Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 19th, 2017 22:00

New Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming (7567) HDMI Out questions

I have a new Dell Laptop, the "New Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming", specifically the 7567 variant.  Before I start, just to let you know my technical experience, I work in the IT field, and have extensive knowledge of building computers, how drivers work, etc, just to give you an idea of my experience. 

I have a couple of problems with video output on the HDMI channel.  The problems I'm having are when I use the HDMI port with my TV.  My TV is a Vizio M422i-B1, and using up-to-date cabling.  I don't have any problems using the laptop with it's built-in panel, and this laptop works perfectly when used in that way. I though will be using this laptop primarily attached to an HDMI port to my TV, and I'd like to know if changes could be made somewhere on the Laptop in a BIOS or utility I'm missing, or if I may have come up with some feature updates in future BIOS revisions - if possible.

The first problem is there is no video signal sent out on the HDMI port during boot and in the BIOS screens. When Windows starts, video signal is sent and everything appears to be working normally.  This is a problem if I want to access the BIOS, or boot to Safe Mode, or do something in the preboot environment such as booting from a USB drive. I don't see anything in the BIOS or anywhere else that would allow me to enable sending video through the HDMI port in this boot phase.

This leads me to the other problem I'm having.  After Windows starts, the desktop environment stutters, or appears to have noticeable lag, constantly throughout operation.  In addition, the Intel HD Graphics shortcut in the right-click menu disappears. It appears that I cannot configure the Intel Graphics settings while the lid is shut and attached to HDMI. Now here's the weird bit. When I open the lid while still attached to HDMI, the Intel Graphics options DO appear in the right-click menu, and my desktop environment is fluid, stutter-free, and works like it should.  But, when I close the lid again, the Intel settings disappear, and performance is very sluggish.  The only way I've managed to get a fluid experience on the desktop again is to remove the Intel Graphics drivers, or leave the lid open. I don't want to do either of these things, as the Intel graphics drivers need to be installed so I get correct performance when using the laptop by itself, and I don't want to leave the lid open while using it attached to the TV.

Here's a list of the things I've tried. 

• Uninstalled both Intel and Nvidia graphics drivers, rebooted. Installed Dell drivers from the Dell website. Same results, stuttery, laggy desktop.  (Install order was Intel Graphics, reboot, Install Nvidia Graphics, reboot.)
  • Uninstalled both Intel and Nvidia graphics drivers and used drivers direct from Intel and Nvidia. Same results. 
  • Tried different cabling with no change. Have ordered new cabling that supports the latest HDMI standard, not sure if this will make any difference at all.
  • Set computer power profile to Maximum Performance.
  • Set in Nvidia driver prefrences to exclusively use the Nvidia graphics processor. No change. 
  • There are no options in the Intel settings for HDMI/preferred processor that I could see. 
  • Uninstalled Intel Graphics drivers and rebooted - had fluid desktop the whole time I had the basic VGA driver installed for the Intel Graphics portion of the hardware. Re-installing the Intel Graphics driver results in stuttery, laggy performance again. 

When the lid is shut, which GPU handles the video signal? Is there a possible conflict at the hardware level that might be able to be fixed? 

I will say though, that gaming performance is incredible on this laptop though. Every game that I've played on it so far has exceeded my expectations. Gaming on both the built-in panel and through HDMI on my TV works perfectly. Even though that's what I'll be using this laptop for the most, I would like to know if there is anything I can do to improve the performance in Windows while attached to HDMI. I know this laptop is capable of providing a smooth, lag free experience in Windows itself.  

2 Posts

June 19th, 2017 14:00

Hello,

If Lekrus's solution does not work (did not for me) then downgrade your Intel HD Graphics driver to the previous version, 21.20.16.4542,A01 & make sure to disable automatic driver updates from Windows.

This solved the issue entirely for myself after attempting everything else. Dell needs to do a lot more quality control when rolling out driver updates, this was easily 10-15 hours wasted on my end.

2 Posts

September 1st, 2017 10:00

Dell finally released a new Intel Graphics driver on 8/31/2017 to address the hdmi video lag on the Inspiron 7567 Gaming!!! I haven't had a chance to test it. Please somebody give it a try!

Fixes & Enhancements

Fixes:
- Video performance lag improvement.

Enhancements:
- Update Intel 15.46 graphic driver branch for RedStone2 OS

Version

Version 21.20.16.4727, A03

Category

Video

Release date

31 Aug 2017

Last Updated

31 Aug 2017
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=28VH9

3 Posts

March 13th, 2017 14:00

Posted on the 20th of February and still no answer??

Anyway, I have the exact same problem on my new Inspiron 7567.

When I use the built-in UHD screen, everything works well (despite some lag when adjusting the size of applications such as Chrome or Windows Explorer, and blurry texts of some Windows applications such as the 'device manager'), however when I connect it through HDMI or DVI to an external screen the problems start:

- Abnormal lag in desktop environment

- A black screen when I try to play a video fullscreen (for example on YouTube/Netflix)

- Intel Graphics option disappear

I'm not an IT genius, but I've had some 'experts' looking at it but they have no clue what the issue is. Also reinstalled drivers of both the Intel and Nvidia cards.

Please Dell help us out, €1500 is a lot of money...

3 Posts

March 13th, 2017 16:00

Did you solve this problem somehow? I have exactly the same issues with the same model. In addition: mine also stutters and freezes in rare cases even without an external monitor plugged in. Dell support told me to send the device back to them for repairs (warranty). Did you send it back?

March 13th, 2017 23:00

I unfortunately never solved the problem, and to be honest, I think it's a problem at the hardware level that could be fixed with future BIOS updates. I ended up returning it and putting a little more money into the purchase and got an Alienware 15 R3 instead.

This Alienware model though still does not output video to the HDMI port at all times though. Not a huge deal, because what I was more concerned about was the stuttering in Windows. The only sure-fire way to fix the problem (in my case on the 7567) was to disable the Intel Graphics display adapter in Device Manager. That's not the intended, or proper way to run the laptop though. Users should not have to perform special steps just to get proper basic functionality in Windows.

To address some of the Blurry Text in dialogs and such - it's probably because Windows 10 likes to have a custom scale set in the display options. If you reduce the scale slider to 100% and log out/in again, text will be per-pixel crisp again. That can be problematic on the UHD screen though. Scaling gives you that non-native resolution look.

I also had the same problem with YouTube - if you maximized the screen, it would turn black.  Again, a display adapter/driver problem at that point. I didn't bother investigating that one further, other than trying out the latest available version of display adapter drivers from nVidia and Intel. Both Dell and Native drivers did not resolve that issue for me.

Ultimately, my problem was resolved by my sending it back for a refund and investing in a better laptop. This is in no means an acceptable answer to fixing the underlying problems that the 7567 has.  Now that I know that there are other people out there having the same problem, it could be an actual problem than just mine turning out to be a lemon. I hope that some attention is brought to this problem, because the 7567 is a great gaming-grade laptop, it's capable of being an affordable, powerful laptop, if some of these issues are resolved somehow.

3 Posts

March 15th, 2017 07:00

I wanted to add that I too have exactly the same issues when it comes to Intel Graphics options and playing a video in full screen when connected via HDMI (black screen). Support doesn't seem to care.

3 Posts

March 18th, 2017 18:00

I managed to solve these HDMI issues by reinstalling the Intel HID Event Filter Driver from the Dell website.

Unfortunately I still have other issues with this notebook like random USB disconnects despite having turned off "selective suspend" and "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Please Dell, can someone look into these issues?

3 Posts

March 29th, 2017 09:00

Did that also, but without any results. Also updated BIOS already, but again, nothing.

Please Dell fix this

1 Message

May 17th, 2017 15:00

Same thing happens to mine. Apparently this happens to some alienware laptops too and the solution was to uninstall the intel graphics via control panel>add/remove programs.  I also noticed it comes back whenever intel graphics is automatically updated therefore you'll need to keep uninstalling it. I tried to find an explanation as to why this is happening since its wierd that updating intel graphics causes it. I basically just permanently set my network connection to "metered" to prevent it from updating.

As for the black screen when going full screen on youtube/netflix. Try disabling hardware acceleration on the browser you are using.

25 Posts

June 7th, 2017 22:00

I had the same issue on 7567, the lag / stutter. I just use the built in display (i have the TN FHD panel)... it can easily be reproduced. On desktop, right click, Personalize, Background, Picture, and just click any wallpaper on there WHILE slowly moving the mouse pointer.  You'll see it get stuck and suddenly reappear to the moved location, and happens twice, like 2-3 seconds for the entire thing.

The weird thing about this, if some graphic image (ie. 3D of the Nvidia logo spinning) is moving at background, this does not happen.  So this looks like some driver issue of the built in Intel HD 630, or the laptop isn't able to fully use it.  I am unable to install Intel provided driver because it errors saying it has manufacturer supplied driver and that's the only one that can be installed.

Now the driver Dell provides was last updated Jan 2017 (six months ago) and there was nothing after that. For Intel driver, latest was like less than 2 weeks old, but cannot install that.  There was nothing I did with the laptop as its fresh out of box (2 days old), I even did a factory reset last night, so meaning, from the factory setup/image it already has that lag.  Its software, so it may not be something compelling for a return/refund, but I will try things first before going to Dell service route.

When my TV gets wall mounted this weekend I will connect it to HDMI to see if the posted issues above happen as well and will update here.

2 Posts

June 8th, 2017 13:00

Have the similar issue.

Desktop has abnormal lag, especially when minimizing/maximizing browsers windows. In addition, mouse pointer seems like sticks to some link/tab/active area that is usually shown with "mouse over highlight effect" in UI.

Tried the following:

- to setup the latest (released on May 17) drivers from Intel - no changes

- to upgrade Bios to the latest version 1.0.5

- in Multiple displays configuration in Windows, if I switch from Extend this display to Show only on display 2 - experience becomes better, but during further interactions the issue may appear again

- installing the latest NVIdia or reinstalling all drivers from dell.com/support didn't help

- forcing Nvidia via control panel doesn't help

It's also strange that Windows shows multiple displays, while HD Graphics Control panel detects only built-in display and NVidia detects only display linked to HDMI, so it's not possible to setup multiple displays via NVidia Control Panel.

Besides that issue, the laptop itself is great, but it's impossible to use it with and additional display connected via HDMI due to the issue here.

Probably someone from Dell could provide some assistance.

2 Posts

June 10th, 2017 05:00

After a lot of googling I realized the issue is not related to specific Dell's model, but to NVidia card and drivers support for Windows 10.

To fix the issue it's necessary to setup Creators Update for Windows 10 (build 1703)

and also setup the latest NVidia drivers from nvidia.com site (version 382.53 dated June 9, 2017), during install it's necessary to specify "clean setup" checkbox.

UPDATE: unfortunately, the issue has not been resolved and seems like with the latest drivers from nvidia it even got worse. Looks like nvidia card has several performance levels, when it runs on Level 3-4 the behaviour is smooth, but it always drops to level 0-1 fast and then the behaviour is sluggish. Was not able to find a switch to force constant Level 4 even when Maximum performance is setup in card preferences.

25 Posts

June 12th, 2017 01:00

Ok now that I have a TV available, I had connected it to HDMI. During BIOS bootup there is no display on TV.  In Windows, I extended the display to the TV, no lags nor stutters, and can do general things well (haven't tried to game yet).  The Intel display driver also disappears when only the second screen is active.  Since I had activated the Nvidia GPU icon, I can see that it is the GPU being utilized by the TV (there is a process gfxv4_0.exe).

On the laptop screen, on Intel graphics control panel, display detection only sees built in display, not the TV. While on the NVIDIA Control panel, it can only see the TV (no built in display).

So at this point, it seems to me that once you plug in something at HDMI, the nvidia GPU is assigned to that and the intel GPU takes care of the built in. But since the nvidia is also active at the same time, it definitely does some of the graphics work in such a way that all is lag free (even the wallpaper changing / slideshow is flawless)... with only the built in Intel, that wallpaper changing stutters like what I said on my previous post above.

I would prefer the built in take care of everything, except of course when I want to game.  I had the latest nvidia driver, the latest intel driver provided by dell (which is NOT the latest from intel website), and the latest Win10 Home ver 1607 build 14393.1198 (last setup before the Creator Update... i am prompted to update but I didn't yet).

Aside from curiosity sake, there is not much drive for me currently to have the intel GPU run everything (except game), but once I have progress on this,I will update.

3 Posts

July 9th, 2017 15:00

Have you solved your problem?

I am having lag when using HDMI output only and the sound (through HDMI monitor) is also "breaking" sometimes.

3 Posts

July 10th, 2017 06:00

Have you solved your problem? I have exactly the same here using Dell from Brazil.

When we set to show only SECOND screen (HDMI), Windows get slow, lagging... 

If we Duplicate the screen (show on first and second), Windows gets to normal...

I have tried to disable Intel Graphics through Devices Manager and then the second Screen gets normal, but the first (notebook) screen is kept turned on with a DELL logo stuck (if rebooted).

No Events found!