Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 23rd, 2011 04:00

New Vostro V131 & clean install issue

Hello,

This morning I started to do what I've done hundreds of times and that would be to fit an SSD to a new laptop.

I tried the following

- Crucial C300

- Crucial M225

- WD 5400rpm drive

- Thee different Windows 7 dvds, two different install sources (Ext DVD & USB)

Problem: Windows is asking for a driver so I assumed that it would be the AHCI driver.  I downloaded from Dell, Win 7 found the driver but no such luck.  How on earth do I clean install Windows 7 onto this machine?  I do have the restore DVDs at home but I should not need them. If I cannot install a new SSD then I'll have no choice but to return the machine to Dell (This week I clean installed Windows onto a HP 6360b, HP 8460p and a HP 5330m with no issue)

:/  Any suggestions?

August 23rd, 2011 08:00

Hello,

- I tried three different dvds and two different install sources

- There are no AMD chips in this machine.

Thanks for your input though as it got me thinking....

Solution: When installing Windows 7 from a USB source, be it dvd or usb stick, DO NOT USE the usb 3.0 slots as Windows would need a driver to use that type of connection. I changed to a usb 2.0 socket and.... all is fine.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

"Problem: Windows is asking for a driver"

What is the Error message EXACTLY?

It's not really an error message, just the standard dialog box that's returned when Windows cannot find any device to use.

Out of interest I'll type exactly what it says: (Installing from either USB or external DVD)

Setup is starting... (Standard)

Load Driver:

A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. if you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or usb flash drive, Please insert it now.

I provide the AHCI driver and no devices are found. 

Awesome.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

Then you are getting

" Windows Install could not load the CD/DVD drive that contains the installation media.  Please provide the necessary drive or controller device drivers provided by your manufacturer."   Sounds like the DVD drive is bad or the DVD-R media is flaky.

If you installed via USB flash made from the Microsoft USB DVD Download tool it should work.

Just Delete the ei.cfg file and dont give it a product key.

Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool - Free ... - CNET Download.com

Or is it

"Windows Install could not locate a storage device to install Windows on. Please provide the necessary drive or controller device drivers provided by your manufacturer."

If this is the error you need to PARTITION and FORMAT the drive first.  Then install the OS.

The Northbridge Filter Driver on ATI chipset motherboards may be causing this issue.

Could also be USB Reader is becoming the boot drive and windows cant install onto a reader with no media.

Download driver for JMB36x
ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/XP_Vista_Win7/R1.17.48.16.zip
(http://www.jmicron.com/Driver.htm)

Extract and save to a usb stick.

Boot from DVD.
When message "Required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing"

Click browse and select:
R1.17.48.16\Driver\amd64 folder and then next.

6 Posts

October 5th, 2011 15:00

omg had the same issue.  thanks for the solution

1 Message

November 19th, 2011 15:00

Just for simplisty sake the USB port by itself on the left is USB 2

611 Posts

November 22nd, 2011 16:00

Assume you are using a USB stick drive to install.  Plug it into the USB 2.0 port (not the USB 3.0 port) and it will install normally.

1 Message

December 14th, 2011 13:00

Thank you for this good posting. I had exactly the same Problem. I have a Intel X25-M 80 Gigabyte SSD. The original-disk with 500 GB I use now as external-USB-Harddrive. On this external disk I put the Windows 7 Install Files. And the Solution was to plug this on the LEFT Side to the USB 2.0-Port and everything works and installs fine.

Maybe an additional advice. Be sure to select in the BIOS ADVANCED-SATA Operation=AHCI
Thanks.
And Greetings from Austria
anil

6 Posts

December 14th, 2011 13:00

That was exactly the solution I had for this issue.  I probably should have updated my status on this problem.  Thanks for the reply!

March 1st, 2012 03:00

Don't use USB 3.0 slot for USB DVD RW to install OS. Use USB 2.0 on the left side!

March 1st, 2012 04:00

Although I'm sure people will appreciate the answer it's already been answered MONTHS ago so it might help to read the entire thread before posting the same reply. Thanks anyway.

4 Posts

March 8th, 2012 22:00

hi, i'm having the same problem as thr thread starter but i cannot use my v2 usb port for my external dvd.

my vostro does not detect the external dvd unless i plug it in v3 usb port. the message keep showing up everytime i instqll windows. Does anyone can advise me? i've been searching the solution for past 3 days and none works.

Do I need to install windows 7 using bootable usb? now i do not have any OS in my laptop.

thank you!!

4 Posts

March 9th, 2012 02:00

Hi Roshan,

Thank you for your reply and the welcoming part. So I only can proceed to windows 7 installation further using bootable USB? I have no idea what kind of driver should I load in windows 7 installation, just in case the problem persists. I do not have The Dell Operating System Reinstallation CD/DVD, and The Dell Resource CD/DVD as in the link  support.dell.com/.../document

Please let me know if I can get the missing driver. Previously, my external DVD drive was detected in USB 2.0 port when I used Ubuntu, but it never been recognized in BIOS if plug it in UBS 2.0 port .

Thanks!

4.4K Posts

March 9th, 2012 02:00

Hi they_see,

Welcome to the Community. Yes if the USB stick works on USB 2.0 on your system, you can use it as boot device  and install windows.Installing windows may also help you to fix the issue about your external DVD drive, not working on the USB 2.0 port.

Thank You

Roshan.

4.4K Posts

March 9th, 2012 06:00

Hi they_see,

Yes right now that's the only solution.Boot using the bootable USB stick on USB 2.0 port to install windows.

Once you are done installing windows, to download the drivers,log on to www.support.dell.com,click on Drivers and Downloads,Enter your system service tag number to get the drivers for your specific system.

Thank You

Roshan.

No Events found!