Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 23rd, 2011 04:00

New Vostro V131 & clean install issue

Hello,

This morning I started to do what I've done hundreds of times and that would be to fit an SSD to a new laptop.

I tried the following

- Crucial C300

- Crucial M225

- WD 5400rpm drive

- Thee different Windows 7 dvds, two different install sources (Ext DVD & USB)

Problem: Windows is asking for a driver so I assumed that it would be the AHCI driver.  I downloaded from Dell, Win 7 found the driver but no such luck.  How on earth do I clean install Windows 7 onto this machine?  I do have the restore DVDs at home but I should not need them. If I cannot install a new SSD then I'll have no choice but to return the machine to Dell (This week I clean installed Windows onto a HP 6360b, HP 8460p and a HP 5330m with no issue)

:/  Any suggestions?

2 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 12:00

Guys, as I've searched a Thousand pages looking for a solution, I've found that the real bad guy here is really the USB 3.0 drivers that DO NOT come bundled in the Windows boot disks and it gets lost searching for its own installation files after booting... There are 2 possible solutions: switch to a USB 2.0 usb stick and it goes like a breeze.... OR.... if you are like me and have ONLY 3.0 ports, download the 3.0 controller drivers and unzip all its files to the C: drive click search, go through the drivers you downloaded and click next, it'll find the drivers, "install them" and come back with the same error again. THIS TIME, since the drivers ARE installed, you should unplug the stick and plug it back in... click next and it should work. Easy like a fatality...
No Events found!