Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 5th, 2014 05:00

New XPS 13 (9333) Constant Noise - relaunch

I'm posting this to re-open the debate around the electrical coil whine found in all new dell xps 13 model. The last thread was shut down because of breach of rules but it was an important place for people to keep an eye on when Dell would be releasing the updated board which promises to fix the problem.

Please tell us what you know about what's going on so everyone can be up to speed on what Dell is doing to fix the issue

September 14th, 2014 14:00

Hi Grumpydev, just curious about where you heard that others have confirmed the new board has fixed the coil whine noise? Is it just from DELL-Terry B?

September 15th, 2014 14:00

Oh yeah, Thanks for removing my username, Dell!

I'm not sure what is wrong with D3LL_

Is D3LL_wH1n3s_L1k3_A_BaBY available?

September 15th, 2014 14:00

Check the forums out there, mainly the notebookreview site.  The rep I spoke with also could not confirm it was fixed and mentioned she would email me documentation once she received it.  I'll post that if it ever comes in.

This could have been a great laptop but ended up being a painful experience for many.  I hated on apple hard for quite some time but no one can match their quality, so I'll be waiting for the Macbook Air Retina.

Hi

How do you know the new boards haven't fixed the issue? Have you got a new board that's still whining?

13 Posts

September 19th, 2014 04:00

Hi Grumpydev, just curious about where you heard that others have confirmed the new board has fixed the coil whine noise? Is it just from DELL-Terry B?

Just from Terry and the tech support person I've been dealing with. I'd be amazed if the customer facing people were lying about the fixes, but whether they have been given the correct information is another matter.

I haven't made my mind up what I'm going to do yet, been too busy, going to have a think about this weekend but leaning towards just getting a refund, even though it's the only laptop I actually want :/

4 Posts

September 20th, 2014 05:00

Hi,

I am still waiting for the new motherboard, currently delayed due to delivery delays.

The coil whine in combination with two additional piezoelectrical noised is very bad in my case which is why I still use my old notebook...since 3 months now.

Regards

2 Posts

September 20th, 2014 05:00

I bought a xps13 with a coil whine a few weeks ago.

I contacted my French Dell Tech Support and advised them of the internal document ID SLN293550.

They changed my motherboard yesterday, but the noise is still here.

I really don't know what to do to get ride of this annoyance.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

September 22nd, 2014 16:00

@Binouz3d,

Thank you for your feedback. I just sent you a friend request and will be happy to work with you.

Still there? Gee what a surprise! NOT! game over DELL!

Well I've just sunk a grand into a new xps 13 as it was on sale. Let's see if the trend continues or its going straight back 

59 Posts

September 24th, 2014 07:00

Hey BINOUZ3D,

How did it turned out?

2 Posts

September 26th, 2014 01:00

I can confirm the new system board does not make a difference to the noise problem

13 Posts

September 26th, 2014 01:00

I can confirm the new system board does not make a difference to the noise problem

Do you have a new system or an engineer installed new motherboard?

2 Posts

September 26th, 2014 03:00

A technician came and installed the new motherboard. No change in the noise unfortunately. Not quite sure how Dell tested this new motherboard as clearly many customers still have the problem even with the new board.

Must have poor system engineering processes

mt175

Do you have a new system or an engineer installed new motherboard?

2 Posts

September 28th, 2014 05:00

Hi,

I'll get a new motherboard next week.
I'll tell you how it'll work.

No Events found!