Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2014 21:00

New Inspiron 15 z got turned off during a system restore.

I accidentally turned off my Inspiron 15z during a system restore.  When I go to reboot, I receive a  "Recovery" blue screen that says, your PC needs repaired. then gives me the following two error messages....File:\windows\system32\winload.efi and Error Code: 0xc000000f.

Well i cant get past this "Recovery" screen.  I Can get into F12 Boot options and F2 Bios but F8 Startup  Settings only takes me to the "Recovery" screen.  I had not yet created any back up for the OS.  Is there any way to recover the OS if that's whats needed.  I'm at a loss.

Someone told my that my drive is done and needs to be replaced but i was able to do a full diagnostic and everything is fine according to the results.  Thank you

615 Posts

February 7th, 2014 23:00

You probably don't need to get a new HDD. In fact that would be more difficult than using the System recovery. Unfortunately doing so takes your PC back to OUT OF BOX state. Any data you have will be lost as this is an invasive procedure. Since you don't have a current backup this may be your only real option. You can try to fix the Master Boot Record but since this problem coincides with a system restore ... no promises made none broken. Here's how to do that if you want give it a quick shot. It's pretty safe, takes only a few steps and doesn't take long.

Boot to Recovery screen (as you indicated in your post)

select Command Prompt

at the command prompt type BOOTREC

once in Bootrec type FIXMBR

you'l get a confirmation message and then just restart. The result of the reboot will let you know if it worked or not. 

I would caution against abandoning that HDD until you've ruled out all other options. The advise you got ...to be blunt....sounds uninformed. Your boot partition and the recovery partition are two "virtual drives" on the same disk. The recovery partition is not affected by a system restore ...that only happens on your windows partition. In this case C:\. 

Remember the Recovery option is fully automated but takes some time and means you lose all your saved data. Hopefully you didn't have too much on there and this is just a "Shot across the Bow." ... that is to say a warning about how important it is to keep a good backup. On my personal PC I create a current backup once a month. Find a schedule that works for you and stick with it. It's better to have it and never need it than having a system crash with critical data. FACT: Computers never pick a good time to crash! (food for thought)

If this answer was helpful please remember to click the YES button and if you need further assistance don't hesitate to contact.

1 Message

April 17th, 2014 10:00

Hi there.

Got my girlfrinds old Dell inspiron 1525 and I now have the blue screen of death. It's the same problem as listed in another post, and I am trying your solution here, to no avail. Am I entering the command prompt correctly? I am typing in BOOTREC/FIXMBR as this is the only way I know how.

I should note I do not have a restore point, for some reason my D drive doesn't have enough space to run a full backup. The only restore point I have is after the last windows update, but that should only be my updates, not any of my system files or documents.

I am a student, and I need these files to pass my classes.

What are my options to recovering my data? HELP!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 17th, 2014 11:00

First thing to do:  remove the hard drive, mount it in an external case, and attach it to a working system.  Make that backup to the hard drive in the working system.

Then return the drive to the notebook, press F12 at powerup and run an extended diagnostic on the drive.  There's a very strong possibility the problem is that the drive is failing - if it's original to the system, it's at about the end of its design life.

If the drive fails, replace it.  If it passes, you'll likely need to do a clean install of Windows.

No Events found!