Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 23rd, 2011 04:00

New Vostro V131 & clean install issue

Hello,

This morning I started to do what I've done hundreds of times and that would be to fit an SSD to a new laptop.

I tried the following

- Crucial C300

- Crucial M225

- WD 5400rpm drive

- Thee different Windows 7 dvds, two different install sources (Ext DVD & USB)

Problem: Windows is asking for a driver so I assumed that it would be the AHCI driver.  I downloaded from Dell, Win 7 found the driver but no such luck.  How on earth do I clean install Windows 7 onto this machine?  I do have the restore DVDs at home but I should not need them. If I cannot install a new SSD then I'll have no choice but to return the machine to Dell (This week I clean installed Windows onto a HP 6360b, HP 8460p and a HP 5330m with no issue)

:/  Any suggestions?

9 Posts

April 4th, 2012 09:00

Oh, and I've tried booting into Win setup with it plugged into USB3 and then swapping to USB2 - no dice.

9 Posts

April 4th, 2012 09:00

Just stumbled upon this thread with the same issue.

Confusion in that the user above is (quite reasonably) trying to install with an external DVD drive using the DVD dell has supplied.

What I've just established is that the BIOS will only recognise the drive (a common Samsung SE-S084) if it's plugged into the USB 3.0 ports BUT Windows setup will only recognise it if it's in the USB 2.0 port on the left of the laptop. Otherwise in setup you get no DVD drive found when trying to install drivers.

Absolute genius.

Certainly with a number of external DVD drives there will be NO MEANS of installing windows without a USB stick.

The SP1 Win 7 install that came with the laptop doesn't fit on a 4gb USB key, so i've had to just order a new one. Burnt the best part of 4 hours faffing about with it - all to get rid of the Trend and other bloaty stuff installed on the new machine. Shocking.

6 Posts

April 4th, 2012 10:00

I'm actually a tech at a very large hard drive company doing OEM integrity testing so I have quite a few external DVDroms on hand.  I noticed that when using certain externals (no ac adapter required) and plugged into usb 2.0 it does not work.

I have to use an older model dvdrom that requirse an AC adapter while plugged into USB 2.0.  BIOS and windows setup recognizes the drive and installs with no problem.

do NOT use usb 3.0

The model external i used is a Plextor Qflix.  model PX - Q840U

9 Posts

April 5th, 2012 03:00

Thanks for the input - suspected it might be something along these lines.

No PSU available on the Samsung ext DVD drive, so waiting for the larger USB flash drive so I can get Win 7 on it - Win Server 2008 etc fits on a 4Gb... gah!

Suspect that if the laptop had TWO USB 2.0 sockets, the problem would go away with a twin USB cable. To me it does smack of not being tested properly - it's a pretty normal thing to want to do. Users shouldn't expect to need a USB key and to faff about with creating .iso's and bootable USB keys to flatten and rebuild the machine.

4 Posts

April 12th, 2012 08:00

Hello,

I'm having a similar problem. When plugging different devices (USB sticks, external DVD, etc) to the USB 2 port they aren't recognized by the OS nor the BIOS, as opposed to when plugged to the USB 3 ports. Can anyone help with this issue? It's crucial, as installing Win7 using the USB 3 ports isn't possible (or is it?).

Thanks in advance, Ido.

9 Posts

April 13th, 2012 01:00

It worked first time for me once I had a USB key and bootable Windows install on that. Just no way it would work from an external DVD drive. I can't even remember which port I plugged the USB key into - I don't think it cared either way.

4 Posts

April 13th, 2012 04:00

Did you integrate your Windows install with USB 3.0 drivers before the installation? I can only boot from these ports, but can't install from it - probably because of missing USB 3.0 drivers. Do you have any idea why my USB 2.0 port isn't functional at all?

9 Posts

April 14th, 2012 15:00

Sorry, no idea. I just used the "Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool" to create a bootable USB key from an ISO.

3 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 07:00

The same proble (may be thi is ththe last bios issue) after returnig my v131 from the service  with replaced hdd, I've noticed, that I can't boot from external dvd or usb stick, only from usb 3.0 but they are requesting for drivers!!!

4 Posts

Get an external DVD reader which gets its power via AC (not via the USB port), connect it to the USB 2.0 port (on the left) insert Windows 7 Installation media and boot. Worked for me.

611 Posts

you have to use the USB 2.0 port on the left side.

4 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 08:00

It's very important that the DVD will get its power from the wall or a different computer and not from the USB port you are trying to boot through. It won't work any other way.

3 Posts

the "power" usb connected to another comuper - do not help. anyway there is no boot from usb stick from left side anyway

3 Posts

Laptop is ignoring left usb 2.0. during boot, (DVD and usb stick are flashing i it, but no booting) from Right side (usb 3.0) I can boot until usb3.0 driver request

the bios after service is A04

611 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 10:00

You are pressing F12 at post to select boot from USB? I done it several times on my V131 and it works if you used the Microsoft program to prepare the USB stick.

No Events found!