Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 24th, 2011 05:00

New N5110 Will NOT Wake Up from Sleep Mode

Greetings:

My daughter's brand new 15R (N5110) is a very nice system except for the sleep/resume behavior.  We configured it to sleep when the lid closes - which it does.  The problem is that we can't get it to wake up from sleep.  Hitting keys, pressing the power button for 1-2 seconds - nothing wakes the thing up!  We've researched this a bit but haven't found anything helpful.  What are we doing wrong?

5 Posts

March 2nd, 2012 11:00

Hi Shane,

***TRY THIS

Go to Device manager >> under network  adapter>> look for the Wireless card and Ethernet adapter>> Right click on both these device  and then click on "power management" uncheck "allow this device to wake up the computer"

>> >> Restart the computer and check it again by manually taking the system to sleep mode or hibernate it.> Then wake it up by pressing the power button.

Should work if not call Dell at 1800-624-9896

5 Posts

March 2nd, 2012 11:00

***TRY THIS (It worked for me)

Go to Device manager >> under network  adapter>> look for the Wireless card and Ethernet adapter>> Right click on both these device  and then click on "power management" uncheck "allow this device to wake up the computer"

>> >> Restart the computer and check it again by manually taking the system to sleep mode or hibernate it.> Then wake it up by pressing the power button.

Should work if not call Dell at 1800-624-9896

3 Posts

March 12th, 2012 18:00

Sorry to throw cold water on this being a Dell problem, but I have a Gateway NV5392 laptop that evidences the same problem, and my wireless and NIC devices are not allowed to wake the computer from sleep. This computer has worked properly in the past, but recently developed the unable to wake from sleep problem. I suspect it's more of a Windows 7 problem, maybe due to some recent update, than it is a hardware problem. I, like others who have responded to this thread, would really like a solution other than using the power button to turn the machine off and then have to go through a restart.

2 Posts

March 17th, 2012 08:00

I can tell you excatly what happens because the same thing is happening to me and I believe it has something to do with the video card. When I choose Start/Sleep both the power button and video button light up. BUT the machine does not go to sleep and the ONLY way to wake it up is hold the power button for 5 seconds (hard power off). This of course returns the message "windows was not shut down properly ... blah, blah, blah" upon power up.

I have a pic of this behavior but I receive the following message when I try to insert here:

"

Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!

Either the site is offline or an unhandled error occurred.                                            We apologize and have logged the error.
                                           Please try your request again or if you know who your site                                            administrator is let them know too."

Come on guys ...

March 17th, 2012 08:00

Honestly, I've been just putting it in "hibernate" mode and then closing the lid.  It works fine when you have to open the lid and continue, and isn't much of an extra step.  The laptop has been great, overall, so I figure I can live with this one little glitch.

:) Mags

2 Posts

March 17th, 2012 09:00

Mags ... that worked, thanks. I would never have guessed that hibernate would work where sleep did not. Go figure. I'm changing the default actions for my power buttons to hibenate.

3 Posts

March 17th, 2012 10:00

That's ok if you're happy using hibernate.  Sleep is a function that is supposed to work and it is something I am used to using on all my previous laptops and that's what I want to use on this one.  I don't understand why Dell are not coming forward with a solution to something that is obviously a common fault.

4 Posts

April 22nd, 2012 08:00

dear i have the same problem as u are saying the screen turns black after i close my lid....or if i press the power button {sometimes}.............the problem is same as yours.....

i will like to ask the management of dell about this problem patrick is saying that he does not know nothing then where we would get to know about this............

even dell dosnt know about the prob....

If I press the display on/off to try to get the screen on nothing happens. Pressing the keybord or touchpad also does nothing. I finally press the power button for at least 10 seconds and it shuts off the laptop.

it is brand new laptop i brought it few weeks earlier.....

need reply fast.............talha.....

10 Posts

May 4th, 2012 20:00

I've had my N5110 for several months and the problem with the laptop monitor failing to wake when reopened just started about a week ago for me.  The display on/off button on the top right of the keyboard is lit up like when the system automatically puts the monitor in sleep mode, but no buttons work and I require a hard reset to start the computer.  

I guess I'll have to contact Dell...bummer, I really like this computer but I don't dig the work arounds.

1 Message

May 17th, 2012 09:00

My Inspiron N5110 does the same when I have a mouse plugged in to a USB port.

So my suggestion is to unplug anything from the USB ports before you try anything else.

3 Posts

May 18th, 2012 09:00

Time to add my 2 cents after looking for an answer to the "sleep" problem of my new N5110.  Here's what worked for me: Control Panel>Power Options>Change when the computer sleeps>Change advanced power settings>Sleep>Allow hybrid sleep>Change settings from OFF to: ON (battery) ON (plugged in).  Apply and test it.  Good luck.

1 Message

May 21st, 2012 19:00

I bought a new 15r a month ago and encountered the same problem. After over 6 hours working with tech support they determined that the wireless card was interfering with the systems operations. They told me it wasn't technically a malfunctioning wireless card so if I didn't like how the system was working I could return it. I did. Then waited for over 2 more weeks for the store to get the same model back in stock. Just picked up the new one today and it's doing the SAME thing. I will return it tomorrow. It's very disappointing. I've been a loyal dell customer but I don't think I will get another one after this. Good luck finding a fix. Dell didn't seem to be willing to do anythig for me when I called with my problem originally.

3 Posts

May 31st, 2012 13:00

I just got my laptop back from Dell and it is fixed.  All the report said was that they replaced the hard disk and reinstalled Windows.

2 Posts

June 17th, 2012 16:00

THIS WORKED!!!  I couldn't believe that all these people had the problem.  Your solution worked for me.  Just to reiterate:

Control Panel >

Power Options >

Change when the computer sleeps >

Change advanced power settings >

Sleep >

Allow hybrid sleep >          Change settings from OFF to ON (for both "On battery" and "Plugged in". 

DROBERTO - THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!  I wasn't looking forward to the time spent with a support tech. 

One last thing.....is there a key combination to make it go to sleep like there used to be?  I think it was Ctrl+F1.  They keep saying a sleep button, but I don't see one. 

No Events found!