Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 5th, 2014 05:00

New XPS 13 (9333) Constant Noise - relaunch

I'm posting this to re-open the debate around the electrical coil whine found in all new dell xps 13 model. The last thread was shut down because of breach of rules but it was an important place for people to keep an eye on when Dell would be releasing the updated board which promises to fix the problem.

Please tell us what you know about what's going on so everyone can be up to speed on what Dell is doing to fix the issue

59 Posts

September 30th, 2014 07:00

Why is Terry and @DellcarsPRO both saying that the XPS13 bought after september the 5th will be shipped with new motherboards that don't have the coil noise, and the practice say's otherwise?

As Dr.Phill used to say, one of you is telling the truth ;)

1 Message

September 30th, 2014 12:00

Received my XPS 13 today and the coil whine is there. Going straight back to Dell.

59 Posts

October 1st, 2014 02:00

p.s. what about the 15 inch models, are they infected to?

59 Posts

October 1st, 2014 02:00

Tell us if you succeed sending it back.

October 3rd, 2014 16:00

my understanding is that 15 inch is OK no

11 Posts

October 5th, 2014 09:00

p.s. what about the 15 inch models, are they infected to?

Hi,

My Dell XPS 15 had the same issue. My mother board was replaced but that doesn't fix the problem. I am waiting for a second mb replacement but with no hope...

I am curious to know if the problem was solved for people who order an XPS now.

Edit: i am dealing with Dell France, don't know for other countries

1 Message

October 5th, 2014 12:00

Hi,

My Dell XPS 15 had the same issue. My mother board was replaced but that doesn't fix the problem. I am waiting for a second mb replacement but with no hope...

I am curious to know if the problem was solved for people who order an XPS now.

Edit: i am dealing with Dell France, don't know for other countries

Guessing there is no hope for this being fixed.  Man I used to like Dell might have to look elsewhere for laptops now then.  That's a shame.

October 7th, 2014 16:00

I still like their monitors. But its over for them and laptops. They just outright lie about fixes for years. I had coil whine on my laptop from 2010. They have no excuse.

4 Posts

October 8th, 2014 02:00

just had a mainboard swap.

- keyboard coil whine louder than before, noise frequency more homogeneous

- piezo-electrical cpu whine louder than before, noise frequency more homogeneous

1 Message

October 8th, 2014 07:00

Thanks for all the input people.  I was waiting to see if a XPS 13 dev edition would become available without the noise issue.  Given we have received no confirmation of that being the case, and only to the contrary I decided to give the macbook pro a chance by putting linux (ubuntu) on it.  

There is good documentation (for example search: ubuntu macbook 11,1) about the tweaks necessary and it's not actually that hard to follow.  The only thing that doesn't work is the builtin camera, everything else works like a champ.  I've got a super nice hi res. screen and battery life that can go for up to 7 hours.   I can't actually believe how well it's working, but thought I'd share it with you all in case somebody else is looking for an ultra portable with great screen, very good battery life and that runs linux.  And oh yeah, it is as quiet as a mouse.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

October 8th, 2014 12:00

Dear Community,

Thank you for your feedback and discussion.

I would ask that a few of you please add me as a friend and PM your case numbers. I will present the feedback to Dell engineering.

59 Posts

October 9th, 2014 01:00

DellCaresPro,

Just replace the BIOS that will fix the problem.....sure we believe that...no one has tried that !!!!!

2 Posts

October 22nd, 2014 06:00

I can also confirm that the replacement motherboards provided by Dell do not resolve the coil whine issue with the XPS 9333.

October 22nd, 2014 14:00

Come on Dell, you guys can get this right

October 22nd, 2014 14:00

Ditto

The whine is present. 

Didn't have the old model so don't know if it is louder or not.

I like the laptop so will have to wait for the new model with updated processors resolves issue and then see if dell will switch current one 

No Events found!