked fine. Thank you. The only comment I would add is, after line 4, do not select Recover option instead wait for 5 mins doing nothing and select Shut Down option.

2 Posts

January 18th, 2013 18:00

I tried this, but I don't have the option of Intel Smart Response.  Only have AHCI and ATA.  Even though I don't have Intel Smart Response, I performed these steps and reverted to AHCI - still no joy.  Any ideas.

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2013 09:00

i bought a new inspiron 14z i switched it off once and from then its stuck in dell logo..

2.6K Posts

February 5th, 2013 02:00

Hello Badboy369,

I see that you have posted the same issue on a different thread where DELL-Sujatha K has addressed your issue. Please refer the thread as it is a possible fix that she provided.

No Events found!