Highlighted
2 Bronze

New Vostro V131 & clean install issue

Jump to solution

Hello,

This morning I started to do what I've done hundreds of times and that would be to fit an SSD to a new laptop.

I tried the following

- Crucial C300

- Crucial M225

- WD 5400rpm drive

- Thee different Windows 7 dvds, two different install sources (Ext DVD & USB)

Problem: Windows is asking for a driver so I assumed that it would be the AHCI driver.  I downloaded from Dell, Win 7 found the driver but no such luck.  How on earth do I clean install Windows 7 onto this machine?  I do have the restore DVDs at home but I should not need them. If I cannot install a new SSD then I'll have no choice but to return the machine to Dell (This week I clean installed Windows onto a HP 6360b, HP 8460p and a HP 5330m with no issue)

πŸ˜•  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: New Vostro V131 & clean install issue

Jump to solution

Hello,

- I tried three different dvds and two different install sources

- There are no AMD chips in this machine.

Thanks for your input though as it got me thinking....

Solution: When installing Windows 7 from a USB source, be it dvd or usb stick, DO NOT USE the usb 3.0 slots as Windows would need a driver to use that type of connection. I changed to a usb 2.0 socket and.... all is fine.

View solution in original post

31 Replies
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

"Problem: Windows is asking for a driver"

What is the Error message EXACTLY?

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

It's not really an error message, just the standard dialog box that's returned when Windows cannot find any device to use.

Out of interest I'll type exactly what it says: (Installing from either USB or external DVD)

Setup is starting... (Standard)

Load Driver:

A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. if you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or usb flash drive, Please insert it now.

I provide the AHCI driver and no devices are found. 

Awesome.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

Then you are getting

" Windows Install could not load the CD/DVD drive that contains the installation media.  Please provide the necessary drive or controller device drivers provided by your manufacturer."   Sounds like the DVD drive is bad or the DVD-R media is flaky.

If you installed via USB flash made from the Microsoft USB DVD Download tool it should work.

Just Delete the ei.cfg file and dont give it a product key.

Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool - Free ... - CNET Download.com

Or is it

"Windows Install could not locate a storage device to install Windows on. Please provide the necessary drive or controller device drivers provided by your manufacturer."

If this is the error you need to PARTITION and FORMAT the drive first.  Then install the OS.

The Northbridge Filter Driver on ATI chipset motherboards may be causing this issue.

Could also be USB Reader is becoming the boot drive and windows cant install onto a reader with no media.

Download driver for JMB36x
ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/XP_Vista_Win7/R1.17.48.16.zip
(http://www.jmicron.com/Driver.htm)

Extract and save to a usb stick.

Boot from DVD.
When message "Required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing"

Click browse and select:
R1.17.48.16\Driver\amd64 folder and then next.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hello,

- I tried three different dvds and two different install sources

- There are no AMD chips in this machine.

Thanks for your input though as it got me thinking....

Solution: When installing Windows 7 from a USB source, be it dvd or usb stick, DO NOT USE the usb 3.0 slots as Windows would need a driver to use that type of connection. I changed to a usb 2.0 socket and.... all is fine.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

omg had the same issue.  thanks for the solution

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Just for simplisty sake the USB port by itself on the left is USB 2

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

Assume you are using a USB stick drive to install.  Plug it into the USB 2.0 port (not the USB 3.0 port) and it will install normally.

XPS 8700 

XPS 14

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thank you for this good posting. I had exactly the same Problem. I have a Intel X25-M 80 Gigabyte SSD. The original-disk with 500 GB I use now as external-USB-Harddrive. On this external disk I put the Windows 7 Install Files. And the Solution was to plug this on the LEFT Side to the USB 2.0-Port and everything works and installs fine.

Maybe an additional advice. Be sure to select in the BIOS ADVANCED-SATA Operation=AHCI
Thanks.
And Greetings from Austria
anil

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

That was exactly the solution I had for this issue.  I probably should have updated my status on this problem.  Thanks for the reply!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Don't use USB 3.0 slot for USB DVD RW to install OS. Use USB 2.0 on the left side!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Although I'm sure people will appreciate the answer it's already been answered MONTHS ago so it might help to read the entire thread before posting the same reply. Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

hi, i'm having the same problem as thr thread starter but i cannot use my v2 usb port for my external dvd.

my vostro does not detect the external dvd unless i plug it in v3 usb port. the message keep showing up everytime i instqll windows. Does anyone can advise me? i've been searching the solution for past 3 days and none works.

Do I need to install windows 7 using bootable usb? now i do not have any OS in my laptop.

thank you!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi they_see,

Welcome to the Community. Yes if the USB stick works on USB 2.0 on your system, you can use it as boot device  and install windows.Installing windows may also help you to fix the issue about your external DVD drive, not working on the USB 2.0 port.

Thank You

Roshan.

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi Roshan,

Thank you for your reply and the welcoming part. So I only can proceed to windows 7 installation further using bootable USB? I have no idea what kind of driver should I load in windows 7 installation, just in case the problem persists. I do not have The Dell Operating System Reinstallation CD/DVD, and The Dell Resource CD/DVD as in the link  support.dell.com/.../document

Please let me know if I can get the missing driver. Previously, my external DVD drive was detected in USB 2.0 port when I used Ubuntu, but it never been recognized in BIOS if plug it in UBS 2.0 port .

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi they_see,

Yes right now that's the only solution.Boot using the bootable USB stick on USB 2.0 port to install windows.

Once you are done installing windows, to download the drivers,log on to www.support.dell.com,click on Drivers and Downloads,Enter your system service tag number to get the drivers for your specific system.

Thank You

Roshan.

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Just stumbled upon this thread with the same issue.

Confusion in that the user above is (quite reasonably) trying to install with an external DVD drive using the DVD dell has supplied.

What I've just established is that the BIOS will only recognise the drive (a common Samsung SE-S084) if it's plugged into the USB 3.0 ports BUT Windows setup will only recognise it if it's in the USB 2.0 port on the left of the laptop. Otherwise in setup you get no DVD drive found when trying to install drivers.

Absolute genius.

Certainly with a number of external DVD drives there will be NO MEANS of installing windows without a USB stick.

The SP1 Win 7 install that came with the laptop doesn't fit on a 4gb USB key, so i've had to just order a new one. Burnt the best part of 4 hours faffing about with it - all to get rid of the Trend and other bloaty stuff installed on the new machine. Shocking.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Oh, and I've tried booting into Win setup with it plugged into USB3 and then swapping to USB2 - no dice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I'm actually a tech at a very large hard drive company doing OEM integrity testing so I have quite a few external DVDroms on hand.  I noticed that when using certain externals (no ac adapter required) and plugged into usb 2.0 it does not work.

I have to use an older model dvdrom that requirse an AC adapter while plugged into USB 2.0.  BIOS and windows setup recognizes the drive and installs with no problem.

do NOT use usb 3.0

The model external i used is a Plextor Qflix.  model PX - Q840U

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks for the input - suspected it might be something along these lines.

No PSU available on the Samsung ext DVD drive, so waiting for the larger USB flash drive so I can get Win 7 on it - Win Server 2008 etc fits on a 4Gb... gah!

Suspect that if the laptop had TWO USB 2.0 sockets, the problem would go away with a twin USB cable. To me it does smack of not being tested properly - it's a pretty normal thing to want to do. Users shouldn't expect to need a USB key and to faff about with creating .iso's and bootable USB keys to flatten and rebuild the machine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm having a similar problem. When plugging different devices (USB sticks, external DVD, etc) to the USB 2 port they aren't recognized by the OS nor the BIOS, as opposed to when plugged to the USB 3 ports. Can anyone help with this issue? It's crucial, as installing Win7 using the USB 3 ports isn't possible (or is it?).

Thanks in advance, Ido.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

It worked first time for me once I had a USB key and bootable Windows install on that. Just no way it would work from an external DVD drive. I can't even remember which port I plugged the USB key into - I don't think it cared either way.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Did you integrate your Windows install with USB 3.0 drivers before the installation? I can only boot from these ports, but can't install from it - probably because of missing USB 3.0 drivers. Do you have any idea why my USB 2.0 port isn't functional at all?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Sorry, no idea. I just used the "Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool" to create a bootable USB key from an ISO.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

The same proble (may be thi is ththe last bios issue) after returnig my v131 from the service  with replaced hdd, I've noticed, that I can't boot from external dvd or usb stick, only from usb 3.0 but they are requesting for drivers!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

you have to use the USB 2.0 port on the left side.

XPS 8700 

XPS 14

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Get an external DVD reader which gets its power via AC (not via the USB port), connect it to the USB 2.0 port (on the left) insert Windows 7 Installation media and boot. Worked for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Laptop is ignoring left usb 2.0. during boot, (DVD and usb stick are flashing i it, but no booting) from Right side (usb 3.0) I can boot until usb3.0 driver request

the bios after service is A04

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

It's very important that the DVD will get its power from the wall or a different computer and not from the USB port you are trying to boot through. It won't work any other way.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

the "power" usb connected to another comuper - do not help. anyway there is no boot from usb stick from left side anyway

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

You are pressing F12 at post to select boot from USB? I done it several times on my V131 and it works if you used the Microsoft program to prepare the USB stick.

XPS 8700 

XPS 14

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

RE: New Vostro V131 & clean install issue

Jump to solution
Guys, as I've searched a Thousand pages looking for a solution, I've found that the real bad guy here is really the USB 3.0 drivers that DO NOT come bundled in the Windows boot disks and it gets lost searching for its own installation files after booting... There are 2 possible solutions: switch to a USB 2.0 usb stick and it goes like a breeze.... OR.... if you are like me and have ONLY 3.0 ports, download the 3.0 controller drivers and unzip all its files to the C: drive click search, go through the drivers you downloaded and click next, it'll find the drivers, "install them" and come back with the same error again. THIS TIME, since the drivers ARE installed, you should unplug the stick and plug it back in... click next and it should work. Easy like a fatality...
0 Kudos