machka
1 Copper

RE: New Vostro 5470 Does it have mSATA port ?

Jump to solution

hello,

vostro 5470 has one dd3L memory slot and a msata half size slot. max memory support limited to 8gb.

regards

Yasin Yenidunya

Silverline Appliances Co. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
psychors
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi, what msata ssd you put in the Vostro?

0 Kudos
EFR
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Sujatha,

I am from Brazil and I bought a Dell Vostro 5470 notebook with a 128GB SSD. At Internet, many pictures show that the Vostro has two mSATA slots. My questions are:

- What is the maximum capacity (GB) of each slot?

- Can I use all two mSATA slots at the same time? (One SSD drive in each slot)

- Can I use a HDD and a SSD together?

Thanks and Regards,

EFR

0 Kudos
machka
1 Copper

Jump to solution

sorry i don't have half size ssd to put it into vostro 5470.

0 Kudos
machka
1 Copper

Jump to solution

there is something miss understand about msata port. due to vostro has only one msata/pcixpress and a pciexpress slot for wireless card. so you can place only one msata ssd into it and a 2.5" hdd/ssd into it. yes msata & ssd can worj together. dell also doesn!t allow to boot from msata ssd yet. so you have to create at lease 100mb partititon to 2.5" disk drive in order to boot computer.

regards

Yasin Yenidunya

Silverline Appliances Co.

0 Kudos
EFR
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Yasin,

Thank very much you for your response. Do you know what is the maximum capacity (GB) for a mSATA SSD driver that the Vostro 5470 port can support?
More one question, please: Are mSATA port and PCIe port compatibles?

Regards,

EFR

0 Kudos
Quarrion_Pl
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hello,

I would like to buy Dell Vostro 5470, but i'm still hestitating whether to choose 128 GB SSD version or 500GB HDD version. I've read this whole discussion  about mSATA SSD and I am a bit confused - is it possible to install Windows 8 on mSATA SSD (with 500 GB HDD serving as a storage disk)? Will there be no driver issues after reinstalling and upgrading system to Win 8.1? And what's the maximum capacity of mSATA SSD?

and Merry Christmas 😉

thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
hadron1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Here is your answer 

Q1. is it possible to install Windows 8 on mSATA SSD (with 500 GB HDD serving as a storage disk?

A1. Yes ! becasue i am using it. I bought a new msata mini SSD 64GB and put it in the mSATA slot. 

then after backing up all of data from the Origional Hard disk, i deleted every thing from Hard disk .

and booted from from windows 8.1 Pro bootable USB and selected the SSD as the instalation disk every thing was straight forword .

Q2. Will there be no driver issues after re installing and upgrading system to Win 8.1?

A2. all the drivers are available for 8.1 from dell site so no issue of drivers in general. I am having just one issue with finger print reader persona software. My windows finger print login is working but persona give error (cant connect to finger print reader) . I had this issue when i fresh installed 8.1 with upgrade to 8.1 I didnot had this issue.

Q3. what's the maximum capacity of mSATA SSD?

A3. I cant really tell about this. I am using 64GB with no issue ! i think 128GB can also be used but not sure about it .

Now the real problem is to find the mSATA to buy . this is not the normal mSATA. this is even smaller than the mSATA called mSATA mini (half hight). so if you want to put the mSATA in it first check if you can buy any !!!!!!!. because not so many options available to buy mSATA mini

goodluck 

hadron

Quarrion_Pl
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
MarcioFT
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi,

If you could help me, I have 2 questions :

- "7. selcted SSD as my primery drive" -> How you did it? I didn´t see where you change the primary drive in F2.

- What did you done to transfer the OS to the msata ssd ?

Thanks,

Marcio

0 Kudos